The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 08-17-2009, 02:24 AM   #31
lookout123
changed his status to single

Oh, FFS! i'm not a superstitious guy but I might become that wierd "won't touch rough gold doorknobs on the second thursday of every other month starting with j" kind of guy.

i honestly gave my recent update with genuine joy in my heart. LL since then has abruptly returned to the extreme emotional instability i witnessed pre-miracle drug. picture an eight year old sobbing for the the second hour for the 5th time within 48 hours stating, "i don't know why i'm crying, it just won't stop". he then continued on to the heartwrenching, "can i just go to sleep and not wake up?"

He's fucking 8! Let me reiterate... 8!!!

coinciding with this abrupt and painful reversal is a bizarre muscle spasm that causes him to look like a parkinson's patient. he bends at the waist, shifts to the right, then doubles over. he is completely unaware that he is doing it and in fact has said, "did i just do that thing again?"

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck!!!

for my many misteps and transgressions in life i deserve unthinkable consequences but this boy deserves nothing but... well, he's 8. he deserves to be a normal 8 year old.

out of the blue after 2 months of seemingly miraculous results the kid has developed the most unexpected of side effects from his miracle drug.

fufufufufuuuuuuck.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:34 AM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Fuck. Hang in there, man... you can do this.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:20 AM   #33
Griff
still says videotape

Damn it.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:24 AM   #34
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm so sorry, lookout.

This may be a weird question, but is there a chance he stopped taking the medication? I know both from personal and others' experiences that there's something inexplicable about these types of drugs that can give you the random desire to stop taking them when things are going well. The "hey, looks like I don't need them anymore" kind of syndrome. I'm sure you're not letting him completely self-administer them, but maybe he palmed it or something? On the other hand, if this is new behavior, not a return to the same old behavior, it may be a different thing entirely, fuck if I know what I'm talking about. Hang in there, man.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #35
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Maybe get him a pediatric psychiatrist. The MDs and psychologists may not know exactly how to treat the lad. Says on the abilify website that it's indicated for 10 and over.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #36
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*hugs* oh Lookout, I'm so sorry. What a fucking heartbreaking thing to see your little boy so distressed. I hope you find a solution for him, I really do.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #37
monster
I hear them call the tide

ugh. hang in there.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #38
Cloud

ah, poor baby. Heartrending indeed.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #39
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Sorry to hear that LO - I hope the docs figure it all out. Did anything change in his diet or lifestyle that might be interacting with the meds? I have no idea how to help... just thinkin out loud again.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #40
Nirvana
Back in 10

Old 08-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #41
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Dammit. Hang in there Lookout. We are all pulling for you and LL.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #42
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Shit damn fuck.

Try to keep us posted, if you can.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #43
monster
I hear them call the tide

Lookout, I have been pondering on this during the day, and it occured to me that some of my colleagues in the Cognitive Psychology dept at uni were unable to work with their patients when they had cold/flu/allergy issues because it interfered with the effects of their medication (I think someothing to do with the immune system). maybe he's just coming down with something or has a seasonal allergy that he no longer has singulair to deal with? here's hoping it's something temporary like that.....
Old 08-18-2009, 08:17 AM   #44
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Thinking of you and your family, cous. You WILL figure this out. Hang in there.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #45
lookout123
changed his status to single

thanks everyone. 1) I witnessed him take his med every single night so that isn't the issue. 2) While he does have allergies they have not flared up at all recently. 3) No major changes, dietary or otherwise.

Quite simply after roughly 2 months the kid developed a severe side effect to the med that was working. We are weening him off the med over the next two weeks and will wait another week after that to return to his baseline. We are being escalated to the staff psychiatrist because his case is becoming more complex. Lots of tests headed our way.

Lil Lookout is working with a clinic that specializes in childhood mental and emotional disorders. they have been described by quite a few people i know and trust as miracle workers so i do have faith we'll get this worked out eventually, it just sucks for LL to go through it all.

**Yes we are aware that Abilify is offlabel when used with 8 year olds but it is not uncommon. In fact there is an almost identical med from a different manufacturer that IS tested and approved for kids but it has a higher incidence of weight gain and stronger side effects. Abilify has fewer side effects so we went that route. Lil Lookout is just so special that he gets the rarest of side effects.