The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-23-2004, 09:23 AM   #1
goethean
ethics evolve.

Tami Silicio

Tami Silico was fired for taking pictures of coffins at Dover Air Force base.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...616268111.html
Attached Images

goethean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:30 AM   #2
glatt

One of these pictures was on the front page of today's Washington Post. The acompanying article made it sound like they were approved by the US military. They made a big deal about it in the article, because normally it isn't allowed.

I didn't read the entire article, but the first few paragraphs made it sound like the US military expressly authorised the photographs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/print/image/

Last edited by glatt; 04-23-2004 at 09:34 AM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:58 AM   #3
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

I thought it was an excellent piece of photojournalism. And the caption above the photo in the Seattle Post was so true and so honest.

Why would anyone get fired over the truth? No wait...don't answer that. I should know better living here (in the good old "free" US of A).

*dripping with slight sarcasm*

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
Pi
desperate finder

I understand why they don't want people to take photos of coffins. But I too believe that a good made photo like this one should be published once in a while to remember that war is deadly and I think this picture is very emotionally an that is important.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I understand why they don't want people to take photos of coffins. But I too believe that a good made photo like this one should be published once in a while to remember that war is deadly

What is the reason they don't want people taking photos of them, exactly? Because people might actually figure out that war is dangerous and that people die because of it?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:47 AM   #6
Pi
desperate finder

Too lazy looking it up, but somewhere was a iotd and the discussion gave, if I remember correctly, some good arguments
Old 04-23-2004, 10:55 AM   #7
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by glatt
One of these pictures was on the front page of today's Washington Post. The acompanying article made it sound like they were approved by the US military. They made a big deal about it in the article, because normally it isn't allowed.
If I understand properly, the pictures that just came out were taken by Defense Dept. employees and were obtained by The Memory Hole via FOIA. The photos taken by Tami Silico are not included in that and were not released through official channels (though, of course, they are now saying that responding to the FOIA request was a mistake too.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:25 AM   #8
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

I understand why the administration didn't want photojournalists to show America the returning fallen, but the fact the administration forbade it is just another piece of evidence, among many, that George W. Bush keeps a copy of the US Constitution on a cardboard roll next to his presidential toilet.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:34 AM   #9
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Actually, the ban dates back to the last Gulf War, but Clinton didn't enforce it.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:39 AM   #10
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy Monkey
Actually, the ban dates back to the last Gulf War, but Clinton didn't enforce it.
Ok, so George W. inherited the Constitution-themed poop-paper from his daddy. It doesn't change the fact that Jr. is all too happy to smear our symbol of freedom across his pasty white ass.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:47 AM   #11
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_pastrami

Ok, so George W. inherited the Constitution-themed poop-paper from his daddy. It doesn't change the fact that Jr. is all too happy to smear our symbol of freedom across his pasty white ass.
*clapping* Very well put, although now the visual of cottage cheese is going through my mind...

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:47 AM   #12
CzinZumerzet
.....short for Caz

I have read somewhere today that the ban originates from the Vietnam war when photos such as these were used on a daily basis by those campaigning against and protesting the draft etc.

I have lost someone dear to me in another war and spent long hours wondering where he was and if someone was watching over, carefully bringing him home. I would not presume to imagine what these photos might mean to family waiting at home, but I have an idea that it might have proved a comfort. This is too sad isn't it.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:11 PM   #13
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by Kitsune
I understand why they don't want people to take photos of coffins. But I too believe that a good made photo like this one should be published once in a while to remember that war is deadly

What is the reason they don't want people taking photos of them, exactly? Because people might actually figure out that war is dangerous and that people die because of it?
The government has learned by the mistakes it made in giving journalists free access to film and photograph the Vietnam War. Every night for three years the American public was subjected to nightly news casts which showed in graphic detail the suffering the war inflicted on both sides. Especially disturbing was the footage of our troops, caught in fire fights, wounded, dead, being evacuated out by helicopter. All this was shown at the dinner hour, right when everyone got home from work or school. My Dad did two tours in Vietnam. In those times it took 10 days for a letter from a soldier in Vietnam to reach the US. I can remember sitting glued to the TV, terrified that tonight it would be my Dad's turn to be filmed as one of the wounded or dead soldiers. The nightly news was a major factor in turning public opinion against the war. Bush will not make the same mistake of allowing us to see what our troops in the Gulf are enduring.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:29 PM   #14
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally posted by marichiko
The government has learned by the mistakes it made in giving journalists free access to film and photograph the Vietnam War. Every night for three years the American public was subjected to nightly news casts which showed in graphic detail the suffering the war inflicted on both sides. Especially disturbing was the footage of our troops, caught in fire fights, wounded, dead, being evacuated out by helicopter. All this was shown at the dinner hour, right when everyone got home from work or school. My Dad did two tours in Vietnam. In those times it took 10 days for a letter from a soldier in Vietnam to reach the US. I can remember sitting glued to the TV, terrified that tonight it would be my Dad's turn to be filmed as one of the wounded or dead soldiers. The nightly news was a major factor in turning public opinion against the war. Bush will not make the same mistake of allowing us to see what our troops in the Gulf are enduring.
The goverment could use the same broken logic to prevent people from publicly speaking against the war at all, which would violate our right to free speech. They're trampling our Constitutional rights regardless of what positive side-effects may exist alongside the numerous negative ones. Every once in a while the American goverment does something alarmingly Orwellian, and this is one such thing. Too many such things have occurred under the reign of George W. Bush, and whenever he vacates the White House, it won't be soon enough.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:32 PM   #15
jaguar
whig

She's right, it's politically powerful stuff. Take a look at the stuff coming out of Iraq, compared to what I hear from guys on the ground or have been on the ground the pictures are bland as hell, every time something major happens, no pics. How did 600 odd iraqis and a pile of US troops die in the last week without seeing one pic of the fighting. Don't tell me the PJs don't want to be there, hell, some of them live for the thrill, there is a concerted campaign going on to make sure just how hellish it is doesn't get out. Pictures are powerful. The right picture can change the course of public opinion, this administration is scared of that happening.