Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 01-22-2004, 01:46 PM   #241
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
There were no fights during the fourth quarter because the fans were suddenly entertained.
So what are you saying, Tony? Unless the Eagles own on every play, Philadelphians in attendence revert to a default Lord of the Flies mentality? In light of this hypothesis, the flare gun almost sounds like a desperate effort to refocus the attention of the crowd in only the way flying sparkly things can.

I mean, I thought Pittsburgh fans were horrific, but at least they have enough control to up and leave the stadium when whomever on the field turns to shit. You realize that? You are now worse than Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh.

Way to be, Philly.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:53 PM   #242
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

bad promotion idea

I've gotta think this isn't the best time to mail out solicitations for the Philadelphia Eagles Visa Card.

But I saw several of them sitting in our mail room just now!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 02:14 PM   #243
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Read the fine print carefully. There may be a clause signing card applicants up to play wide receiver next year.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:37 PM   #244
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Tony, please tell me that you are not trying to make excuses for the fans.

Brenda Warner...I worry about her...

IIRC, there is no more Eagles Court...I don't think it was brought over to the Linc. From what I've seen and heard, things seemed better this year in terms of rowdy fans. I would think that higher ticket prices and PSLs helped with that. But you're still going to have a few fucking idiots in the mix.

There are certainly bad football fans in other cities...Cleveland and New Orleans come to mind. But you tend to hear about Philadelphia fans the most--even before I moved here.

In St. Louis, when there is poor play, some fans just tend to get apathetic. When the football Cardinals decided to leave town in '88, in the end, I don't think many people cared. The team has a legacy of sucking ass...and it's not like the move to the desert has helped them much.

I think the biggest problem St. Louis ever had fan-wise was in the late 90s during a baseball Cardinals game. Mark McGwire got thrown out of a game...why I don't know...and the fans responded by throwing cups and what not on the field at Busch Stadium. Highly unusual...I hadn't seen anything like it before and haven't since.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:19 AM   #245
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

happy now, chewy?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:35 AM   #246
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

All I know is that if the Vet was still in business, I would never in the name of all that is holy, go to ANY football game. Why the hell would I subject myself to possible harrassment if I decided to wear the opposing teams colors? I have every right to do so without fear of getting jacked up.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 12:15 PM   #247
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The "Beat the shit out of the dude in opposing team colors or who cheers for the wrong team" tradition has transferred to the Linc, totally intact.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 12:57 PM   #248
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
The "Beat the shit out of the dude in opposing team colors or who cheers for the wrong team" tradition has transferred to the Linc, totally intact.
No, say it ain't so!!! I thought the riff raff would be outpriced, at least. Damn.... And they want people to bring their children to sporting events...ha, they must be mad!

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 12:45 AM   #249
wolf
lobber of scimitars

It's so.

Friend of mine works the medical aid station for every game. (His brother runs the ambulance company that has the contract for all the major sporting and entertainment events in Philadelphia.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:32 AM   #250
Hasan21
My English not good.

Do you know who bought Chelsi?
Hasan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:16 PM   #251
Griff
still says videotape

Roman Abramovich
Old 03-02-2004, 08:52 PM   #252
Hasan21
My English not good.

What do you think about Abramovich and Chelsi. It's Good or bad.
Hasan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:57 PM   #253
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

A rural American and a rural Russian talking Premier League English football?

I love this world!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 06:11 AM   #254
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by Hasan21
What do you think about Abramovich and Chelsi. It's Good or bad.
I don't know what the folks in Chelsea think of it but I like the idea of these international business/personal connections. They subvert nationalism and create opportunity. How'd Abramovich make his money? It'd be a bummer if this was part of a money laundering scheme.

Quote:
Toadster said A rural American and a rural Russian talking Premier League English football?
On the internet, everybodies an expert. I didn't know if anyone with real knowlege would catch the reference.