The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #181
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, you're right. Hell, somebody's got to take care of the Contras.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #182
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Yes but US made "assault rifles" are only used by good guys, the bad guys use AK's made in China and the former Soviet Bloc countries.
Do you remember The A Team? [Dah da-dahhh ... duh dahhh duhhh!]

Notice how they always used AK-47s? I've heard the US military specifically didn't want them using M-16s because they were "renegades" and this would be bad for the army's image.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #183
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Local gun restrictions don't work. Guns are small and easily smuggled across local borders where there are no border controls. Border controls only exist on the national level, and that is the only level where gun restrictions have a chance of working.
While homicides with guns are down, nationally, they have increased dramatically in Chicago - which has very strict gun control laws.

On the other hand, homicides with guns are down in New York City, which also has strict gun control laws.

In California, we've had a HUGE increase in the number of guns, since Obama became president. The recent gun show in Ontario, CA had people waiting for 3 hours to get in - and the number of people allowed in had to be restricted nearly all day because they would otherwise grossly exceed the occupancy limit set by the fire dept.

There is NO ARGUMENT that Obama has been the best thing that ever happened to gun shops and shows in CA -- since EVER.

And our gun homicides have decreased, despite the large increase in firearms owned by the public.

And if you MUST call any rifle an "assault" rifle, you should know that NONE *ZERO* of the rifles being sold today, would qualify.

Assault rifles (which are made to assault the enemy in war), ALWAYS have a full automatic setting. No rifles sold to the public in the US, have that feature. That's been true since the 1930's.

The rifles you see today may look the same, because they use a lot of black plastic for the stock, etc., but they are NOT assault rifles. They are ordinary semi-automatic rifles with plastic, instead of the traditional wooden, stock.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #184
Adak
Lecturer

The Miss America contestant was asked to respond to this question:
"Should we put armed guards in our schools?"

Her "winning" response was:
"No, we shouldn't fight violence with violence."

ROFL!!

What the liberals would do is have the kids hide under their desks, and pray that the nutcase won't see them.

Well, OMG! He's nutty, but he's not blind!

Here's how it should go down:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/10/us/hom...rticle_sidebar

Now I know, I'm bringing up a FACTUAL incident, and not something a liberal dreamed up, but there it is:

Mother alone at home with her children, shoots the home invader 5 times, while her husband gives her advice over the cell phone.

He had taught her how to shoot, just two weeks before.

Unfortunately, the home invader lived, but in an odd twist, the Sheriff has not arrested him yet. That means HE will have to be responsible for the cost of his medical bills, and THEN the Sheriff will arrest him.

Sweet!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #185
IamSam
Now living the life of a POW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post

There is NO ARGUMENT that Obama has been the best thing that ever happened to gun shops and shows in CA -- since EVER.
Yeah, the Lee Harvey Oswald crowd will be coming out of the woodwork any day now.

Quote:
The rifles you see today may look the same, because they use a lot of black plastic for the stock, etc., but they are NOT assault rifles. They are ordinary semi-automatic rifles with plastic, instead of the traditional wooden, stock.
I'm sure that if they'd only known that, those 20 children would have died happy.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:55 AM   #186
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

From Adak's article:

Quote:
"It's more common for an armed homeowner in the United States to be a victim of suicide, homicide, assault or an accidental shooting than it is for that person to shoot an intruder," according to Dr. Arthur Kellermann, a senior health policy analyst at Rand Corporation, a non-partisan think tank.

Kellermann led research for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the 1990s which found that people who have guns in their homes are nearly three times more likely to be a victim of homicide and nearly five times more likely to commit suicide.

Yey for guns!

Also:

Quote:
Unfortunately, the home invader lived,

Why unfortunately? Why do we want the man to die? Any violent assault he had in mind was averted. Why does he deserve to die, for breaking into a house?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 AM   #187
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Unfortunately, the home invader lived, but in an odd twist, the Sheriff has not arrested him yet. That means HE will have to be responsible for the cost of his medical bills, and THEN the Sheriff will arrest him.

Sweet!
Doesn't that mean that patients are sharing accommodations with a suspected violent criminal who is not under police guard? Isn't that the reason some hospitals have prison wards?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #188
IamSam

Yeah, never mind the fact that leaving a criminal unguarded in a regular hospital bed is an open invitation to escape.

Criminal: Oh nurse, I'm still so weak that I can barely sit up! (heh, heh, heh)

Ten minutes later said criminal is climbing out the window on his tied together bed sheets.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #189
Adak
Lecturer

Most accidents with firearms are caused by kids or adults who do not know how to safely handle a firearm, and they get access to the gun.

If you are going to play with rattlesnakes, and you aren't trained in how to do it safely, you can expect to get bit, sooner or later.

Owners know to lock up their guns - but they don't do it. God only knows why.

Quote:
Why unfortunately? Why do we want the man to die? Any violent assault he had in mind was averted. Why does he deserve to die, for breaking into a house?
It's a woman alone with two kids, in the middle of the day, on a work day.

Now ask yourself:
"Why did he choose that house to break into?" There were empty houses in the neighborhood, at that time. "Why this house?"

Because he knew there was a woman in the house.

He wasn't after money, he wasn't after prescription meds or drugs. He intended to rape the woman. Whether he would have killed her (and the two kids who might ID him), or not, I don't know. The sheriff said "Yes, there would have been three homicides there."

I'd have to see his record of previous offenses, and his drug work up at the hospital, to make any call on that.

He's not able to walk around, just yet. She hit him 5 times out of the 6 shots she fired (it was a revolver). They know how to handle it so that he's left penniless from the hospital bills, in addition to facing criminal and other civil charges.

He's a broken toy, imo. He's either a robber, burglar, and probable rapist, or a robber, burglar, rapist, and probable murderer. He needs to be returned to his maker.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #190
Adak
Lecturer

So V.P. Joe Biden is giving a speech equating air bags with gun ownership. Oh! We'll save lives!

Which just happens to make our second amendment INALIENABLE right, <given by God, and inseparable from us>, if enacted, into a mere privilege.

May I be allowed to suggest that Mr. Biden, Go to Hell, and take his God Damned "privileges" for gun ownership by citizens in good standing, right along with him?

Dateline: Florida ( where else? lol )

Homeowner heard his dog barking, and finally went to see what the racket was all about. Since it was late in the evening, he brought his pistol with him.

Good thing, because he was greeted with the sight of a completely naked man, choking his Rottweiler. Seeing him, the naked man left the dog and attacked the owner, who finally succeeded in shooting the intruder in the leg.

The police spokesperson said that they arrested him, and were having him tested, since he probably was on drugs at the time.

Gee, do you think? < ROFL! >

I wonder what our Miss America would suggest here, as a non-violent response?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #191
IamSam

Quote:

I wonder what our Miss America would suggest here, as a non-violent response?
If you mean Dana, I'm sure she'll speak for herself - if she feels like replying to your hyperbole, that is.

Meanwhile: Woman is working alone one night as a relief clerk/night auditor at a motel with a rough clientel - young males, mostly Native Americans, who can't wait to get off the Rez every weekend, rent a room in the nearest town and get drunk on their asses with the results you might expect.

One night our heroine hears banging noises and the sound of glass shattering at the back of the building. She calls 9/11 to alert the local cops of a potential break-in/robbery, grabs her trusty pepper spray and circles around back to see what's going on.

Sure enough, a drunk is trying to break in thru the laundry room, and alcohol is not the only substance he's high on. When he turns around to see who's interrupting his fun, he gets a good burst of pepper spray square in the face. He falls to the ground bellowing in pain and rubbing his eyes which have been temporarily blinded.

The cops arrive, hear the story of what went down before they arrived on the scene, and recognize the drunk as someone whose attempted break-in was not his first time at the rodeo. The guy is cuffed, placed in the back of the patrol car and locked up in the county jail where the pepper spray gradually wears off, leaving no lasting injury.

The rest of the night is quiet, the motel books balanced, and no first graders were harmed.

You can take your assault weapon and jam it where the sun don't shine.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #192
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
The Miss America contestant was asked to respond to this question:
"Should we put armed guards in our schools?"

Her "winning" response was:
"No, we shouldn't fight violence with violence."

ROFL!!

What the liberals would do is have the kids hide under their desks, and pray that the nutcase won't see them.

Well, OMG! He's nutty, but he's not blind!

Here's how it should go down:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/10/us/hom...rticle_sidebar

Now I know, I'm bringing up a FACTUAL incident, and not something a liberal dreamed up, but there it is:

Mother alone at home with her children, shoots the home invader 5 times, while her husband gives her advice over the cell phone.

He had taught her how to shoot, just two weeks before.

Sweet!
Anecdotal evidence is no kind of proof. And one byte of data is not a full meal.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #193
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
Anecdotal evidence is no kind of proof. And one byte of data is not a full meal.
And do you sir, have ANY evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, showing that unarmed, defenseless people, are safe from violence?

What about the recent shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CONN?

That was a GUN FREE Zone, AND the shooter was prohibited BY LAW, from possessing a gun.

Are you learning something here?

Like yourself, I WISH that people were not given to such extremes of violence - but I recognize that is only a WISH, and has no relation to reality. Never has been that way, and it never will be that way.

Real People are armed. Sheeple People are dreamers, hoping not to be seen when they try and hide under their desks.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #194
Adak
Lecturer

There's no need to shoot a drunk who is causing no one any serious harm.

He's drunk, and he's trying to get inside a hotel where he'd like a room, or help to find his room - he's not trying to rape or kill or kidnap anyone.

There's no need to fire a gun unless the threat is very immediate, and very serious.

Real People are armed. Sheeple People rely on their invisibility cloaks to avoid being a victim.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #195
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Moved to HERE because this thread is Adak's pet rant against Democrats thread, and gun violence knows no such political distinctions.

Last edited by BigV; 01-14-2013 at 11:18 AM.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote