The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-12-2002, 12:36 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

60 Minutes covers Colombian story

Finally. The Guardian (UK) wrote about this nine months ago or so, and it finally becomes a nat'l US media story: we're spraying Roundup on Colombian children and it's hurting them. You read it here first. Well no you didn't; you read it in the <a href="http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/6/21/1855/23919">story I posted to K5</a>, sorry I forgot to CC us here. My bad.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 12:45 AM   #2
Nic Name
retired

Rumsfeld says he's gonna "Roundup" the Al Qaeda terrorists.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 12:53 AM   #3
Nic Name
retired

Quote:
According to BushWatch ... The official Monsanto-government lie was embarrassingly exposed last December when Sen. Paul Wellstone, D-Minn., went to Colombia to witness the pinpoint accuracy of our spraying. Standing well away from the coca field, the senator was drenched in Roundup on the very first flyover. Oops."
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 11:10 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

hypocrites

Its funny how quiet the Republicans have gotten on this now. When Clinton/Gore started spraying Colombian kids they were up in arms. Now that Bush Co. is following through with the same policy, not a peep. Drug war? Its still about oil. Oh yah, don't forget about the natives getting run off their land either.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 11:15 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

oops!

Oh sorry, its terrorism now isn't it? That makes it okay eh?

" A good end cannot sanctify evil means; nor must we ever do evil, that good may come of it." William Penn
Old 01-17-2002, 02:13 PM   #6
russotto
Professor

Monsanto has made roundup-resistant crops. Genes being as promiscuous as they are, what do you figure the chances are that some enterprising drug grower won't manage to get that gene into his coca and then get free weed control courtesy of the US govt?
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 03:13 PM   #7
jaguar
whig

GOd i hate monsanto, what a fucking disgusting company, its CEO, executives and board of directors should be sodomised by wild goats then dumped in a large vat or thier own toxix waste.

THen add any fucking dipshit that thinks they "war on drugs" is gonna work. I lvoe it here, Howard (our prime minister/min furher)
claimed we "won" the war on drugs, because the herion availaible had gone though the floor iwth his "tough on drugs" policy....nevermind afghanisatn stoped producing at the same time and use of other drugs skyrocketed as a result.....

Anyhere seen traffic? Fantastic film. The director of that absolutely rocks, he also did oceans 11, which is hands down the BEST film is een in at least a year (haven't seen LOTR yet)
Old 01-17-2002, 03:16 PM   #8
dave

He also did <b>Erin Brockovich</b> and a ton of less notable flicks.

<b>Ocean's 11</b> was very good. I definitely enjoyed it. Too bad it's not all original.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:19 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

ditto on Traffic. It really pealed back the layers of the onion. We have to encourage folks who wouldn't normally see that kinda flic to just watch it.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:21 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Steven Soderburgh. Debuted with the excellent "Sex, Lies, and Videotape".
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 03:22 PM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

first Ocean

Sammy D. Jr. The last of the triple threats.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:39 PM   #12
jaguar
whig

of course its a remake - but the origional sucke,d iv'e seen it.
THe film is a: jsut so frigging stylish, the way its done, the clothes, the music, everyhting is so frigging stylish and slick there should be oil dripping off it. B; the editing and direction were fabulous, at no point does the film lag, does it skip, its fast paced but not too fast paced, perfectly done, i love it. There is a good reason i didn't mention erinborokvich

Yea, traffic did a good job no question about it, although the yellow/blue lenses on the flim pissed me off after awhile, it look like someone pissed on mexico (wait a minute.... )

One of the best bits in that film is when they're in the carpark, and the mexican asassin is about to shoot the other guy, pulls outthegun, and gets sniped in the back by the other guy. PIty they mixed up the entry/exit wounds. (there was a chunk mising out of his back, and a hole in th front, tehre hsoudl have been a huge chunk out of his chest, adn a litle hole in his back, modern AP shells are very not pretty)