FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-03-2004, 11:41 AM   #16
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
How's about merely stating something like "my guy lost."

That would be sufficient.
HUH? That doesn't even make sense. How does the phrase "my guy lost" voice any sort of opinion?
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:43 AM   #17
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

going to the dentist today, cunt. er, i mean garnet.......... you stupid cunt.

posted a picture of yourself yet?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:45 AM   #18
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

cmon, fatty. it's easy to sit and throw stones when no one knows whether or not you live in a glass house. show me your flawless likeness and your perfect teeth.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:48 AM   #19
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
going to the dentist today, cunt. er, i mean garnet.......... you stupid cunt.

posted a picture of yourself yet?
Cunt? Wow, you're getting desperate. Just what I'd expect of a sleazy, white-trash used car salesman with bad teeth.

Hey they have new clear braces nowthat can fix that horrible crooked tooth you have in front. If you get those, you might have an easier time scamming people into buying the broken down junk cars that you sell.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:50 AM   #20
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
cmon, fatty. it's easy to sit and throw stones when no one knows whether or not you live in a glass house. show me your flawless likeness and your perfect teeth.
Well, at least you admit your teeth are bad. You know, the first step to getting help is admitting that you have a problem.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:50 AM   #21
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
Well-off? That's a bit of a generalization. I work for a charitable non-profit org and took a 50% pay cut to do so. "Well-off" isn't in my vocabulary anymore. Would I actually move to Canada or anywhere else? Probably not. I haven't given up on this country--I'm just very saddened by the choice the people here have just made.
You left off the second half of my observation.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:54 AM   #22
jaguar
whig

Boy this thread is friendly. I'm willing to sponser any political asylum seekers to Australia, Switzerland or Britain.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:54 AM   #23
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

chicken
Old 11-03-2004, 11:58 AM   #24
redsonia
Wet Nurse's Aide

I just took the test for immigration on the Canadian website and I qualify as a skilled worker. Now all I need to find is $20,000 Canadian dollars to support me and my family in Canada for 6 months, and I'm on my way . . . :p
redsonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:01 PM   #25
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Other countries may not be "better," but I have travelled extensively in Europe and do not see the reactionary, flag-waving, uneducated "we're-the-best" bullshit from people there that I see here.
That is because they are not us. They are not the best.

Consider this possibility ... they do it, but without the flags.

National pride is something that does not solely exist in the United States. But we are the only country where people think they should feel bad about being themselves. That I don't get.

Enjoy your trip.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:03 PM   #26
jaguar
whig

Plenty of national pride in the UK, mostly white trash. Plenty in Switzerland, small flags, general sense of pride in enviornment and community. Not the wierd patriotism the US seems to inspire though. Still, the sun is setting on the American centuary, it's all good.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:09 PM   #27
cyber snoop
Under mostly cloudy skies

Quote:
HUH? That doesn't even make sense. How does the phrase "my guy lost" voice any sort of opinion?
Being a gracious loser is an opinion. In a way.
cyber snoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:10 PM   #28
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

My sons, ages 13 and 14, are NOT cannon fodder. I will NOT allow them to be drafted when this stupid effing war is still raging when they turn eighteen.

And, Jag, I'm curious; who do you propose to lead England? Who shall lead us all? IIRC the Porteguese did a fine job at one time...
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:11 PM   #29
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
That is because they are not us. They are not the best.

Consider this possibility ... they do it, but without the flags.

National pride is something that does not solely exist in the United States. But we are the only country where people think they should feel bad about being themselves. That I don't get.
Actually, we're the only country that feels the world should see how proud we are about our country and insist the world be in awe over it too. There's nothing wrong with national pride. It's that pride that can hold a country together when other things are pulling it apart. But it's chastising other countries for, frankly, not caring about our pride or how proud we are that's the problem and that's part of the problem up on the Hill at present. No, other countries aren't the USA. And the 'best' is purely subjective. They aren't obligated to be in awe and admire how much we love our country. Though lately, our National Pride is getting to be more like a touch of narcissism than anything else.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:14 PM   #30
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
Plenty of national pride in the UK, mostly white trash. Plenty in Switzerland, small flags, general sense of pride in enviornment and community. Not the wierd patriotism the US seems to inspire though. Still, the sun is setting on the American centuary, it's all good.
I was in Poland in June, and the Polish are some of the proudest people I've ever met. And despite what they've had to overcome in their tumultuous past, they don't feel the need to shove their well-deserved national pride down the throats of everyone else. And I'm sure the same could be said of almost every other European country. There's nothing wrong with patriotism or national pride--just that many in the US have taken it to the point where it is obnoxious and embarrassing.