The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-23-2005, 08:11 PM   #211
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
I mock thee who proclaimed for the mental midget president and brought god's wrath down upon us.
TW, you're still a dingdong (and a bigger ass than Dogberry), though occasionally you aspire to Ho Ho. Though you seldom reach it, being generally unfunny as well as a crank.

It's a questionable habit of the more stupid among the Left to tell us right-of-center Presidents are all dumb. Thus they salve their bruised egos, egos singularly prone to easy bruising -- or they hope to. But their hope is dashed: the people the Left tells us are stupid are the people to whom the Left loses elections, and repeatedly. It's chronic. It happened again in 2004. This does not demonstrate leftist intellectual superiority, but instead the inferior quality of leftist thinking, which produces the typically inferior Leftist candidate. If you are Left, you are made perennially stupid by your lousy ideology. Seems to me you could stand to wake the hell up and commence a program of adult thinking. Funny that you won't, if you're really so brilliant as all that.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 09-23-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 09:35 PM   #212
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Instead of dropping my children off at day care 3 days per week, I know drop them off on Monday and pick them up Thursday.

Yes, the price of gas has affected me, but possibly not in a bad way.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:00 PM   #213
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
The point tw is making is that if religious nuts can invoke an angry God whenever something bad happens, he can do the same invoking a more rational God's reaction to heretics like Bush.
Darn. I was hoping no one would explain it so that Urbane Guerrilla would not understand. Sooner or later, someone was going to leak the code.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 12:34 AM   #214
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts
Instead of dropping my children off at day care 3 days per week, I know drop them off on Monday and pick them up Thursday.
Sleepover daycare. Great idea!!

Gas, schmas ...

It's under $3 today. At the expensive, but more convenient, station on my way to work. $2.87 at the pain-in-the-ass station.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:11 AM   #215
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

You may recall a previous post where our governor removed all tax from gas. It lowered our prices about 15 cents per gal. Yesterday he decided he is closing all county and city schools Mon. and Tues. to save gas. I'm not sure yet what my opinion is on this issue, but I must say he is definately a doer and not a talker.
I wonder if the school closing will actually save any fuel. Hell, it may make people use more.......
Old 09-24-2005, 12:53 PM   #216
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

He said it would save half a million gallons of diesel fuel plus some on the operation of the physical plants themselves. I thought he said he was using two of the alloted snow days early. Snow days? Georgia?
Old 09-24-2005, 08:33 PM   #217
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
He said it would save half a million gallons of diesel fuel plus some on the operation of the physical plants themselves. I thought he said he was using two of the alloted snow days early. Snow days? Georgia?
As we all know, Georgia is as subject to the wrath of God as anywhere else. I'm sure we'll be reading about the blizzards soon.

Frankly, I feel for the folks in the small, isolated communities like the ones on Colorado's West Slope or in Eastern Utah. I had the misfortune to be low on gas in Bluff, Utah a couple of days ago. $3.32/gallon, thank you very much.

Does anyone know how far Bluff is from ANYWHERE? Probably not. I can't imagine what this will do for the mentality of some folks in those isolated little Mormon towns. Wrath of God, indeed! I thought I was going to puke if I had to drive through one more teensy little town with the Bank of Zion prominently situated across the street from the local gas station with its $3.30/gallon plus prices.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:20 PM   #218
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well, it did snow in Idaho today.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:55 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 01:29 AM   #219
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Scenic, but not exactly noteworthy in terms of meterological oddities. Now, if they'd had a *hurricane* in Idaho...
Old 09-25-2005, 08:10 AM   #220
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Snow days? Georgia?
Although it seldom accumulates, yes it "snows" here almost every year. If you are one of the lucky ones you may actually get to glimpse a snowflake or two before it hits the ground and melts. If there is the faintest hint that it WILL snow, all the schools and half the businesses close automatically. Like a bunch of kids at christmas, waiting on a gift that never comes. Funny as hell to me. And funniest thing is I'm right in the middle of it. Georgia is not prepared for snow or ice, so it only takes a little to bring power lines down, make trees fall into the roads, etc. Even knowing that, EVERYBODY just sits around and PRAYS for snow.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:21 AM   #221
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
Although it seldom accumulates, yes it "snows" here almost every year. If you are one of the lucky ones you may actually get to glimpse a snowflake or two before it hits the ground and melts. If there is the faintest hint that it WILL snow, all the schools and half the businesses close automatically.
Damn, I miss those days. I rememeber one year it snowed on a Sunday and they automatically closed schools in Gwinnett county for Monday and Tuesday because it was so heavy. Sunday evening, the snow began to melt and on Monday morning it was gone. On Tuesday, it hit 65F outside and all us schoolkids were in heaven. It was awesome.

Of course, there is always the snow Atlanta saw in the blizzard of '94. That was true insanity for the South.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:05 AM   #222
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Gasoline? Only a trivial symptom. Notice that virtually no one has changed their driving habits.
This statement has been made by you many, many times and I finally figured out what it is that need to comment on. True, people need to start changing their driving habbits in order to compensate for the higher gas prices. However, the gas prices have only been really, really high for a very short time, and we've been driving the way we do for a very, very long time. You're asking people to change decades and decades of driving habbits in a few months. I also can't imagine that there hasn't been some sort of change occuring over the last few months. I myself am not as 'willey-nilley' about driving all over town for no good reason. I pick and plan my driving trips to incorporate several errands in one trip and I try not to drive all over town. We should car pool but we always can't especilly when my wife has a meeting at school till seven and I need to pick up two very tired girls from their school.

The United States is about convienience. It's convinient to have your own car. We love to drive.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:06 PM   #223
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Hobbs, tw isn't trying to convince people to change their driving habits. He's saying that obviously gas prices are not too high since the driving habits haven't changed yet.

If gas prices were really too high, you wouldn't say "we should car pool but we can't..." You would simply car pool because you had no other choice. If convenience is still an option, then gas must not be too expensive yet.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #224
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Relief at the gas pump is progressing visibly here in southern CA: $2.68/gallon this morning, down four cents from yesterday. Not bad for the pricey California blends, especially those oxygenated winter ones.

California gas prices act like the light curve of a Cepheid -- abrupt rise and considerably more gradual decline. Everyone in the state knows this means fat profits for the refiners. No one's yet been able to bring them to heel about this, though building a couple of major new refineries would likely help. I don't know how much of the comparatively quick price relief has a political basis this time -- but Californians also know we get none of our oil from Gulf production.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:47 PM   #225
Griff
still says videotape

I'm just glad I heat with wood.

My peekup is in the shop so I borrowed the bro-in-laws to get some fencing. Traditionally we fill the tank on a borrowed truck... $47 dollars freaking ouch. I'm gonna drive that smugmobile in all kinds of inappropriate weather this winter.