The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-02-2004, 02:58 AM   #1
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Vote: Bring ID and expect other surprises

Assume the worst in all polling places. Anyone may challenge you. Bring multiple IDs - especially something with a picture. Probably will not require them, but... Especially important to have numerous IDs if still standing in line after official poll closing time. IDs that qualify include driver's licenses, voter registration card, multiple utiliity bills, SS card, credit cards, etc. You must have IDs if newly registered. Many of those IDs by themselves can be challenged by political party extremists. Even if a USPS letter was forward by you to another address, then a challenge may deny you voting without significant proof. They have been planning voting challenges that far in advance. You may have to provide multiple IDs if dirty tricks are exercised.

Anyone in line when polls are suppose to close will be permitted to vote. Anyone who leaves that line for any reason after official poll closing time (ie to take a piss) may not be allowed to vote. They will be that picky. Polls might be that contencious because this President has lied about so much from the 11 September and WMDs to being a compassionate conservative (better called a right wing religious extremist). Therefore everyone is angry. Lawyers will be aggressive. Expect hate everywhere because of this president his righteous supporters, and the last four years.

In the meantime, those in PA and upper NY State are advised to vote early. Rain in the afternoon and evening could have many potential voters standing in the rain for an hour. No saying how crowded polls will be since the number of voters is expected to be almost double the amount normally handled.

Only double the norm if turnout is somewhere at or slightly above 50% of registered voters. If turnout is better, well ... bring umbrellas, a good (but not expensive) book, and a beach chair. Plan for the worst - which also means bring multiple IDs. Challenging IDs using procedures previously not used will be another dirty trick by Democrats and Republicans to subvert patriots (independents) and the other party's members. Such challenges will be most common in polls with large numbers of new voters - where religious right extremists (who vote regularly) are therefore leasts likely to be challenged.

If poll problems are going to happen, they will happen in this election. We may be voting as to whether we go to nuclear war. Some people will do anything to protect the warrior president. Expect the worst when ideology is more important than other voters. Probably not, but it could get that adversarial. Expect the worst.

And for those who worry too much, spend three minutes at this web site for some soothing music:
http://www.jibjab.com/

Last edited by tw; 11-02-2004 at 04:31 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:12 AM   #2
Nothing But Net
Professor

I'll be totin' the 9 to the pollin' place. Ain't nobody gonna tell me I cain't vote!
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 06:58 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

In Pennsylvania we all have the same election officials we have had for the last 3 years, and I will expect exactly the same procedure I have had at every election since living here, in which I've voted in every election in which I was eligible.

I don't need ID because the election officials know me personally. But the procedure in PA doesn't require ID anyway.

If you vote in PA and are not subject to any additional requirements, you will know tw is just being paranoid. Paranoia will prevent people from voting which is why this particular tactic may backfire on the Ds. They were instructed to make a fuss pre-election. Bad idea.

Have a nice day.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:01 AM   #4
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Isn't carrying a firearm to a polling place illegal? Especially since many are located in schools? Forewarned is forearmed, or unarmed in this case.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:19 AM   #5
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I got through this morning with no problems and no objections with just my voter card. Much ado over...little, perhaps?

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:39 AM   #6
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

VA isn't a swing state.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:48 AM   #7
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

My suburban-Philly polling place was absolutely MOBBED this morning. Every time I've voted there before, the poll workers have outnumbered the people waiting by a solid margin; this morning, there must've been 150 people waiting when I got there.

I bailed, and will go back this afternoon no matter what the line is then.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:59 AM   #8
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
I don't need ID because the election officials know me personally. But the procedure in PA doesn't require ID anyway.
It does if you're voting in a polling place for the first time.

I voted about 15 minutes ago...easy cheese. No one challenged my right to vote...everything was apparently fine...waited for about 15 minutes. My polling place (which is in my apartment complex) was just on TV...though they listed us as being in East Falls...ummm, no.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:03 AM   #9
Pie
Gone and done

Voted in Joisey this morning at 7:15. Only one person in line in front of me in the N-Z section... I wasn't asked for ID, just to countersign my entry in the book of registered voters. Voted on the electronic machine -- pretty simple.
However, as we were leaving, the blue-hairs were yelling at each other about whether one could unplug an electronic voting machine without losing the votes already cast....

It ain't gonna be pretty, folks.

- Pie
Old 11-02-2004, 08:29 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
If poll problems are going to happen, they will happen in this election. We may be voting as to whether we go to nuclear war. Some people will do anything to protect the warrior president. Expect the worst when ideology is more important than other voters. Probably not, but it could get that adversarial. Expect the worst.
TW, what medication that you are supposed to be taking did you stop taking?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:32 AM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR
Isn't carrying a firearm to a polling place illegal? Especially since many are located in schools? Forewarned is forearmed, or unarmed in this case.
I would think It's only illegal if its considered federal property for the purposes of the election, or if the location of the polling place is already restricted by state or federal law.

I haven't checked www.packing.org but I'm sure this has been discussed.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 11-02-2004, 08:32 AM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore
Ithough they listed us as being in East Falls...ummm, no.
That means that your rent's gonna go up because you now live in a better neighborhood ...

Old 11-02-2004, 08:45 AM   #13
Kitsune
still eats dirt

To all the people who stood in line for four hours to vote early: suckers! Took me under one hour to vote this morning.

...and, of course, my vote dissapeared into some mysterious machine that has no power backup should the power fail. Or, perhaps my vote ended up on the mysterious digital card I was told to put into the cardboard box when I was done? I have no idea.

Bring back paper ballots.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:39 AM   #14
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It's no five hours, but it took me 35 minutes to vote today, and that's in a district that never has lines. Luckily, I had the choice between paper and electronic, so I chose paper.

Ironically, the first election I've seen that had a line out the door and past the electioneer-do-not-cross-line also had the lowest number of electioneers I've seen.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:42 AM   #15
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I walked in, signed next to my name on the voter registration, flashed my matching voter card, and was instructed to "take my pick" of booths. I did, it was easy, and I left. 10 minutes.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote