The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #136
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

So, Trump accepts tonight and the talkin' heads are asking (other talkin' heads) 'what do you want to hear him say in his speech?'.

I want to hear...

*that he's gonnna leave me alone
*that's he gonna do his damnedest to restrain Congress and the Supreme Court so they'll leave me alone
*that my failures are mine to suffer alone and my successes are mine to enjoy alone

...then...

I wanna hear him talk about how he's gonna make that happen.

That would be a good start...not holdin' my breath anything he sez tonight will approach that.

I know for a fact nuthin' Clinton sez during her acceptance will come near what I'd like.

Johnson mebbe could say things I wanna hear, but he's got a a snowball's chance of gettin' the Big Chair.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #137
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Well henry? What did you think of his speech?
Old 07-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #138
henry quirk

Missed it...got caught up in playin' Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens with the kid...from the snippets and analysis I've heard between then and now it seems I didn't mss much.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #139
classicman

Well here it is if you want to watch and report back.
I'd be interested in your feedback.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #140
henry quirk

I'll take a gander later today or tomorrow...bein' hounded by a ten year old right now.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #141
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
I'll take a gander later today or tomorrow...bein' hounded by a ten year old right now.
Being stalked by a ten year old? Does he have a gun (real or virtual)?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #142
henry quirk

my half-assed anal-ysis

Never got 'round to watchin' the video...the ten-year stalked me like a feral cat, shot me dead with his bb gun, and ate my heart.

The corpse of me read Trump's speech this morning.

Meh, boils down to this: 'This is what's wrong, this is who to blame, me and mine are gonna fix things up all spiffy-like'.

My crystal ball (which I just got back from the shop) sez Clinton's speech (usin' different words, you understand) will be the same.

She'll preach a bit on what a grand success Obama has been, of course, and promise to do an even more bang-up job, but -- mostly -- it'll be 'bad shit caused by bad guys which I'll clean up'.

Nuthin' nowhere from any one promisin' to leave me be.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #143
henry quirk

NOTA 2016!

Read the text of Mrs. Clinton's speech this morning.

What I came away with: 'I'm a better Republican than Donald Trump.'
Old 07-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #144
glatt

There are always more votes in the middle than at either end. She figures if the Bernie supporter are kicking her to the curb, then maybe she should try to scoop up some in the middle.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #145
henry quirk

Are there really that many middle-of-the road, undecided, folks to harvest?
Old 07-30-2016, 01:28 PM   #146
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

there are, but they're unlikely to vote. I think there are a LOT of people whose level of engagement and interest/ability for critical thinking are insufficient to impel them to choose, to make the effort to have a preference. But this bar is much lower than actual voting, if you don't give a shit, you're not gonna vote either.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:54 AM   #147
classicman

I'm one of those in the middle people and I'm invested enough in voting, but not for either of those two whorish hags the R's and D's have trotted out. I'll be supporting Gary Johnson.
As an aside - - - I'm shocked that no one seems to give a rats ass that the D's basically got caught colluding and fixing an election. What was the penalty for the architect? She got hired by the one who Orchestrated the whole thing. Next up? Perhaps running the Clinton Foundation.
Damn, but all the hypocrites that do nothing but point fingers at the other team are REALLY QUIET about this whole cheating thing.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:55 AM   #148
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The thing is, this isn't an election year where you can cry hypocrisy, because no one's even pretending to be fair or balanced. The vast majority of Hillary supporters aren't really supporting Hillary, they're just terrified of Trump. And they recognize (correctly, I suspect) that any scandal against her works against their better interest. In a normal year, they'd quibble, "Ah, it's just Republican spin, it didn't really happen that way." This year, most would say, "Yeah, she totally stole the election. Doesn't matter; don't care."

Honestly, I wasn't terrified of him until he picked Pence. I had been suspecting this whole time that he was really the moderate-to-liberal douchebag he's always been (see: supporting Democrats in the past, blowing off the Evangelicals, calling for legalization of marijuana, etc.) and was waiting on his VP pick to prove that, especially considering that the VP will be running everything if he's elected (Trump admitted as much, though now that it looks bad he denies it, of course.)

With a VP I liked, I honestly would have voted for him, because I have major, major problems with Hillary. Now I'm up shit creek, praying that Hillary magically gets knocked out and Bernie somehow still comes from behind. Bernie's an idealist whose ideas are mostly ridiculous and could never be implemented, but I would expect Congress to prevent any from really passing. And I would hope the same would be true of Trump... but seeing how the Republicans have now fallen in line behind him, I don't think they would. And if Trump would pick Pence as VP, I am scared shitless of the Supreme Court nominations he'd make.

All of which is meaningless philosophical musing, because I live in a die-hard red state. Although with the Hispanic vote growing every year, they say Texas could become a swing state in another generation or so. But for now, my vote means nothing. I'll still do it, but it means nothing.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:28 PM   #149
classicman

#FeeltheJohnson... Join Griff and I.
The lesser of two evils is still evil, or in this case a bloviating douchebag.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:33 PM   #150
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Trump talks the way Tina Fey parodied Sarah Palin.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote