The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-17-2002, 01:47 PM   #31
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
If you upgrade, your kernel will be new, and you'll need new RPM's from nvidia (or build it from source - stupid on RedHat).
The nVidia driver isn't provded in source form....they're trying to keep everybody ignorant of their internals while still playing on Linux....it's been a cause celebre for a long time What I have in-hand seems to work acceptably well, for now. How will it work with a new kernel? Who knows? How well does what they have on their site now work? Another mystery issue, except that several people had problems with it recently. I did downloard the apt-get for RPM but haven't played with it yet. I'm hoping not to trigger a massive dependancy chain where I need to download piles of stuff over a dial-up line. That's one reason to do the dist-upgrade....mass quantities of RPMs on one CD-ROM already in-hand.

The Equinox card is less likely to be troublesome, but ya never know.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 02:09 PM   #32
dave

There is some source for the NVIDIA stuff, as I recall. However, I still wouldn't recommend doing it

You're probably fine with what you've got, honestly. And if it ain't broke, don't fix it ('cause you probably <b>will</b> break it then). Ah, the joys of software.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:01 PM   #33
jaguar
whig

there are source files on the nvidia site, how complete they are i don't know though.
I don't see why any of you hardware wouldn't work on a newer kernel, i mean they old legacy-support i kow to have gone out is that most distros have X 4.X not 3.1.1(?) but apart from that...

Since i'm running either mandrake, which is very, very easy to update, or debian, apt-get, i tend to keep pretty much up to date, although i've left it at a 2.4.X kernel for now.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:12 PM   #34
dave

You conservative bastard!

I wouldn't use a dev kernel anyway. Shit, I just upgraded to 2.4 from 2.2.18. 2.2 was a fine kernel. I'm not even totally sold on 2.4 anyway, but it's SMP support is superior so that kinda warranted it.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:32 PM   #35
MaggieL

But you have to be over 15 in AU to run Red Hat 7.2. :-)

Old 01-18-2002, 01:48 AM   #36
jaguar
whig

a: PIC TOO BIG!!!
b: your point? if its something about me, i'm 17
Old 01-18-2002, 07:55 AM   #37
dave

I think her point is "this is a funny image kinda related to the thread". I know I found it pretty absurd. I dunno what game ships with RedHat that it's considered 15+ material though
Old 01-18-2002, 12:13 PM   #38
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
a: PIC TOO BIG!!!
b: your point? if its something about me, i'm 17
Sorry about the size of the pic. But that's how big it is on the other site, and I didn't feel like messing with it and finding a place to host it.

But it's true: you've been old enough to buy RH7.2 in AU for almost a whole year now. :-) I don't have any particular point, I'm just....oh, how did you put it ? "Stirring things up". I knew it'd get a rise out of you.

Besides, you won't be 17 till Tuesday. C'mon, chill out, it's a goof, I'm just yanking your chain.

Happy birthday, BTW....

Last edited by MaggieL; 01-18-2002 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:45 PM   #39
dave

Maybe you need to be over 14 'cause of "kill -9" :P
Old 01-18-2002, 06:18 PM   #40
tokenidiot
how the gods kill

Clearly, Chromium is violent and needs to be kept away from small children.
tokenidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 06:20 PM   #41
jaguar
whig

kde can be bloody disturbing at times
Old 01-24-2002, 07:20 PM   #42
Ardax
Irrelevant Adulterant

So can Gnome.

About the nVidia source thingy: There's an OpenGL and X module and a kernel module. The OpenGL & X modules come binary only ("to protect nVidia's IP"). The kernel mod is source, and that's compiled, if you want to be psycho like me and not grap an rpm, deb, or tgz for your distro.
Ardax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 09:44 PM   #43
MaggieL

Well, I toddled on over to the nVidia site, and lo and behold they have packages all nicely built for rh72. They've also revved the driver code a bit too. I can see that at least as of 2314 they've made the kernel mod source available. Also the GLX stufff apparently has source available too--there are source RMPs for it anyhow. . I guess they decided it was a good idea to release it. That's one less thing to worry about I guess.

Old 01-24-2002, 11:41 PM   #44
dave

Maggie -

Not to sound like a twat, but there has been source available there ever since I got my GeForce2 in March. It's not new.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:54 AM   #45
jaguar
whig

ditto, febuary i think.