The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-02-2005, 09:14 AM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Las Vegas Timeshare

About 10-15 years ago we sat through 2 timeshare presentations in Florida. Earlier this year, we went to Las Vegas on a discounted stay at the new Hilton Las Vegas Strip timeshare.

On our stay there we also were hijacked by a timeshare salesman and saw a presentation for a wildly overpriced renovated motel timeshare in addition to our planned Hilton presentation. Apparently, Las Vegas has cleaned up it's act so that instead of being propositioned by hookers and pimps on every streetcorner, you are instead being propositioned by timeshare salesmen. This is not an improvement.

At our choice, we stayed 3 hours at the Hilton presentation. In the end, we asked about the Hilton Flamingo timeshare, since we did not like the location of the one where we were staying. They made an offer, we made a counter-offer, they said "we don't negotiate", we walked away and bought the same timeshare on the resale market for 1/2 the price.

We just mailed back the papers for a 1 bedroom suite at the Hilton Flamingo during the 'gold season'. Hilton has declined their 'right of refusal' to buy back the property for the price we arranged, IMO because they are trying to sell the new properties and the $5500 price was close to their wholesale price, minus the sales commission.

Next Fall we start vacationing in Vegas.

Renting the 1 bedroom villas for 7 days costs $1700 plus hotel tax (%10?). We are paying $5500 plus closing costs in order to pay about $600 per year in fees and real estate taxes.

BTW, there is a picnic area with BBQ grills. Forks Vegas, anyone?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 07-02-2005 at 09:32 AM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Used to be everything in Vegas was cheap...gambling subsidized everything from food to entertainment.
I saw a TV show recently that claimed that's no longer true. Gambling revenues are now gravy and the shows and entertainment are the big draws and money makers.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:35 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Airfare: 200
Hotel: 500
Meals: 150
Show tickets: 500

Gambling: winnings pay for the trip
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:16 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Losing doubles the cost....or worse.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:05 PM   #5
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Airfare: 200
Hotel: 500
Meals: 150
Show tickets: 500

Gambling: winnings pay for the trip
You can get good half-price show tickets. We paid about $30 each for the $45 Platters/Drifters/Coasters tickets. The woman we sat next to paid $60 through an online broker for the same tickets.

If we had gone to the half-price ticket outlet, we could have gotten them for $25 each.

You can get a room for $85 a night in Vegas if you shop around. I like the Bedroom/sitting room combination, though.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 07-02-2005, 11:21 PM   #6
lookout123
changed his status to single

you can still get rooms for $19-29/night at places like the sahara, palace station, stratosphere, etc. i've stayed at the Aladdin for $49/night within the last year.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:18 PM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Our ownership information came in. A beautiful faux leather briefcase stuffed with brochures, directories, and a video. I guess that's what my $200 transfer fee was for.

BTW, the next time I visit Vegas, who live near there? We will probably be passing through Denver if anyone wants to meet for lunch at the airport (I'll buy).
Old 08-07-2005, 03:20 AM   #8
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
Our ownership information came in. A beautiful faux leather briefcase stuffed with brochures, directories, and a video. I guess that's what my $200 transfer fee was for.

BTW, the next time I visit Vegas, who live near there? We will probably be passing through Denver if anyone wants to meet for lunch at the airport (I'll buy).
Well, I live 60 miles south, but getting up to DIA and parking is a nightmare. Although if Perth wanted to share the driving, I'd be game. Now if your plane were to stop in Colorado Springs...

Last edited by marichiko; 08-07-2005 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:12 PM   #9
lookout123

i'm 5 hours from Vegas, but you never know when an itch to visit will appear. let me know when you are going to be there, and if feasible we'll gtg.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #10
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I'll send my itinerary to you guys when I go. I do have a question. My membership includes 7 days during most of the year, but I can stretch it to 11 days if I go in the first two weeks in December.

Is this simply because of a pre-Christmas travel slump or is there really something undesirable about Las Vegas in early December? Is it the rainy season, killer bee migration, etc?
Old 08-07-2005, 02:34 PM   #11
lookout123

i've been there during every month of the year and i've never experienced anything to make me hesitant to go back during that timeframe. probably a slump in attendance - sort of like Disneyland on Superbowl sunday.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:40 PM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My first and second LV trips were during that time frame. It's a good time to go, cooler and less crowded. I think traditionally some shows go "dark" during the pre-Xmas phase.

The only convention/event in town is the "National Finals Rodeo". But that's OK, Jeff Foxworthy is a funny guy.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:17 PM   #13
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Cool, the only thing that made me pause was that weather.com says the average hi/lo temperature during that month is 57/37. Not exactly outdoor pool with scantily clad women weather.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:02 PM   #14
lookout123

if you are coming from Philly, you might be willing to hang poolside during that timeframe. coming from phoenix, i will be wearing jeans and long sleeves. it is all relative to what you are used to.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #15
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
Cool, the only thing that made me pause was that weather.com says the average hi/lo temperature during that month is 57/37. Not exactly outdoor pool with scantily clad women weather.
If you want to jump into an outdoor pool that time of year, you probably should jump into Lookout's. Actually, out here in the West, that's very pleasant winter temps. We don't have the humidity you guys back East do, so 57 degrees is pleasant weather requiring only a long sleeved shirt, just as Lookout says. Now if you want to invite us Western folk out to your time share, why me and Perth could probably pick up Lookout somewhere near Green River...