The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-28-2005, 12:39 PM   #16
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

hand....which side IS the back? the dorsal side, or ventral?

Last edited by lumberjim; 10-28-2005 at 01:09 PM. Reason: sp
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:48 PM   #17
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

back of the hand - opposite of the palm
Old 10-28-2005, 01:09 PM   #18
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

well, i know the front of my hand better than the back.....of my hand
Old 10-28-2005, 01:29 PM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
Cuts the mustard - meaning: comes up to scratch (which could be another one except I think it has connections with golf and being a scratch/zero handicap player, but it may pre-date this)
Cuts as in dilutes rather than separates, perhaps? Makes palatable?? Undiluted mustard is pretty strong stuff, after all, and overwhelms the tastebuds.

You know ... this might make an interesting party game.

I thought maybe someone already had done this, but the objective of Wise and Otherwise is to complete a maxim, not explain it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:30 PM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'd rather be broccoli.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:58 PM   #21
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Opening a can of worms usually means "making a bigger problem than the one you were trying to solve", because it is harder to deal with an open can of worms than a closed one. When the can is closed, you at least know roughly how many worms you have and where they can be found. Open the can, and the squiggle all over, and it is nearly impossible to put them back in.

Now..."Piss like a racehorse"...that's one that has always baffled the piss out of me. Are racehorses known for producing more urine than, say, a plough horse? Or is this related to the drug testing they make racehorses endure? I thought that was done via saliva, so shouldn't it in that case be "spit like a racehorse"?

Stupid sayings...
Old 10-28-2005, 02:07 PM   #22
Lucy
Colloquialist

Drier then a popcorn fart. One of my favorites..
This one always gets me...

Cuter then a fat puppies ass..or Cuter then a bug's ear.

Drunker the Cooter Brown.

Huh?

Last edited by Lucy; 10-28-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:15 PM   #23
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Now..."Piss like a racehorse"...that's one that has always baffled the piss out of me.
Race horses are given the diuretic Lasix that in addition to making them piss a lot also helps to prevent them bleeding in the lungs from the exertion during races.
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #24
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Hey! My dad used to say this, although I seem to remember it being 'piss like a Russian racehorse'. Huh. Who knew.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #25
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

" a right smart"

EX: "He has a right smart of money".
"Yes, There were a right smart of people there"
***AND***

SAM HILL
Now what the Sam Hill does that 'spose to mean?
Old 10-28-2005, 06:27 PM   #26
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
It is carrot and stick. The phrase implies reward for doing well and punishment for doing poorly.
I disagree. I think Sundae Girl and xoxoxoBruce are right on this one.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:41 PM   #27
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Jesus H Christ! You have wierder ones in the US than in the UK.

Sam Hill??? Who the Dickens is Sam Hill??? And 'right smart' is another one I've never come across, unless it arises north of Watford (over to Sundae Girl...)

Piss like a racehorse - now I think that is a corruption of 'piss (it) like a racehorse', Where the idea of 'piss it' means to accomplish it easily, as in the English cockney 'it was a piece of piss' meaning it was really very easy, as it is to piss (or pass water*) when you need to (although we also use another phrase for the same thing describing something easy as 'being a right doddle' - and I have absolutely no (zilch??) idea about where that one comes from...!)

* there's a joke about this: guy goes to doctors complaining about feeling poorly, to which the doctor asks 'do you find you have trouble passing water?' to which the guy replies 'funny you should ask that, I came over real dizzy on the bus the other day, just as it was going past the local reservoir!' Oh well some you do, some you don't!
Old 10-28-2005, 07:34 PM   #28
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

SAM HILL = hell

[Q] From Doug Hickey: “I have often heard in American movies and on television phrases like ‘What in the Sam Hill is going on?’ Or, ‘What the Sam Hill happened here?’ Or, some such exclamation. I have not been able to find the basis of this expression.”

[A] There is a story sometimes told (for example in Edwin Mitchell’s Encyclopedia of American Politics in 1946) that one Colonel Samuel Hill of Guilford, Connecticut, would often run for political office at some point in the early nineteenth century but always without success. Hence, “to run like Sam Hill” or “go like Sam Hill”. The problem is that nobody has found any trace of this monumentally unsuccessful candidate.

On the other hand, an article in the New England Magazine in December 1889 entitled Two Centuries and a Half in Guilford Connecticut mentioned that, “Between 1727 and 1752 Mr. Sam. Hill represented Guilford in forty-three out of forty-nine sessions of the Legislature, and when he was gathered to his fathers, his son Nathaniel reigned in his stead” and a footnote queried whether this might be the source of the “popular Connecticut adjuration to ‘Give ‘em Sam Hill’?” So the tale has long legs.

The expression has been known since the late 1830s. Despite the story, it seems to be no more than a personalised euphemism for “hell”.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:06 PM   #29
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

that's just a hard goddamned fact of life.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:47 PM   #30
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I thought we were just going to speculate wildly and offer our own bullheaded opinions on these sayings. Now LJ has gone and brought apparent factual information into the mix. Damn, you can't fake anything anymore.