The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #76
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Transient acantholytic dermatosis spreading among Republican Party...

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Grover's disease often starts quite suddenly.

It results in very itchy spots on the central back, mid chest and occasionally elsewhere.
Frequently, it follows sweating or some unexpected heat stress.<snip>

Grover's Disease is mainly seen in males over the age of forty[4]
and the papules are most commonly found on the mid chest.
Sometimes the features of Grover's are found in people who do not itch or have a conspicuous rash.

It is thought that Grover's disease affects chiefly white adults in the fifth decade or later,
and appears to be around 1.6 to 2.1 times more common in men than in women.
Grover's disease appears less commonly in darker-skinned individuals, but has been reported.
This from the latest Google News:

http://www.businessinsider.com/grove...-taxes-2012-11
Business Insider
Brett LoGiurato
11/25/12

Some Top Republicans Are Breaking With Grover Norquist On New Revenues
Quote:
Add Republicans Lindsey Graham, John McCain and Peter King to the list
of top party members in Congress who are increasingly breaking
with conservative Grover Norquist's "Taxpayer Protection Pledge."

All three said on Sunday talk shows that they are willing to add
more tax revenues as part of a deal to avert the so-called "fiscal cliff"
in January, a position that is becoming commonplace among Republicans
despite the fact that it would violate Norquist's pledge to not raise taxes.
<snip>
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #77
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

On the other hand....

Quote:
So here is the Republican Party reinventing itself. The GOP majority in the Ohio legislature rushes to defund Planned Parenthood in its post-election session. The orange-tinted speaker of the House proposes to undo Obamacare through “oversight” in the name of “solving our debt and restoring prosperity.” Never mind that health-care reform doesn’t raise the deficit but reduces it. Or that “a new low,” 33 percent of Americans, the anti-Obama bitter-enders, still favor repealing the law (PDF). And a rising star in the GOP future, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, offers a dim view out of the pre-Darwinian past that maybe the Earth was created in seven days—and that since “theologians” disagree, we should teach “multiple theories.”

This doesn’t sound like rethinking, or thinking at all, but like the reflex and revanchism of a party that doesn’t comprehend or simply can’t respond to the dimensions of its 2012 defeat. There’s not just the delicious irony that maladroit Mitt Romney, the 47 percent man, will end up with 47 percent of the vote. Outside the South, President Obama defeated his opponent 55 to 45 percent, winning a landslide there as well as in the Electoral College. The bottom line: Romney got elected president of the old confederacy.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...on-losses.html

The article really annoyed me...

Quote:
If the votes of only those aged 30 and older counted, Mr. Romney would be president. Young people will suffer most from the massive debt run up by the Obama administration. But Americans aged 18-29 voted for the president, 60-37, because incessant indoctrination by their teachers and professors in college outweighed rational self- interest.

Few young people today perceive what's in their interest because they are so massively ignorant of history, civics, economics, geography, physics and basic math. They've been told what to think, but they haven't been taught how to think logically.

If Republicans keep trying to get their message across chiefly through campaign advertising, they can't hope to compete with the constant messaging from the dominant institutions of our culture.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...se_116244.html
Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #78
infinite monkey

Quote:
If the votes of only those aged 30 and older counted, Mr. Romney would be president. Young people will suffer most from the massive debt run up by the Obama administration. But Americans aged 18-29 voted for the president, 60-37, because incessant indoctrination by their teachers and professors in college outweighed rational self- interest.

Few young people today perceive what's in their interest because they are so massively ignorant of history, civics, economics, geography, physics and basic math. They've been told what to think, but they haven't been taught how to think logically.

If Republicans keep trying to get their message across chiefly through campaign advertising, they can't hope to compete with the constant messaging from the dominant institutions of our culture.
oh ffs. The old "young people are too dumb to know anything they aren't nearly as smart and in the know as us older folks and they are easily brainwashed with incessant indoctrination by the liberal teachers" crap. Since the beginning of time.

If we're not careful, women voting will make a HUGE difference in outcomes, too. Let's not let the young or the women listen to any of that 'constant messaging' because they are 'so massively ignorant of history, civics...'

What a tard.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #79
Lamplighter

@pierce, "revanchism" is my new word for the day...
Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #80
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Aside from the rest, this is a statement with which I mostly agree. Sad but true.
With two kids through HS and one graduated from college, it has become increasingly apparent that teachers are teaching the students what they need to pass some state test more so than to think on their own - regurgitating facts and formulas instead of HOW to think.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #81
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

It is true but that is a separate issue. I don't see it is full out indoctrination though (which the article implies).

Also, I strongly disagree that voting for Romney was in the best interests of my generation. That is the main point that irks me.

Quote:
@pierce, "revanchism" is my new word for the day...
I am curious of what he means by conservative cultural infrastructure...
Old 11-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #82
classicman

Quote:
voting for Romney was in the best interests of my generation.
I didn't imply that Pierce. I was off on a teaching tangent.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #83
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I know. I agree with you.

I criticized the article's implication that our poor critical thinking education is causing young voters to vote against their own interest. First, I don't think my generation's critical thinking skills are any worse than you old timers . Second, I don't think voting for Romney was in my generation's best economic or social interests.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #84
Ibby
erika

I'm pretty convinced my g-g-g-generation is about as dumb as all that came before it, but not much more. The stupid people are just, via the internet, much, much more obvious.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #85
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm repeatedly amazed how many people don't know how the government works/is supposed to work, and are not embarrassed by that. In fact some tell me are proud of not knowing, and they feel not participating makes them guiltless in anything that bad happens in the world/country. "Don't blame me, I didn't vote for him/her/them."

I don't know which is scarier, the ones that opt out, or the ones that vote uninformed.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #86
classicman

I'll take the uniformed for $200 please.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #87
Ibby
erika

No way. I'm much happier with folks who don't bother than people who don't know shit about what they're doing.

...especially since conservatives have a MUCH higher percentage of "low-information" voters.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #88
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
...especially since conservatives have a MUCH higher percentage of "low-information" voters.
Don't mix convenient narrative with reality. I doubt your blue inner-city precincts have any more informed electorate than red rural districts. They both vote based on tradition. If Jon Huntsman had somehow escaped the GOP primary the red rural districts would have been on the "right" side of history.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #89
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Absolutely, uninformed/misinformed is equally prevalent in every segment, by party, by location, or any other designation.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #90
Lamplighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I'm repeatedly amazed how many people
don't know how the government works/is supposed to work,
and are not embarrassed by that.
In fact some tell me are proud of not knowing, and they feel not participating
makes them guiltless in anything that bad happens in the world/country.
"Don't blame me, I didn't vote for him/her/them."

I don't know which is scarier, the ones that opt out, or the ones that vote uninformed.
xoB, don't worry about it. Time heals everything.

You can't find anyone now that voted for Nixon, and soon it will be the same with Romney.