The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 02-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #961
Cloud

I love del.icio.us! I think people are put off because of its "bare bones" interface, but once you get used to it, it's very easy. I also like the fact that it's user-driven. If you search for something on Google, for example, your results are often influenced by economic reality. If you search for something on del.icio.us, you know that real people think the pages are important.

The only thing that's frustrating sometimes is:

1) people are lazy and don't add comments. I always comment mine; and 2) frustrating because sometimes I want to talk to the people who add things, and the only way is to "network" them, which isn't direct. I see you don't have anyone in your network yet, grant. (but I added you to mine).
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #962
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
1) people are lazy and don't add comments. I always comment mine; and 2) frustrating because sometimes I want to talk to the people who add things, and the only way is to "network" them, which isn't direct. I see you don't have anyone in your network yet, grant. (but I added you to mine).
I almost never add comments. In fact, I've hardly ever been to the actual del.icio.us site; I just use the firefox plugin.

I really just like the fact that all of my bookmarks are in one place. Tags aren't my favorite organizational method though...

I didn't even know you could network people until I clicked onto yours.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #963
Cloud

hey Grant, I notice you have some Wil Wheaton links, but you don't have his "in exile" blog: http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/wwdnbackup/
Old 02-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #964
Cloud

I've been trying to figure out how to use del.icio.us to store legal research, but not sure how it would work with subscription services.

I like the comments, because it lets me remind myself what I liked about the site.

I like the network thingy, because people's hobbies fascinate me.

WARNING! I have a lot of links to body modification sites and slash fanfiction sites. (If you don't know what slash fanfiction is--do NOT click on them)
Old 02-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #965
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
I've been trying to figure out how to use del.icio.us to store legal research, but not sure how it would work with subscription services.

WARNING! I have a lot of links to body modification sites and slash fanfiction sites. (If you don't know what slash fanfiction is--do NOT click on them)
It should work fine for legal research if the links are static. You might have to log in or something, but it should work.

Yeah, I clicked through some of the fanfic links. I knew what it was but never sought it out. I'm not judging, just not my thing.

I think bodymod can be hot, but I'd never do it to myself--I've got enough holes in me already.

Quote:
hey Grant, I notice you have some Wil Wheaton links, but you don't have his "in exile" blog: http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/wwdnbackup/
It's in my bloglines account: http://www.bloglines.com/public/ga9068
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #966
Cloud

ah! well good.

so much 'Net--so little time.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #967
Cloud

Hey! I see Undertoad on there. But he's new.

Since I am usually on my work computer and home computer every day, I find that having my bookmarks available on the 'Net soooo helpful; plus they were getting a little out of hand on my browser. This way, I have my work favorites available to me at home etc.

There are other shared bookmarking sites, but del.icio.us is the one I found first, so there you are. Although it's conspicuously populated by nerds, normal people (like I'm one--suuuuure!) use it too. You can make your bookmarks private, too, if you don't want to share.

If you want to search what other people have saved under, say . . . . sex (cough) or poi, just to name an example, just put /tag/[your search term] after del.icio.us in the browser box.

I also go to the main page and search the popular and recent tags. I've found so many interesting things that way. It's also why I put comments on all mine--I'm very much more inclined to click on a site that has a comment rather than the bare title page descriptor.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #968
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I checked it out because y'all were talking about it. I don't know that I can get into it enough to make it useful. I have my own system of bookmarking offline, that I've honed for years.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #969
Cloud

as long as it works for you; that's fine. It's a major convenience if you regularly use more than one computer. You can upload all your present links, too if you want.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #970
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Free US Constitution Program

This is one of the most robust Constitution viewers I have used, possibly because it's being used as a demo for a commercial product somewhere between Adobe Reader and Lotus Notes.

I considered posting this in a Politics thread since I sometimes think that some people here seem to mentally add and subtract from the Constitution at will.

BTW, who here remembers School House Rock's song on the Constitution.

Lyrics are here.

I found a Youtube that uses a remake of the Schoolhouse Rock song.
While I was searching, I also found a Youtube of the Simpson's clip on how a bill becomes a law:p.

I placed the Youtubes in this post under the Ye Olde Video Clip thread.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 02-11-2007 at 09:44 AM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #971
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
[
BTW, who here remembers School House Rock's song on the Constitution.

That's how I remember the preamble! I sing that song!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:51 AM   #972
Cloud

I've got the clip of the legislative process saved. I am a bill, I am only a bill, and I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill . . .

http://www.school-house-rock.com/Bill.html
Old 02-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #973
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Check out this abandoned Russian embassy in Bangkok.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:56 PM   #974
Cloud

Magazines!

I love magazines, but real life magazines cost a lot and cause clutter. So I always check out online magazine sites. I've found that some are much better than others. The worst online magazine sites just feature a pic of their cover and say subscribe. The best include lots of free content that's actually useful and complete. Keeping in mind that I'm a girl, and my selection reflects my personal interests, here are my picks for the best online magazine sites:

LuckyAlthough the clothes are a bit young (and pricey) for me, the site has web exclusives and contests, and lots of shopping links

Mother Earth News Many good simple living guides here, and indispensable resource for living green

People Although you have to dodge the "subscribe" begging, the site has a Star Traks celebrity photo feature that changes every day--a quick celebrity fix without having to wade through all the dreck

Real Simple Lots of nifty tips and tools.

Shape lots of well-illustrated exercises

Style the online home of Vogue and other Conde Nast publications, what I like here is the cool pics slideshows from all the runway shows, both for women and men--a very efficient and comfortable way of viewing designer clothes

Sunset a leading Western style magazine which used to have a crappy website--now lots of free and tasty recipes

and one booby prize:
PC Magazine A venerable computer magazine whose site is ironically prone to errors and hang-ups
Old 02-14-2007, 10:24 PM   #975
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Shopping? Exercise? Noooooooo, shoot stuff.