The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #1
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Artistic Opinions Needed!!!

My wife is going to have a baby girl in about 2 months so she won't be able to work for awhile. She doesn't make much money anyway so I was thinking rather than pay a babysitter $500+ per month to watch our baby, my wife can watch her and I can make some money with an online store and eBay store. I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to earn at least this much part time in addition to my regular job.

I've paid for a company to design a logo for my business and they've given me 8 concepts.

Please take a moment to look at them, but DO NOT click on the submit button or choose any of the designs on the website. Please let me know your opinions here.

Keep in mind, once I go with a concept, I can make unlimited revisions (colors, small design changes, etc) until I like it.

Thank you all for your help. Your opinions are valuable to me; especially in artistic matters. I'd appreciate it if we can stick to the subject at hand and not turn this into an attack thread against me by those who don't like me personally. Thanks.

You can view the samples here:

http://www.logobee.com/view/homeschool
Old 02-26-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I like the first one because it's clear and concise with minimal distraction from the actual product you're selling. The basic colour scheme is good too.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm partial to #3, only because "supply house" is prominant. It defines you are not a home school organization, advice column or support group. You are a supply house.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
Kingswood
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I like #1 best, with the "Homeschool" rendered in a different font such as Comic Sans.
Kingswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Most people seem to like #1, but it seems strangely familiar to me. I swear I've seen that hat/roof with a similar font in another logo before. It's bugging the heck out of me that I can't remember where I've seen it.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:25 PM   #6
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

I like #1 but #4 appeals to me too.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
monster
I hear them call the tide

# 5-9 are too busy

#1 is the most eye-catching, but I share the sense of familiarity and wonder if it is reminiscent of a family sitcom logo?

#2 The H and the two lines make it looks a little like a highway logo

#3 looks a little like a recycling logo

#4 is a bit old fashioned

#10 is a little forgettable

I think on balance I like #1, but wonder if the text might be better being a bit less "comedy" -perhaps not squished by the roof?

I'm also thinking maybe the red, white and blue is a little done to death as a color scheme right now? What about the gold and blue of #7?

hth
Old 02-27-2007, 12:16 AM   #8
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

It's very funny that you mentioned a family sitcom because I was thinking the same thing.

Here's my observations:

1. Jumped out at me, but seems very familiar. The whole point of paying for a logo was to make me stand out.

2. Boring and I don't like the attempt to be cute by making the H into a person.

3. I like that SUPPLY HOUSE is displayed in the same size font as HOMESCHOOL.

4. Don't like the colors, and I agree with the old fashioned look mentioned above.

5. Busy, but balanced and it has nice colors. This might work if it has some revisions to simplify it.

6. I just don't like it.

7. I like the sort of asian little house design in the middle except for the cross in the middle of the window that looks too much like a crucifix for my comfort. The circle is too small, and the homeschool font and color is wrong and should not have an outline. It might work with a several revisions.

8. Interesting, but it seems like it would be better for a furniture store.

9. I like the 3D pen coming off the paper, but other than that, it's pretty boring and wouldn't stick in the minds of people.

I think the mark of a good logo is in its simplicity, it's relation to the product, and the way it sticks in your memory. A good logo should be able to be printed in black and white and still look good.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:09 AM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

3, 8, and 10 all have some appeal to me, but I think 1 would be my choice.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:36 AM   #10
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Maybe if I made the wedge of the roof like like a cross between a compas and a roof, and I got rid of that curly thing coming off the book for no apparent reason, I'd like #1 more.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:57 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:46 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:57 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

They are all nicely done but, I like the feel of number 1. The roof implies security and pen says acedemic success.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:51 AM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I like 1, the same as everyone else. But I actually really like 5 as well. I agree it is a leetle busy, but it is sophisticated imo.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:53 AM   #14
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

I initially liked #1 the best, with the following revisions:

The "Homeschool" font shouldn't be so cartoonish, people don't homeschool for fun. I like the font of #2 (but with a regular H). I also like the two shades of blue in #2, they seem to be a little more feminine than the other color schemes, and I'm guessing that mostly women are going to be your buyers (but I may be TOTALLY wrong--don't flame me). Since #1 is a little more complicated than #2, a third color is definately needed.

Neat idea, good luck!!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:07 AM   #15
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I like #1 the most with #3 my second choice.

They remind me of the logo for the org. where I work.