The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 02-28-2006, 12:32 AM   #106
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Isn't that like the fourth time you've renamed the dog?
heh! Well, I'm glad SOMEONE is paying attention. Her kennel name is "Shine". I experimented with calling her "bel" (Welsh for bright one), Star, Starr and Belle Starr. Sometimes it takes a while to find just the right name. I've called her "Star or "Starr" for a while now.

I think the name that will stick is Belle Starr (Shine). Now you know.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #107
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Really great names sometimes need time to evolve. Dog breeders have to stick some kind of name on hundreds of puppies every year, but only their new mommy or daddy has the insight and desire to think of the one which really "fits". This is from the mommy of Hazelwood's Krugerrand of Rune, aka "Roo" and Windriver's Ximena Hechicera, aka Shimmy Tail
Old 02-28-2006, 04:54 PM   #108
marichiko

Belle Starr is the perfect name for my “corgadette”, and it took me a while to decide on it. It incorporates the Welsh word “bel” which I mentioned before and “Star” for the time her arrival into my life (Christmas time), and works well with her kennel name of “Shine” (Ms. Starr Shine or Belle Starr Shine).

Belle Starr was a legendary woman outlaw of the old West. In her youth she attended the Carthage Female Academy, where she excelled in reading, spelling, grammar, arithmetic, deportment, Greek, Latin, Hebrew, and music - learning to play the piano. (Deportment! Heh! Did she ever fool THEM!)

Her forebears, like my own on my father’s side, were from West Virginia-Kentucky.

She wore buckskins and moccasins or tight black jackets, black velvet skirts, high-topped boots, a man's Stetson hat with an ostrich plume, and twin holstered pistols. She spent much her time in saloons, drinking and gambling at dice, cards, and roulette. At times she would ride her horse through the streets shooting off her pistols. (I LOVE this chick – a woman after my own heart!)

Belle Starr had a Cherokee lover named Jim July (I am part Cherokee – my grandmother was full blood Cherokee).

Her most famous quote is "I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw."

What better name for my little friend than Belle Starr?
Old 04-11-2006, 12:40 AM   #109
brianchang
Person Who Has Posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Given what I and my friend have endured personally at the hooves of Bambi, I have absolutely zero sympathy for the deer.

A recent study indicates that from 1991-2003 calculated traffic accidents involving deer in the US kill 150 people annually and cause $1.1 billion in property damage, and injure some 10,000 people.

The cattlemen's groups who want to eradicate the cougar are being incredibly selfish and gaining some imagined well being at the expense of the many when you look at the stats.

In the same time period (1991-2003), reports show that cougars attacked human beings in the US and Canada BOTH an average of 5.6 times a year and were responsible for .8 fatalities a year.

If you are going to be terrified of a wild animal, Bambi wins hands down.

As for me, I'm putting out catnip. I LOVE kitties!
it is sad that there are deer-car accidents, for both the humans and the deer. i just think it is wrong to blame the deer. cars are 20th century inventions and a hundred years is not a long enough time for a species (the deer) to evolve for themselves a car-evading proficiency.

humans drive too fast. humans make the decision to take the risk of driving fastly and recklessly and they must accept the consequences of their actions.
brianchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:18 PM   #110
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Bullshit, my speed has no bearing when a deer plants itself square into the side of my car or comes down on the hood/roof in a 20' bound off a banking.
Considering the stunning increase in their population, I'd say they have done a good job at evading, so good in fact they've lost their fear of cars.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:04 AM   #111
FallenFairy
nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
We've wandered around in this thread, but I think Fallen Fairy will also get a good idea of some of the issues that are important out here in the western states if she is still reading all this.
Yes ma'am I am - ever the watchful lurker...and learning along the way.
Thanks to you all!

The deer problems here in VA are plentful - my 19 yr old has had two run ins... one where she totaled my minivan avoiding the damn deer! and one where she remembered what mommy said - and held straight and gunned it. (sorry to all you Bambi lovers!)
Jess - 1 :p
Deer - 1
tied game.

As for Albuquerque... the move is definite June 30th. The house is ready and I even contacted the schools in the District and enrolled my two youngest... we are ready!
The next Albuquerque question is.... can we really see roadrunners right in our neighborhood? A burning question from my 9 yr old. - last night I caught her designing a catch'em alive trap in the backyard - she aims to have her a pet!! LOL

Mari - did you check inot moving your stuff freight?? It's alot cheaper than Uhaul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret88
Blue - Acome and Onate are in "The NE Heights"
gee Ferret that sounds rather ominous.... PLEASE tell me those are streets...
edit - I actually went back topost #1 - and read all eight pages...I now know what the above mentioned are - thanks Ferret - My kids will be in LaCueva High and Humphrey Elementary

Hey, how 'bout them Chupacabras?? little goat sucking bastids.....

Last edited by FallenFairy; 04-12-2006 at 11:57 AM.
FallenFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #112
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

When I go to Taco Bell, I always order a chupacabra with extra guacamole.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #113
marichiko

I have seen road runners on the back roads in New Mexico - never encountered one in Alb, itself, though. Ferret could probably tell you more or else Tonchi might. I think her internet was down for a while, but I believe she's back. I think the Chupacabras is more a problem in DC than it is in New Mexico.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check into freight companies.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #114
ferret88
(This space left intentionally UN-blank.)

FF - yes, you can see roadrunners in some neighborhoods. there's at least one that runs around the neighborhood in which i live (off tramway.) i dunno if they can necessarily be found all over the city but i have seen them in several parts all around where you'll be living. so it's a good possibility.

unfortunately for your daughter, i think they are protected (being the state bird) and fussing with one in any way would prolly be frowned on.

my wife would love to know that's where your kids will be. she attended both of those schools. say "hi" to Betty (counsellor) at Hubert Humphrey from her daughter's best friend (my wife.) La Cueva is one of the newer highschools in the city.
ferret88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #115
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

A couple of summers ago, I was surprised to see a roadrunner near the Journal Center in NE ABQ. He was just kinda hanging out next to a shrub in a parking lot...for a moment. I'd only seen one once before years ago, near Las Cruces.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #116
ferret88

My wife witnessed and photographed (I think) a roadrunner beating the KRAP out of a sparrow in the parking lot of a WalMart near where FF is moving.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:32 AM   #117
FallenFairy
nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret88
My wife witnessed and photographed (I think) a roadrunner beating the KRAP out of a sparrow in the parking lot of a WalMart near where FF is moving.
My fiance told me about a road runner in his neighborhood that killed a small bird and stood there and ate it!! Possibly my daughter will need some armor before she attempts to charm one. LOL

I'll be sure to tell all the folks at Hubert Humphrey hello for your wife Ferret!

I had pretty much based the house choice on the schools - and heard so many good things about both Humphrey and La Cueva... so that was the deciding factor for us. My 13 yr old swims league and runs track and the coaches at La Cueva gave me a real warm and fuzzy when I spoke with them.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:06 PM   #118
ferret88

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFairy
My fiance told me about a road runner in his neighborhood that killed a small bird and stood there and ate it!! Possibly my daughter will need some armor before she attempts to charm one. LOL
as long as it's not purchased from ACME, she should be alright.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:13 AM   #119
FallenFairy
nope

meep meep!
Old 04-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #120
ferret88

Exactly!

and i've never heard one make that (or any other) noise