The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-08-2006, 07:47 PM   #211
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
Dana, I understand completely what you're saying. I went back to university when I was in my late 20's. Even though by most standards I was doing pretty well as far as ageing goes, I still felt like an old granny in classes full of 17yr olds.

And the conversations! lol It was very hard not to laugh at some of the things that were said, but it certainly gave me pause to consider how I must have seemed to older people when I was that age.
I might be going back too.............I'm 30, and the age thing is the only thing that makes me hesitate. Of course I'm highly immature.....maybe the only time I can get that to be in my favor....
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:20 PM   #212
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

pfffffffffff
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #213
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Umm, my pfff was at yesman, not you Cicero.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:55 AM   #214
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
Of course I'm highly immature
Yeah, me too. Who cares?

You know, if you're going to UNM, many students are "older."
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #215
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
I might be going back too.............I'm 30, and the age thing is the only thing that makes me hesitate. Of course I'm highly immature.....maybe the only time I can get that to be in my favor....
Y'know most of the time you really aren't thinking about that. First couple of weeks, some of the fresh-out-of-college kids seem very young. But not all and it soon wears off as they get into the adult education style. Within a pretty short time I found I was just relating to them as I would to anyone else. They for their part, never made me feel uncomfortable or acted any differently towards me than they do with each other.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #216
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Well, I'm more worried about me.......saying stupid things like hey!!! Don't you know you are gay? Or why don't you let her treat this time....I'm old school. mouthy. I'll stick out. I'm more worried about my trip-ups I think. Wooops someone told the guy who dosed him pharmaceutical laxatives.....oopsy.

Last edited by Cicero; 11-09-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #217
Torrere
a real smartass

You're from Seattle, eh Novae? That's cool, I was going to school there up until a few months ago. I think that I lived about 10 blocks away from BigV.

Course, now I'm halfway across the country, and roughly in Brianna's territory ^^
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:15 AM   #218
Novae
Art may imitate life, but life imitates T.V.

=) Yup, I'm from Seattle; well, technically I'm a bit north, but still. It's like an hour away, nothing huge.

So, which is better, Michigan or Seattle?
Novae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:21 AM   #219
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

49 Goin on 31/2
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:11 AM   #220
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Let's see, my kids are 16 and 20.

Last edited by Rock Steady; 11-10-2006 at 04:23 AM.
Rock Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:26 AM   #221
ashke
Don't look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Steady
Let's see, my kids are 16 and 20.
Wow, I'm 20 and my brother's 16 going on 17...
ashke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:27 AM   #222
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

I like that RS :p .

I have an 18 yr old son, an 11 yr old and 17 mo old daughters. You figure out my age (bet you get it wrong).
Old 11-10-2006, 07:30 AM   #223
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I'm 50 now. At 43, I started working for the University News, the student paper at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. Mrs Elspode, who is six years younger, was finishing up her degree, and had obtained the positions of Advertising Manager and Arts and Entertainment editor. I sort of got absorbed into being first a casual editor, then a ghost writer, then an actual reviewer, and finally ended up as Photo Editor.

After doing this for about two or three months, I found out that I was supposed to actually be enrolled in order to qualify to work for the paper. I therefore took a one credit hour course (local KC geology), which took me all of two weekends to complete.

During this experience, I was always the oldest one in the house. I usually don't feel the generation gap too acutely, but I sure did at this time. Editing the writings of college students (that one hour is all the college I ever had) was a real eye-opener in terms of grasping the difference in maturity, perseverence, seriousness...even literacy.

I'm not saying I felt superior, that's not it. I just felt - old.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:00 AM   #224
SeleneRati
Come Spoon With Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
I'm 50 now. At 43, I started working for the University News, the student paper at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. Mrs Elspode, who is six years younger.........
Actually, Mrs. Elspode has another couple of weeks until her birthday, at which point she will be six years younger (technically seven years younger between us for two whole months).

Rock - my two boys are 16 and 20 as well. Elspode's son is 25. All three boys still live with us...well Elspode's son lives in the apartment out back.
- Robert Fritz
SeleneRati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:41 PM   #225
JerryM
Writer of Writings

I turned 65 in July.
Graduated High School in '59
Enlisted in the Coast Guard in '59 in hopes of seeing the world, but only made it to about 25 countries plus three regions of the Antarctic.
Retired from the Coast Guard in 1980.

I'm hoping to be able to go back to school in the next couple of years. I got my ASEET in '76 & really made little use of it. I took some more college courses when I was in my mid 40's and thoroughly enjoyed it. If & when I go back, I plan to enjoy it a lot more - just taking what I want to take (& maybe showing off a little because I have been studying the things I enjoy all my life).

JerryM