The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-12-2006, 01:44 PM   #16
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I'd ask.

When I don't know, I ask. I mean the people who would have to listen to the music.

I know, if it were *me* listening, well, I'm a Scrooge at heart so I don't go in for any of the music more or less than most. But I do enjoy seeing other people enjoy themselves. So what they like will be acceptable to me for the duration of the party.

Sorry you asked, aren't you?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:51 PM   #17
rkzenrage

Happy Jesus-Buddha's Birthday to ya'!
Old 12-12-2006, 01:56 PM   #18
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
I'd ask.

When I don't know, I ask. I mean the people who would have to listen to the music.
Well, I did the next best thing. I asked for a volunteer to take on the task. I delegated and the only instructions I gave was that it have a "broad appeal."

I hope they don't think I was asking them to play chick music.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #19
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhatcher
Sometimes I think everyone should just go to their country of origin and let's start over. If you want to visit another country then, get the proper permission and go visit. Let each country have their own rules, customs, etc and all live by the motto "when in Rome, do as the Romans do."
Wow, that sounds incredibly boring. Why would you even think that?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #20
lhatcher
Go, you might meet someone

Why? because I would love to visit other countries and learn about their culture and experience another view of the world. Perhaps celebrate their customs and have a good time. That is becoming more and more difficult to do as people move and merge. I think a homogenized world would be very boring. I think it's sad that we can't show an interest in a different culture. On the contrary, we are now offended by others much to easily. I think that sucks.

Indiginous African tribes are looked at by some to be ignorant, backwards people. I think they are incredibly interesting and they know a heck of a lot more about some things than Americans will ever know. How can anyone call them ignorant? They just know different things. This has gone far afield from Merry Whatever, but that's my take on "When in Rome" because I don't want to travel to the other side of the planet and eat at McDonald's. Why bother?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:29 AM   #21
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Why? because I would love to visit other countries and learn about their culture and experience another view of the world. Perhaps celebrate their customs and have a good time. That is becoming more and more difficult to do as people move and merge. I think a homogenized world would be very boring.
I love that people move and merge because it allows me to experience bits of other cultures by simply driving down the street rather than being isolated from them by oceans and borders. I, too, think a homogenized world would be very boring and that's exactly why I think having everyone "start over" in their country of origin would be awful. I don't want to live in a homogenized culture. Issues of ideas and religions aside: the food in the US would suck!

Quote:
I think it's sad that we can't show an interest in a different culture. On the contrary, we are now offended by others much to easily. I think that sucks.
We can't show an interest? Why not? I think most people do, although I understand why you might think most people are easily offended by other cultures because they're so different from our own. I think the idea of "starting over", again, would reinforce the idea of those differences and the separation between cultures, making it far worse than it currently is. Every person I know that holds a generalized dislike of any culture/religion/race has it because they don't interact with the people they fear.

Quote:
I don't want to travel to the other side of the planet and eat at McDonald's.
Then don't. If you're an adventurous enough traveler and don't follow the line of tourists or pay for the silly guided tours when you go to other countries, you'll have absolutely no problem finding the good stuff.

I live in the US and its very rare that I eat at a chain, especially when on the road. Come to think of it, I haven't set foot in a McDonald's in more than ten years...
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:33 AM   #22
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I've eaten McDonalds in Rome. No, really. And the reason was it was a quick, easy, familiar place to go for our last lunch (we still had places we wanted to go and things we wanted to see before our late afternoon flight). We knew if we skipped lunch and ate at the airport we'd pay more and the quality would probably be lower.

Play to your strengths I say, and let other people play to theirs.

I live in a multi-faith, ethnically diverse city and I enjoy it. British culture will filter through to the children of recent immigrants, and their lifestyles will subtly alter ours as culture has always altered throughout the years.

I'd be happy to see a nativity scene in Town Hall Square, but as an atheist I see no reason to bemoan the fact there isn't one. Retailers will never let Christmas die as it makes them too much money. It's up to Christians to bring the religious element into it. Isn't it better that everyone follows the same rules though? You can't display your religious symbols on Government property, and neither can I.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #23
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

enjoy the pagan celebrations and enjoy your time off work.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:17 PM   #24
monster
I hear them call the tide

Buster,

Your unsolicited greeting is in breech of my wishes as demonstrated by my request for inclusion on your "Do Not Greet" list. Furthermore, this has touched me in a way that is inappropriate in the forum setting. I will be seeking legal advice regarding this intrusion of privacy and inappropriate touching.

Happy Thingumajig
Old 12-19-2006, 07:17 PM   #25
Pie
Gone and done

Mom! He keeps touching me!
Old 12-20-2006, 12:57 AM   #26
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret88
That's GREAT!!! Where can I get one of those?
World Net Daily

(sorry I didn't see your question earlier.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote