The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #3076
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Bruce, you're just cracking me up lately.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #3077
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
One thing is for sure, the term African American is not accurate anymore.
I met an elderly black woman who went on a ten minute rant about how she wasn't African American, she was black. She was American. Her ancestors weren't from Africa, etc. etc. and She rounded up the whole thing with a slight leer and an Alberta Hunter quote "You can't tell the difference after dark."

If she'd been even 30 years younger I'd have gone for it.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #3078
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
What kind of work are you doing?
Really shitty enterprise software in the Justice/Court System domain. Basically a lot of "systems integration" instead of programming. For the foreseeable future, I'm writing exchanges for brokerages (e.g., make the police department and the court's systems talk to each other).

It's not programming. I end up writing 300 lines of code and 10,000 lines of XSLT, and spend hours futzing with XML configurations.

I'd leave, but I've already switched jobs twice this year (made a huge upgrade in jobs, but they started missing payroll and I moved to the place I'm at now). Won't have a choice, if I get fired.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #3079
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Oh, the layers, the layers. Thank goodness for the layers. Glad you get to see the meet!

So when is her ETA?
Still NFI-maybe tomorrow. Apparently we need to try phoning Delta all night to try and get her on the flight as soon as it shows up on the system -which it isn't doing yet. She's going to get up around 5:30 and call us, so I think we're in for a long night. On the plus side, Hector's team won.

That was the meet from hell, I've never been to one so hot! It's a 24-lane pool how on earth can it be so hot in such a large space in the middle of winter? And it was crappily organized and the results weren't given properly. NEVER AGAIN, I don't care if the alternative is a half hour drive.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #3080
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

At this rate, the bananas will be brown before she gets here.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #3081
monster

The bananas are past brown and the pears are on hold in the refridgerator, but not looking good.....
Old 12-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #3082
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
classicman is on facebook for those who want to keep up with him during his absence. Aliantha started a cellar group there.
Curious. How do you find the Cellar group on fb? There's about a zillion "cellars" listed on there.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #3083
monster

I think this post has the right link:

http://www.cellar.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=10
Old 12-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #3084
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
At this rate, the bananas will be brown before she gets here.
I think I got it all as fixed as I can from here, but they're forecasting more snow and she's panicking The flights she is taking on Thurs went fine today, small delays but nothing unmaneagable. My BIL (not her son or SIL) is picking her up in Manchester from the train and taking her home for the night and to the airport next morning, so she won't have to be alone or worry about a taxi not showing up.... Hurrah for Uncle Elvis and Aunty Scary!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #3085
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Now that I know that monster is a Dr. I keep thinking of Frankie.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #3086
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Headache!
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #3087
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Boyfriend has to work from 6 am to....whenever today.
His asshole boss tried to take more money from his paycheck yesteday (if he even pays them on time). B/F is an autotech at a small shop. There is only his boss (an auto tech), my B/F, and the manager(who knows minimal about cars). B/F is the only one working this week cuz his boss is taking off to take care of his daughter (he does this ALL the time). B/F has a tons of cars he alone has to have done by Friday, which is stressful enough. He got done putting back together a transmission, only to discover there is a new clicking noise now. So he has to rework it, but didn't have time to yesterday trying to finish other cars. No one thinks to inform him the car is promised for this morning (it should be written on his ticket but its not). The boss calls yesterday and tell the manager to take the car to a neighboring shop and have them fix it, then bill B/F for the price. WTF? You don't even give him a chance to fix it, call up and tell the other worker there to take the car somewhere else, and plan on charging it to your employee without their consent? I wouldn't think that is even remotely legal. Fortunately the manager isn't a dick, and told B/F what was going on so he could stop it. Then again if the manager (who wrote the ticket on the car) had told him the deadline in the first place...it might not have ever been an issue. Anyway, that is why B/F went into work at 6am, to try to get this stupid car done, no one told him had to be done this am.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #3088
Griff
still says videotape

He definitely needs a new gig.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #3089
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
shit doesn't even sound legal. He should let them bill him and then sue the shit out of them.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #3090
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Yeah, it's definitely illegal. (I'm not a lawyer. I base all of my legal knowledge on what people say on Hacker News.)
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mild cheddar