The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-11-2005, 06:42 AM   #166
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowhead
hey... do you get to keep your campground stuff after ascending? (gurk I cannot spell today... long ass work week)
Only the Colossal Closet (the contents of which get shifted into Storage), Familiar Terrarium, and Trophy Case. Everything else, including your Hippy Stone, gets reset.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:05 PM   #167
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I just killed the sorceress!

|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:42 PM   #168
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

sorry to keep asking questions, but... into storage? is it then accesable again once you get to the appropriate level again? or do you just re-build everything?

rock on Hmonkey! naughty naughty sorceress....
Old 07-12-2005, 06:32 AM   #169
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
sorry to keep asking questions, but... into storage? is it then accesable again once you get to the appropriate level again? or do you just re-build everything?
When you Ascend, a new area pops up on the Right Side of the Tracks, entitled Hagnk's Storage. Every item you own and all of your meat goes into storage. Certain quest-specific items vanish entirely, though there are workarounds for a couple of them (example: Bitchin' Meatcars disappear. If you Untinker one into Dope Wheels and a Meat Engine, though, those items remain and can be recombined post-Ascension for quick access to the Shore).

Post-Ascension, you will spend 1000 turns in Ronin status, which is just what it implies; you are a lone wolf for that span. You cannot receive items from other players, buy things from other players, buy things at the Mall, buy things at the Flea Market, or obtain items from anything but adventures and the built-in shops in the Market and elsewhere. (If you have a Mall store, you _can_ put items in it and sell them, but the meat goes into storage when the items are sold until Ronin is over.)

Hagnk's allows you to pull up to 20 items or 1000-meat increments out of storage each day. For example, I could pull out 5000 meat and 15 items if that's what I needed. This calls for some cleverness in stacking your stash before Ascending and in choosing which items to retrieve each day, because once that limit is reached, you're stuck with what you can adventure for until the next day.

My typical Day 1 pull, for instance:
* 3 Chow Meins, or two Hell Ramens and a Delicious Spicy Noodles, a full day's supply of food
* 5 Ducha De Oros or other DB drinks, a full day's supply of alcohol (note: I can't use the fifth one unless I get Liver of Steel on Day 1, so I might get only 4)
* Beanbag Chair
* Meat Maid
* Chef-in-the-Box
* Cottage
* Mr. Accessory
* Palm-Frond Toupee for my Volleyball
* Class-specific item (Kickback Cookbook/Enchanted Toothpick for caster classes, Ye Old Golde Frontes for DBs) if needed
* A few thousand meat for buying skills

And so on throughout Ronin. In later days, I'm typically pulling out the best weapons and armor I can use as my stats go up, certain outfits that let me clear certain obstacles (Miner's Outfit, eXtreme Cold-Weather Gear, the Pirate Disguise) as I need them, food and drink, and a bit more meat when necessary. I don't pull out all that much meat during Ronin unless a skill is absolutely necessary.

Once the thousand turns are up, you can pull everything out of Hagnk's at once, and then you're back to normal until you Ascend again.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #170
cowhead

thank you for a very detailed response. I guess I'll put off ascending for a while then. more sinister planning is needed.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:33 PM   #171
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

I decided to treat myself (and treat Jick for finally implementing Ascension), and added a second Mr. A to my primary character today before Ascending.

Holy CRAP did that make a difference in the early game. (Being a Myst day didn't hurt, either.)

After Day 1, my TT->PM->SA->TT->DB looks like this:
Muscle: 67 (24) Myst: 68 (35) Moxie: 77 (35) Ronin remaining: 792
Equipment: Crown of the Goblin King (from storage, haven't fought the King yet), Diamond-Studded Cane, Ninja Hot Pants, Shiny Ring (to be replaced by Badass Belt tomorrow), two Mr. A's, Palm-Frond Toupee
Quests done: Larva, Bat Hole, Tavern, Meatcar, Deep Fat Friars

Not too shabby.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:41 PM   #172
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

How to make disgusting amounts of meat in five easy steps:

1) Realize that there is one item of which every player who wishes to Ascend will need four, and that it's an item that requires no skills whatsoever to craft.
2) Get a Continuum Transfunctioner.
3) Burn a day's worth of adventures, preferably with a juiced-up Baby Gravy Fairy helping out.
4) Create as many of a given item as you can, and sell them at the Mall.
5) Wonder what to do with your piles of white, blue and green pixels.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:51 AM   #173
cowhead

okay, a couple of more questions.. 1.) after ascending.. can you chose your the same class you just ascended from? yeah, sounds kind of redundant, but! in time a person could kick some serious ass at any one particular class. 2.) the spoiller above.. well not so much a spoiler as a 'Hey! how's about this!' is it potions or the keys? I'm sorry to ask, but in context of the game world this should be fairly common knowledge, and the forums aren't particularly helpfull.. I'm not looking to make a ton of meat or anything (well.. sort of) but I'd rather know as much as I can before doing something awfully stupid. ya know?
Old 07-15-2005, 01:53 AM   #174
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Work has sucked so much major ass that I haven't even managed to log in for like a week.

On the upside, if it's a slow night, I'll have enough turns to play all night, won't I? Didn't someone say they keep accruing?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 02:19 AM   #175
cowhead

uh apparently not so much, th emost I have gotten has been 199, however I'm sure there is some super double secret way around that.. then again.. there might not be.. one of the reasons I really like this game is for the most part it's pretty freakin' simple.. on one level.. bedevilingly complex on others...
Old 07-15-2005, 05:05 AM   #176
Happy Monkey

They only accrue to 200, (un)fortunately.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 07-15-2005, 06:59 AM   #177
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
okay, a couple of more questions.. 1.) after ascending.. can you chose your the same class you just ascended from? yeah, sounds kind of redundant, but! in time a person could kick some serious ass at any one particular class. [/color]
Indeed. Here's my progressions so far:
Turtle Tamer -> Pastamancer -> Sauceror -> Turtle Tamer -> Disco Bandit
Seal Clubber -> Disco Bandit -> Turtle Tamer -> Pastamancer -> Disco Bandit

One DB is getting Disco Face Stab, and the other has that already and is getting Mad Looting Skillz. One or both may remain DBs after Ascending to get MLS and Nimble Fingers or Cocktailcrafting, respectively.

When you come right down to it, choosing the same class isn't all that exciting; you're just a L1 DB with a L10 DB skill, so to speak. By the time you work your way back up to L10, the experience will be exactly the same. It's all about taking skills to new classes and trying life as a Pastamancer who can Face Stab or a Turtle Tamer that can play Polkas.

As for the other things:

* It's not the keys. Look up "pixel" at the Mall and see what's higher-priced.
* Turns accrue up to 200. Of course, you could have 200 turns stored up, use some of those, and _then_ eat and drink to add to that total. In theory, you could end up with about 350 or so on a given night, though you'd be back to your normal total the next night.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:50 AM   #178
perth
Strong Silent Type

Guildies, here's a chance to win a Tiny Plastic Sword of your very own. I'm thinking of an item which can be found somewhere in the Seaside Town. You cannot buy it in the market, though it may be available on the flea market. Starting after tonight's rollover (which occurs around 10pm Mountain), the first person to drop the correct item into the clan stash will win their very own Tiny Plastic Sword.

In case you're wondering what the sword is for, look here: http://kol.thraeryn.org/wiki/Tiny_plastic_sword
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:13 PM   #179
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

perth:

Is that really enough clues to guess what the item might be? I don't have a clue. Ok, I have a clue or two. I'll try.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:18 PM   #180
Happy Monkey

You don't have to guess if you just put in as many types of items as you can. Of course, the fact that it's not available in the market narrows it down nicely.
|_______________| [pics]