The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 07-21-2004, 09:33 AM   #1
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Decent diet/light sodas

My father is both diabetic and a survivor of multiple heart attacks, so he's forcing himself to do without Coke and Pepsi as much as possible. I'm always on the lookout for a diet and/or decaf soda for him that doesn't taste like battery acid.

Likewise, I'm a soda junkie -- I'll drive many miles out of my way to get my hands on something new. (A recent trip upstate resulted in the acquisition of several bottles of Moxie, which isn't nearly as nasty as many make it out to be. It's like black licorice in soda form.) I know that sodas in general aren't exactly nutritious or good for me, so I have an interest in finding ones that aren't total disasters.

Much to my surprise, Diet Coke With Lime isn't bad at all. The usual aspartame taste is there, but the lime flavor not only overcomes it, it actually complements it to a decent degree. (I've heard Diet Coke With Lemon described as "carbonated lemon Pledge in liquid form", however.) It's caffeinated, but it's a diet drink I'd actually order in a restaurant without wincing.

Most of the time, he drinks Diet 7-Up, or Diet Coke/Pepsi in restaurants. I've tried all of them and don't know how he can stand them.

The new low-carb sodas are... okay. C2 tastes like a 50-50 mix of Coke and Diet Coke, with enough of the Diet Coke aftertaste to be aggravating. Pepsi Edge is closer to regular Pepsi in taste, just "off" enough to be noticeable but still drinkable.

Caffeine-Free Coke and Pepsi are both surprisingly good; unfortunately, both are hell to find in restaurants. (Caffeine when I'm tired can be a trigger for my migraine headaches, though I haven't had that problem in a while). I curse PepsiCo for introducing Sierra Mist, as it replaced 7-Up at most Pepsi-product restaurants and tastes much worse than 7-Up does.

My current favorite is the "365" house-brand Raspberry at Whole Foods Market. $1.99 for a six-pack, and it's pretty much no-everything; no preservatives, no artificial flavors or colors, no caffeine, no sodium, no glutens, no high fructose corn syrup (they use cane sugar). It's still sugary calories, but it's damn tasty and I can avoid the "High fructose corn syrup is turning America into diabetic lardballs" vs. "Aspartame is not fit for human consumption" war while drinking it.

Oh, and my quarterly "whoop whoop" for Reed's Spiced Apple Brew.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:13 AM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I'm a Diet Dr Pepper junkie. I much prefer it to regular Dr Pepper, which I like quite a bit.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:46 AM   #3
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I thought Fresca was supposed to be good for that. Can't vouch for it personally but have friends that swear by it.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:36 PM   #4
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsp
Oh, and my quarterly "whoop whoop" for Reed's Spiced Apple Brew.
Mmmmmmm... Reed's Ginger Beer. Drank a lot of that in college. It has recently turned up at my local Wegman's.
Has anyone else tried the Mike's Hard Lemonaid (sic) Lime version? Pretty tasty, in a soda-like fashion.
- Pie

PS: There is a Mike's Light, half the calories or something like that. Not too bad. I don't know if alcohol is a problem, tho.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:55 PM   #5
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Schweppes makes a very good flavored seltzer. I like the black cherry especially. Very tasty. No calories. No artificial sweeteners.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:22 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I am also a big fan of the flavored selters without sweetners.

You have to read the labels though, because many of them do contain aspartame, which I cannot tolerate. (headaches and nausea)

Poland Spring has a line of flavored fizzy water that's more expensive, but much tastier than the store-brand selters.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the new Splenda beverages. I was very disappointed in C2, as it has multiple sweetners, including sucralose, aspartame, and corn sugar. What the hell were they thinking??

Reeds Ginger Beer is the bottom of the ginger beer barrel. Little to no snap, not enough carbonation.

Sioux City and Old Tyme Jamaican Style ... now those are GOOD.

Sioux City also makes a Sasparilla that's quite yummy. I love them so much I'm glad I don't have a readily available source.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:46 PM   #7
Happy Monkey

I drink two liters of unflavored seltzer a day.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 07-21-2004, 01:53 PM   #8
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I know its not soda but I have recently discovered the world of green tea.

Healthy as anything but I don't care for the image of green tea drinkers (barbie teapot, etc.) so I drink it out of a dirty, oversized coffee cup.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:05 PM   #9
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
I drink two liters of unflavored seltzer a day.
How can you do that and not float away?

I drink ~ a liter when the weather is warm and I feel like I slosh when I walk.

Oops. Edited for spelling error.

Last edited by dar512; 07-21-2004 at 07:59 PM.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:01 PM   #10
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Reeds Ginger Beer is the bottom of the ginger beer barrel. Little to no snap, not enough carbonation.
HEATHEN!

Bah, I don't drink their regular ginger brew much anyway; the spiced apple flavor is my weakness. I haven't tried their "premium" no-fructose ginger brew yet, since the Trader Joe's stores around here are bastards and refuse to carry more than the Extra flavor.

I tried Lemon Ginger Beer by "The Ginger People" recently when I saw it at Whole Foods, and while I liked it, you'd probably hate it. Less carbonation than Reed's and a sweeter lemon taste than most of its competitors.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:17 PM   #11
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Diet Rite Cola uses Splenda (sucralose) instead of aspartame (nutrasweet). So does Diet Hansons. You can also get low carb soda syrups that you add to soda water that taste like root beer, and other flavors.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:57 PM   #12
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

I just tried a Pepsi Edge and a C2 today. The pepsi tasted better, but I don't like either enough to drink them again, they both seemed to have a sour or acidic taste.

I've tried Arizona diet Iced Tea, and I think it is better than Diet Snapple, but neither is great.

I'll stick to seltzer, with the more expensive Pellegrino for when I want something different. When I want something sweeter, I add a splash of apple or orange juice to the seltzer.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 05:04 PM   #13
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
How can you do that and not float away?

I drink ~ a liter when the wheather is warm and I feel like I slosh when I walk.
Oh, no. The two liters is just the seltzer! I also drink two or three glasses of OJ and two or three Diet Dr Peppers!
|_______________| [pics]
Old 07-21-2004, 05:25 PM   #14
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
Diet Rite Cola uses Splenda (sucralose) instead of aspartame (nutrasweet). So does Diet Hansons. You can also get low carb soda syrups that you add to soda water that taste like root beer, and other flavors.
I tried a Diet Hansen's Black Cherry not too long ago, and it was extremely nasty. This was disappointing, as I really like a lot of the regular Hansen's Natural Sodas. (I can't get Tangerine or regular Black Cherry around here, but Raspberry, Mandarin Lime, Kiwi Strawberry and Grapefruit are very nice.)
Old 07-21-2004, 05:50 PM   #15
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Oh, no. The two liters is just the seltzer! I also drink two or three glasses of OJ and two or three Diet Dr Peppers!

I drink an absurd amount of liquids as well. During the summers as a kid, I would carry around a gallon jug of water with me, and usually emptied it twice a day. On the really bad days (105+ degrees) I could go for three gallons. But now that I'm indoors all day at work, I'm back down in the 1-gallon range.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote