The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-20-2009, 03:20 AM   #766
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The original version of Wickerman is pretty well known among American Pagans ... most other Americans, not so much. I don't think enough people hereabouts were aware enough of it to qualify as a "cult," frankly.

Actually, I've noticed with a lot of recent remakes, the kids these days, don't understand that they're getting a recycled crap version of something that was really good and special. And totally not in need of being remade. Or reimagined. Or whatever they're calling plagiarism these days.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #767
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Or whatever they're calling plagiarism these days.
artistic license
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #768
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Mike Penner/Christine Daniels apparently commits suicide

The day Mike Penner left the Los Angeles Times made the news. The longtime sportswriter wrote the article himself, a personal essay explaining that he was taking some time off and, upon his return, he would be known from then on as Christine Daniels.

Penner's public acknowledgment in April 2007 that he was transgender and would soon live as a woman shocked the world of sports journalism and turned his new identity, Daniels, into an instant celebrity. Daniels gave speeches, was profiled in Sports Illustrated, collected honors for courage from transgender groups and wrote a blog for the Times titled "Woman In Progress."

Except that the transition didn't last. In mid-October 2008, after a lengthy leave of absence, Penner, 51, returned to the sports pages and the Times newsroom as a man.

And just as suddenly, Penner's story, heralded in its early days as a triumphant example of transgender progress, has instead become a cautionary tale of the lesser-known phenomenon: transgender regret.

"It's unfortunate and it's relatively uncommon but certainly not unheard of," says Denise Leclair, executive director of the International Foundation for Gender Education, a Waltham, Mass.-based transgender advocacy group. "The simplest way to think about it is being trans is something that never goes away. ... There's just a fairly constant social pressure to just go back. You don't have to be a genius to understand that society doesn't really accept this."

Penner, a 24-year veteran of the newspaper, did not respond to calls and e-mails for comment and has not written about his decision to resume life as a man. The blog and bylines as Christine Daniels have been removed from the newspaper's website.

Though there's no data available on how many transgender people abandon their new gender, psychologist Ron Lawrence of the Community Counseling Center in Las Vegas says about 5% of his transgender patients revert. Leclair echoes that estimate.

Adhering to a code

Transgender advocates say the case of Penner, who never had sex-change surgery, reflects the success of a system in which American sex-change surgeons, adhering to their own code of conduct, won't operate until the patient has had a year of intense psychotherapy while living publicly in the new gender.

"We're required (by doctors) to go through all this stuff for a reason, even though there are a lot of trans people who bristle at being told what they can and can't do," says Donna Rose, a male-to-female postoperative transsexual in Rochester, N.Y. "The thing that people have to understand is that even though Mike decided to retransition, that doesn't mean he's not trans. It's not like you go all of a sudden, 'Uh, I'm better.' Going back doesn't automatically clear the conundrum that causes you to get there in the first place."

Rose reversed course on her own transition at first because her then-wife became so distraught and co-workers were insensitive. Six months later, she went through with it and ended the marriage.

Transitioning carries with it the prospect of losing jobs, friends and family, as well as mockery from strangers who find the gender change visibly jarring, Rose and others attest. "You become a very visible minority," Leclair says. "The average male-to-female transsexual is taller, has bigger hands and feet, has more facial hair than most women. There are a lot of physical attributes that are hard to hide in a society that doesn't like you."

Religion sometimes comes into play. Joseph Cluse of Newport News, Va., lived his life as Joanna for 30 years after having the surgery in the 1970s. Yet Cluse, who was married twice and raised one husband's children, became religious in recent years and decided that God wanted him to resume his life as a man. Cluse, 54, stopped taking hormones and had breast implants removed.

Cases such as Penner and Cluse raise questions about the causes of transgenderism. Paul McHugh, director of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, is a leading proponent of the notion that the cause is not biological, that transgender people have chosen this path.

He halted the university hospital's practice of performing gender reassignment surgeries in the late 1970s because, he says, a study indicated that postoperative transsexuals were no happier than they were before the operation. "You can live any way you want, but don't come to us and ask us to give medical resources to this proposal of yours, because we think it's a social construct and not a condition of nature," McHugh says.

"No one has demonstrated any physical mechanism or physical problem that causes this. The burden of proof is on them to prove that."

Debating the cause

Such comments are anathema to the transgender advocates, who insist the decades-old study McHugh cites was debunked. Like most transsexuals, Daniels told Sports Illustrated in 2007 that her urges to be female began as a child, and she wrote in the Times that same year: "We are born with this. We fight it as long as we can, and in the end it wins."

Claire Winter, a transsexual from Seattle who mentored Penner and spoke to him late last year, doubts the sportswriter's reversal will further confuse the general public about transsexualism.

"I think people are so bloody confused, I don't know if this has a significant effect," Winter says. "But maybe this will help people to understand that this is a very complex, highly difficult situation. This indicates the fundamental problem of trying to shove people into either end of the gender pole. It serves to point out the fact that it isn't as simple as flipping a coin.

"I would say give (Penner) some time," Winter says. "We have to wait for him to let us know when he figures it out."

Last edited by BrianR; 11-28-2009 at 06:12 PM. Reason: forgot to post the text
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #769
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Um... "commits suicide?"
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #770
BrianR

Apparently
Old 11-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #771
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Penner was married to a fellow Los Angeles Times sportswriter Lisa Dillman.

Penner was found dead in his Los Angeles home on Nov. 28, 2009 of an apparent suicide.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #772
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ah, sorry--that information wasn't actually mentioned in the article from USA Today. Hope he didn't leave any kids behind.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #773
BrianR

I believe that info was in the AP story that I saw first, but it was a little skimpy on details. The USA Today was meatier.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #774
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

900 foot Jesus has called Oral Roberts home. Guess the fundraising effort didn't work out so well?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #775
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Guess he couldn't heal himself.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #776
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

That is generally considered to be spiritual masturbation.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #777
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

'Spode was first in, but everybody was thinking it the moment they heard. Now for Leno and Letterman to tell the joke... by winking.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #778
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Brittany Murphy dies in LA at age 32
Quote:
Brittany Murphy, the actress who got her start in the sleeper hit "Clueless" and rose to stardom in "8 Mile" before her movie roles declined in recent years, died Sunday in Los Angeles of what appeared to be natural causes, a Los Angeles County coroner's official said. She was 32.

Murphy was pronounced dead at 10:04 a.m. at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, hospital spokeswoman Sally Stewart said.

Murphy was transported to the hospital after the Los Angeles Fire Department responded to a call at 8 a.m. at the home she shared with her husband, British screenwriter Simon Monjack, in the Hollywood Hills.

Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter said Murphy apparently collapsed in the bathroom, and authorities were looking into her medical history.

An official cause of death may not be determined for some time, since toxicology tests will be required, but "it appears to be natural," Winter said. He said an autopsy was planned for Monday or Tuesday.
So sad for one so young.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:17 AM   #779
lookout123
changed his status to single

Don't know why but this one saddens me. Never heard any bad press on this kid.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:37 AM   #780
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Anorexia induced cardiac arrest??
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sundae's got a gun.....