The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-07-2015, 06:25 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

There is too much great music in the world

Listening to three favorite gal singer-songwriters of my mid-90s era, Aimee Mann, Liz Phair, and Jill Sobule. And I'm like: why don't I have all their records? And then I'm like, oh I DO, I have Spotify, and they're all on there. And now I'm like, oh, right. I have all the music that I ever could have wanted to listen to, at any point in my life, and there is no longer enough time to even think of listening it all.

Most people just stop listening to anything much new after about age 20. It's not a bad idea. There's actually too much musical greatness in the world, and not enough time in a lifetime.

Did you know the last Stones studio album in 2005 is actually pretty good? That's not hard to imagine. But did you check it out? Are ya gonna?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:34 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

I have this musical connection with lil'Griff which for the time being ensures that new music will keep coming my way. The kids in her dorm are really tight and share a lot of music. I've always kept my eye open for the next not pop thing though. Access is so interesting now, music collections which took years to accumulate are redundant but that way of slowly integrating music into our lives may not be? As much as I like early Mick and company, I probably won't listen to the newish Stones, which on my part is either bigoted or egalitarian. I have a USB in my car now so I could bring everything, isn't that crazy compared to a couple cases of cassettes stashed in the back seat?

btw: lil and I have tickets to see Foofighters and Dropkick Murphys at Fenway this Summer.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #3
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
You are an awesome dad, Griff.

UT, yet again our musical tastes are in sync. I haven't heard of Jill Sobule so I will add her to my list of must hears.

Have you guys heard Madeleine Peyroux? I'm not a fan of Billy Holiday so much so I don't dig all of Peyroux's sound, but this one caught my ear. I like the lyrics esp.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
glatt

I don't listen to music like I used to. I used to really LISTEN to it, but now it's usually just on in the background.

I pretty much only really listen to music when making dinner with my wife. We have speakers in the kitchen, and we'll select a CD, pour some wine, and just listen to the tunes while making dinner. That's nice. I really hear the music then. But that's pretty much the only time, and there's a compromise because it has to be something we can both agree on.

In high school and college, there was so much free time. I could just be by myself, listening to music and really focusing on it for hours on end.

Now, pretty much the only time I'm alone is when I go for a walk or when I'm commuting. I don't like earbuds or headphones during my commute. So many sounds from the outside world leak through them and my mind focuses on identifying those outside sounds. It's all so distracting. I even modified a set of earbuds to be more isolating, but that just made it worse because I needed to focus on the outside, so I still wasn't focusing on the music.

So I find myself listening to the safe old music that both my wife and I can agree on. Actually, she's alone at home for much of the day, so she listens to music a lot and winds up getting in to newer stuff and influencing what I wind up listening to. May sound like I'm bitter, but I'm not. It's just the way that it is.

Funny thing is, we have the best sound system and the greatest choice of music that I've ever had in my life, and we aren't taking full advantage of it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:06 AM   #5
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Irony. You haz it.

I know what you mean, I think about that a lot. About how, when I was younger, I seemed to have hours on end to listen to music (I once rode my bike 14 miles to listen to the song Badge because where I was living had no electricity so I went to my friend's house to hear that one song.) or to laze on the rocks at the swimming hole, or work on my bike and hang out with friends.

Time seems different in so many ways.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #6
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

It's saturation (sung to the tune of Infatuation by Rod Stewart)
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:31 AM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I have lots of time to listen to music while I'm driving, cooking, cleaning etc. But I have zero executive function to spare, so deciding what I'm going to listen to is not something I can focus any energy on, let alone researching new sounds. Usually what happens is Mr. Clod will get exposed to new stuff either through Pandora or his hipster coworkers, then he'll play something for me that he thinks I'll like. If so, I'll buy the CD for myself on Amazon, because I also don't have the energy to maintain a digital database of files. Hard copy only.

Then when I'm purchasing my CD, Amazon will suggest similar titles, and I'll give a quick listen and usually pick up one or two more that way at the same time. Just got exposed to Passenger that way last month, and I ended up with three of their albums, which are currently on heavy rotation.

Actually, now that I think about it I've been exposed to a fair amount of stuff here on the board. Rizzle Kicks, Dispatch, and Butterfinger are all in my possession because of Dana.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Is it time for another CMEP poject or have we decided that they aren't the thing to do?
Old 01-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

You could just join spotify and we could follow each others' play lists. no need to mail CDs at this point.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I have a thousand vinyl albums, boxes of cassettes, and hundreds of CDs.
Ho hum, isn't that cute.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #11
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Is it time for another CMEP poject or have we decided that they aren't the thing to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
You could just join spotify and we could follow each others' play lists. no need to mail CDs at this point.
With youtube, you could just put up youtube clips of each song into a thread. Pretty much everything is on youtube now.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #12
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Not a lot of the stuff I like, plus I'd have to watch all that shit on you tube instead of listen to it in my car. But I get it, you guys are all 21st century weenies, except Bruce.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I don't have a thousand albums. I got a 150-200 tops. I don't have a lot of cassettes left, I gave away all my tapes when I converted to cd's. I have a few mixtapes left, and maybe a dozen factree-made tapes. I don't have a lot of cd's either, maybe 300. The newest cd I have is Kid Rock's 'Rock & Roll Jesus', released in 2007!

I just can't like most music. I've tried.

Quote:
There is too much great music in the world
I don't know what planet this is on, but, I 'm not sure it's Earth.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:28 PM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I had 800 vinyl albums, sold all but 20 precious ones. I had 500 CDs, ripped them all to FLAC (uncompressed "lossless" audio), put the disks in a shoebox and threw away the cases. This is what you do if you have to move all your shit and you realize that most of your shit is just shit. The physical world is a sham, people! Stream everything, move nothing, lose nothing!

Now the vinyl is resurging and people are getting good value for certain LPs on eBay. But that's only because the kids have an alternate if their record gets warped, scratched or broken. I still live in the mindset where it was $16.99 for a double album, and if side one got scratched, you were fucked. You had to pay $16.99 all over again if you wanted side one. Nowadays you can find side one on YouTube so no big whoop. You aren't actually losing anything.

We could have done CMEP with streaming or downloads back in the day, but Case objected that it was illegal. Fuckin' Case, where is she now? I should have intervened on that matter. Illegal for all the wrong reasons, laws that you should break because it's your duty to break bad laws.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #15
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I thought it was Dar that got all uppity about that
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote