The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 07-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Homemade Ice Cream

We own an ice cream maker, but I've always considered it a huge hassle--why not just go buy a gallon, it's cheaper and easier! But all summer I have been waiting... and waiting... and waiting for Blue Bell to release their annual Cantaloupes-n-Cream flavor (the most awesome and amazing ice cream flavor EVER,) so I can stock up for the rest of the year. And it hasn't shown up on the shelves yet. I'm starting to worry that they're not going to make it anymore.

Finally the other day I remembered that appliance at the back of the cabinet, and realized that I could make my own (obviously inferior) version to tide me over while I waited. Sherbets are easier than ice creams, so this afternoon I made cantaloupe sherbet.

Oh. My. God.

It was not inferior. It turned out perfectly. I could have been making this for myself all year!! Well now I know. And I have no doubt that with a little experimentation I could perfect an ice cream version too. I suspect I'll be using my ice cream maker quite regularly in the future. I'll probably still occasionally buy other ice cream flavors for variety, but Blue Bell just lost a big portion of their Austin sales.

Anyone else have an ice cream maker? I'm especially interested in other non-traditional flavor combinations.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
steambender
It just needs a minor tweak...here...

Try Mango. Had it fresh off the crank at a progressive dinner party and it was sublime
steambender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:10 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I could have been making this for myself all year!!
If you can get suitable melons.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:26 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The only problem I have with my ice cream maker is finding enough room in the freezer to chill the bucket.

I love mine, and have made some great ice creams and sherbets.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
If you can get suitable melons.
That's what Argentina is for. Sure, they're like $6-$7 a melon in the off season, but in this case price is practically irrelevant to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
The only problem I have with my ice cream maker is finding enough room in the freezer to chill the bucket.
I scraped it out of the bucket with a spatula and stuck it in a large tupperware to harden. Although if I'm going to do this on a regular basis, I may just buy one normal package of sherbet from the grocery store to keep the little container.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #6
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Clod, what was your recipe?? That sounds yummy.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
Clodfobble

2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
3 cups chopped cantaloupe (about 1/2 cantaloupe)

Combine sugar and water in medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil. Transfer to 9x9 glass dish and chill until cold, about 30 minutes.

Puree cantaloupe in blender until smooth. Add sugar syrup from dish and blend/stir to combine. Pour into ice cream maker and follow appropriate machine directions.

On the site where I got the recipe, several people commented that it was too sweet for their tastes and that adding 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of lime juice to the mixture made it perfect. I'll admit it's pretty darn sweet, but I like it that way, YMMV. Overall it makes a pretty small quantity, I'll be doubling or tripling it next time.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
jester
why so serious

mmm, sounds good - i just purchased an ice cream maker and bought some of the "pre-packaged" mixes - yuk - so i'm in need of some recipes - i didn't know you make sherbert.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

pawpaw (but I don't think it grows in your neck of the woods) but maybe cherimoya does. Also, try prickly pear fruits.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:11 PM   #10
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

I'm looking at buying an ice cream maker, should I look for anything in particular?

Most of my good appliances are Krupps.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:38 PM   #11
Clodfobble

Mine's a Rival, and I've been happy with it, but I've never tried any other brands so I can't really compare.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:28 PM   #12
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

The kind I have--a Villaware--is a popular type which has a canister that you freeze and then use to make the ice cream. I don't think this kind freezes the ice cream quite as hard as a traditional ice-and-salt one, but it's easier and less messy to deal with. YMMV.

I'd love my own soft serve maker... but I'm sure that would result in me eating way too much ice cream.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:52 PM   #13
Clodfobble

Mine only freezes/mixes it to soft-serve consistency, then you're supposed to move it to the freezer to let it harden (or "ripen," as the instructions say.)
Old 07-26-2007, 12:55 AM   #14
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

I wonder if Baskin-Robbins might be persuaded to divulge their Double Dutch Chocolate Fudge ice cream recipe? I've said elsewhere that this intensely chocolatey seasonal offering, spoken of in awed whispers by veteran countermen, is as near to opium as I've ever come. They sold it in the Eighties and I haven't seen it since.

But how about a chocolate and Scotch whisky? Something strong, maybe an Islay malt.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 07-26-2007 at 01:01 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:54 AM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The addition of alcohol into ice cream retards the freezing process.

It can be done, but you have to be careful about the balance.

I make a banana rum that results in a testable BAL.

The Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Recipe is in their cookbook. It's pretty chocolately.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote