The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 08-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Justice versus Mercy

Which one is more important?

I know there are many situations where both can apply, and sadly where neither can be found. My question is this: If you can choose one, but only one, which one will it be?

Justice or Mercy?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I don't believe they can be separated in that way. I do not believe you can have justice without mercy. If you remove mercy then you are left with something that is not justice.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
lookout123
changed his status to single

And sometimes justice, harsh as it may seem is mercy to another. Sorry, I can't answer the question as it is phrased Mr V.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I like Merc...so I'll have to say Mercy.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
kerosene
Touring the facilities

We need a "Jesus versus Mary" clone thread. I keep thinking that when I see this one.

I pick mercy.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Jesus and Mary Chain?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I don't believe they can be separated in that way. I do not believe you can have justice without mercy. If you remove mercy then you are left with something that is not justice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
And sometimes justice, harsh as it may seem is mercy to another. Sorry, I can't answer the question as it is phrased Mr V.
I have had this question rattling around my head for some time now. I realize the opening post is not perfectly formed, sorry. Rather than let it continue to rattle, with no prospect of improvement, I posted what I had, counting on your contributions to help clarify my thoughts.

For me, I associate Justice with fairness, abiding by rules and laws, and with consequences of actions (or inactions). I associate Mercy with compassion, forgiveness, and relief from or prevention of suffering.

These aren't rigid definitions, but instead my basic sense of these two concepts. Where they are in opposition is most likely to come in the third description of each one. I can imagine situations where consequences follow from actions. It could be called justice for those consequences to come to pass; it could be called mercy for those consequences to be prevented to come to pass.

A lightweight example: Our son wants to wake up early. He has an alarm clock, and knows how to use it. I'm up and about at the time he wants to be up, and I see he's not up. Justice--let him sleep and face the consequences. Mercy--wake him up and avoid the consequences.

In this example, I have a choice.

Or, what about driving in heavy traffic. You see me in my car, having used up *all* the onramp distance and I'm half on the shoulder, wanting to get into traffic in front of you in your car. Do you show mercy and let me in or let the consequences of my driving decisions apply and drive past with no entry for me in front of you? You have a choice.

There are other less lightweight cases. What about the commutation of death sentences for criminals convicted of capital crimes? Does an increase in mercy mean a corresponding decrease in justice? Certainly every example can be debated on its merits, and each case should be decided in such a mindful way. I believe in many, even most cases, that it is possible to be just *and* merciful.

For me, I find that I have much less control of "justice" than I have of "mercy". There are times when justice can not be had. The consequences of some action have been avoided and cannot be be regained. But I think there is no statute of limitations for mercy. If I am ever able to show mercy, I can always show mercy.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
DanaC

I don't see justice in quite the same way. Consequences of ones actions are simply that. Most animals have a sense of causality, however basic that might be. The example of your son is simply one of cause and effect.

Justice, in my view is something less general than that. It is a construct by which we understand some of the complexities of human interaction, rather than a natural law.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
lookout123
changed his status to single

Hmm. I'm still not sure I really see the conflict that is troubling you but maybe that is due to the limitations in printed words.

Something that did pop for me though was your connection between justice and fairness. I believe that sometimes true justice will not coincide with fairness. Is it possible that where two individuals have a conflict we could see a solution that is perfectly fair, but still imperfect. Then we look a bit deeper and see another solution that is technically "unfair", but is more "right" than the fair solution would have been. I associate justice with "right" more than "fair" probably due to my belief that life is inherently unfair. Fair means nothing to me, while right is the goal at every turn. Yes, I'm aware that we may not agree on what "right" is.

You all know me well enough to know that I'm no saint, but I do try to live by a very simple saying, "It is never wrong to do the right thing". I truly believe that.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Really, when you consider it, justice is just another word for judging and then punishing other people for something you believe they've done wrong. eg. If we take the onramp example, and you're the driver with the option of letting someone else in, if you don't, you've said to yourself in your own mind, you made a bad decision, and now because I have the opportunity to, I'm going to punish you for it.

Maybe that's a base way of looking at it, but human beings are very base in a lot of ways.

Mercy is entirely different. I don't think it's merciful to let someone in during a merge in traffic. First of all, over here it's the law. Second of all, why wouldn't you let someone in? What difference is it going to make to your life if you do? It's not merciful to let someone in. It's just good manners and showing care for your fellow human beings.

Mercy is about love and forgiveness to me. Much as Dana suggested really. It's not merciful if you 'get' something from your actions. Once you get a pay off in any way, such as a feeling of self satisfaction, you're not being merciful anymore. You're being self serving. That's not mercy. Mercy is sparing someone else pain at your own expense. Mercy is where you 'let someone off the hook' at your own expense. In effect, giving that person an opportunity to go about their life in the hope that they will have grown from the experience.

We all demonstrate our need for justice and our ability to be merciful in different circumstances. I don't think they two are even remotely similar or could be applied to the same situations. Of the two, I'd rather be merciful than seek justice, but in my heart, I know that sometimes justice is what I really like to see.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:12 PM   #11
DanaC

As an aside, it occurs to me that we have a very modern conception of what 'mercy' means. At the core of mercy, lest we forget, lies a power differential. You cannot be merciful unless you have a power over someone which you are choosing not to exercise. That power might be a simple thing, even the power to ensure that someone has a pain free night. But there is always a power differential between the one extending mercy and the one receiving it.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #12
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I am Mercy. Hear me roar.

Tough question, justice vs mercy. I can see where you can have both and where both conflict. You can have merciful justice and you could have justice without mercy or you could have mercy and completely miss on the justice issue. All of these situations can and do exist in life. Justice and Mercy need not be exclusive nor inclusive. Situations differ and some situations may require one or the other on a continum or on separate continums. I think if we could apply it to a specific situation you are struggling with it might be easier to dissect.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think Chuck Norris will kick both their asses.

Oh.

Serious thread.

Justice. I've had too much Wild Turkey American Honey at this point to put better words to it ... but Justice is one of those things that should be an absolute, where Mercy can be misplaced.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:19 AM   #14
NoBoxes

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice*for all."

*Note that it doesn't say anything about mercy.

Let's not forget that justice entails both reward as well as punishment:

If someone discovers a cure for a disease, they are rewarded with the right to exclusively market that cure and name their own price; but, for a limited amount of time. Thereafter, mercy for those who cannot afford to pay that price results in opening the market to other manufacturers so that competition drives the price down.

Justice is tempered by mercy and it may happen that both are applied to the same person; or, that each attribute is applied to a different person involved. Justice will always be the core value without which few will ever be inclined to show mercy.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Justice is essential.
Mercy is optional, if warranted.