The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #1141
Redux

Merc...what you characterize as "turning on each other" I would characterize as a diversity of opinion, with a shared foundation. That is why the Democrats have become the "big tent" party and the Republicans are mired in a rigid and narrow ideology. With that big tent comes challenges as well as opportunities.

IMO, that always provides a better and more comprehensive review and discussion of policy options than a party that is so ideologically driven that expressing a diverging opinion makes you an outcast in your own party.

I think the American people will benefit from the outcome of the Democratic proposals, even if what results is not a perfect bill and from what I have been reading lately (as opposed to earlier in the national debate), more and more Americans agree.

As I said, in the end, time will tell....but debating it with you is a waste of time.

But I will continue to point out when you post one of your partisan editorials as "evidence" of anything

Last edited by Redux; 10-13-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:28 AM   #1142
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Bottom line is that you can't answer the questions I have posed to you. The Congress will not solve the insurance crisis in this country with this bill. But they will have given the insurance companies a HUGE increase in income paid for on the backs of taxpayers with no caps for what can be passed on to the consumers. The American public is about to be stuck with a huge ass bill that does not address many of the problems in this industry.

The most partisan person in this debate on this forum is you Redux as you defend only one parties plan for change in healthcare reform.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:52 AM   #1143
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Bottom line is that you can't answer the questions I have posed to you. The Congress will not solve the insurance crisis in this country with this bill. But they will have given the insurance companies a HUGE increase in income paid for on the backs of taxpayers with no caps for what can be passed on to the consumers. The American public is about to be stuck with a huge ass bill that does not address many of the problems in this industry.

The most partisan person in this debate on this forum is you Redux as you defend only one parties plan for change in healthcare reform.
Merc.....I'm sorry you are not willing to take the time to read more about the proposed insurance exchange (on the state level in the Baucus bill) and regional/national level in the other bills...and how the exchange will encourge competition and set standards for pricing and benefit levels (through regulation, not legislation) in order for an insurance company to be included in the exchange.

I haver never shied away from my partisanship and I still firmly believe the Democratic bills are the best and most realistic way forward.

On the other hand, you have demostrated in numerous threads that you are just as partisan as anyone here. You have already judged Obama to be a failure (after only 9 months) ...you think Pelosi is a Nazi.... and you flood the site with the most partisan links of any poster here. So lets not pretend that you are somehow above partisanship.

But, I suspect the other members here are tired of reading our exchanges.

So, I encourage them to read the summaries of the bills and a variety of reports on the propsoed legislation fromi across the political spectrum..and judge for themselves.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #1144
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Redux, now please defend the fact that Medicare Advantage is not about to be cut by 21%. Thanks.
How can you complain about the cost being too high, and tax increases, then complain about cutting programs. Make up your mind. [/total tailpost]
Old 10-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #1145
Spexxvet

I heard that repubicans support a bill that will deny any healthcare to anyone under 25, because they probably won't get sick anyway.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 AM   #1146
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
I heard that repubicans support a bill that will deny any healthcare to anyone under 25, because they probably won't get sick anyway.
Yeah, and so what if they do? They haven't lived long enough to form any real ties and haven't had time to contribute much to society.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:18 AM   #1147
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Yeah, and so what if they do? They haven't lived long enough to form any real ties and haven't had time to contribute much to society.

But who will work in fast food chains?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #1148
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

That's what the Mexicans are for, duh. Don't have to insure them either.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #1149
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
That's what the Mexicans are for, duh. Don't have to insure them either.
The Mexicans are way too busy working the lawn care industry. Might need to smuggle in some azerbaijanians for the fast food chains.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #1150
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
Merc.....I'm sorry you are not willing to take the time to read more about the proposed insurance exchange (on the state level in the Baucus bill) and regional/national level in the other bills...and how the exchange will encourge competition and set standards for pricing and benefit levels (through regulation, not legislation) in order for an insurance company to be included in the exchange.
I will take the time to address this fantasy of the "insurance exchange" in another post. Anyone who has done their research will understand that it is nothing more than a pie in the sky guess that they would function as proposed.

Quote:
I haver never shied away from my partisanship and I still firmly believe the Democratic bills are the best and most realistic way forward.
But yet you claim you want everyone to read the information out there "read the summaries of the bills and a variety of reports on the propsoed legislation fromi across the political spectrum..and judge for themselves". So as long as their conclusions are the same as yours you are ok, but if anyone disagrees with the Demoncratic proposals you are insensed. What a line of bull shit. You can't want it both ways and think it is going to come out as you plan.

Quote:
On the other hand, you have demostrated in numerous threads that you are just as partisan as anyone here.
Partisan for the consumers who are going to foot the bill for anything your guys are trying to pass, sure. For any political party, no. Absolutely not.

Quote:
You have already judged Obama to be a failure (after only 9 months)
Failed on his promises?, yes, a failure overall?, way to early to tell... I don't hope he fails. But I know Congress will fail him.

Quote:
...you think Pelosi is a Nazi....
Absolutely, I can't stand the bitch.

Quote:
and you flood the site with the most partisan links of any poster here.
Bull shit. Just because they are not views you share you, and others claim they are partisan. They may be opposing views but they are not the views of one party, even if there is overlap.

Quote:
So lets not pretend that you are somehow above partisanship.
Partisan in the sense that they disagree with your views, sure, see above response.

Quote:
So, I encourage them to read the summaries of the bills and a variety of reports on the propsoed legislation fromi across the political spectrum..and judge for themselves.
If you cared if anyone read things from "across the political spectrum" you would not be making claims of "partisan" views that I or anyone else posted. You would let them stand on their own merits. But instead you attack them as some right-wing conspiracy.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #1151
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
How can you complain about the cost being too high, and tax increases, then complain about cutting programs. Make up your mind. [/total tailpost]
Cutting which programs specifically? I can complain about anything I want, including high costs, tax increases, and the cutting of programs. It depends on high costs on which things, who is gettting a tax increase, and which programs are going to be cut. Care to tell me what you think about any specific part of your broad generalizations you believe what I believe?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #1152
TheMercenary

Redux, care to answer this directly since you have avoided it?

Quote:
Now you are avoiding the questions and are unable to support your positions. Can you prove the insurance companies are actually just using "lies and fear-mongering that the industry and conservatives jointly and collaboratively perpetuated throughout most of the "debate"' and they really are not going to pass along the costs to all the rest of us that have insurance.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #1153
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

It's three, three, three posts in ...three.

Consolidation is your friend.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #1154
TheMercenary

Just trying to get a straight anwser...
Old 10-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #1155
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Good luck with that Merc. These are politicians/lawyers we are talking about here.