The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-30-2003, 10:25 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Bush goes to Baghdad

Syc asked me the other day what I thought of this, and I said, it's a home run in every sense.

As a carefully planned political event, what a coup. This is a non-partisan observation; I used to think that of Clinton. Clinton really developed the practice of staging events like this and sometimes one would be taken aback by the sheer audacity in the staging.

The carrier landing was meant to be that kind of thing, but I think it failed. It was too far over the top and thus was easy for the opposition to attack.

This one couldn't be faulted in the same way, because it was for the troops. So attacking it makes you look bitter; it can only polarize the opposition. (Smart campaigns sensed this and said nothing; Clark did a little carping; Kucinich foamed at the mouth as usual.)

It was timed to be digested by tens of millions over the Thanksgiving meal. Think about that. Somehow they worked out how to get the timing down so well that reporters couldn't announce what was happening until the holiday morning, creating a buzz. But not for political purposes; for purposes of national security. And a few hours later the video arrived, right on time.

No wonder the whole thing was to be shelved if the secret went out. If the timing was off in any way, it wouldn't be a perfect political event, and instead would look like a dangerous muff.

So you've got the holiday TV attention of tens of millions of bloated turkey-eatin', civic-minded votin' types. And through satellite TV and word-of-mouth, millions of Iraqis. What do you say? You keep it short. Bush's words repeated the strong resolve to stay the course. They gave the Iraqis reassurance. They were strong but positive. They were genuine, backed up by a sincere, teary entrance. And the bottom line, which I guess still matters, is that it was the right thing to do.

Staged: well of course, we are a marketing-driven, TV-driven people. Relentlessly political: well of course, everything is. But it felt like it felt when Clinton went to China and advocated freedom to the students: whatever else it might have been, it was the right thing to do. You go in, maybe work a little harder and take a little risk, for the sake of pumping up the troops and sending the policy message you need to send.

On Meet The Press this morning it came out that Bush was in the cockpit when they landed in Baghdad. I take this as a Bartlett/West Wing sort of vibe, not a political/leaked item for the sake of making the guy look like a cowboy. I'm sure the pilots would rather have the guy secured down in the tail where he couldn't do any harm. But he's the President, dammit, and he can sit where he wants. Wouldn't you demand to sit up there?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:47 AM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

No doubt it was a great thing for the troops, and I have to give Dubya some props for doing such a thing. Politically, it could be a huge shot in the arm for the GOP and his re-election bid.

My only issues with it are 1) He could have been killed and 2) I think he should have spent some time with the Iraqi people.

Other than that, wow...I was in complete shock when I read about it Thursday afternoon.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 11-30-2003 at 10:54 AM.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:04 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

With respect to your item #2, Syc ... as UT said, it was for the troops. Also, he's our President, not the Iraquis, and any such photo op could have become political fodder to those who want to show that the US has imperialist designs on the Middle East.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:38 AM   #4
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
With respect to your item #2, Syc ... as UT said, it was for the troops.
True, but I figure if you're gonna do a surprise visit, you might as well go all out. Also, see below.

Quote:
Also, he's our President, not the Iraquis, and any such photo op could have become political fodder to those who want to show that the US has imperialist designs on the Middle East.
Yes, it is possible that that angle could have been played...but that angle is played a lot already. It's old news.

And Bush IS the Iraqi leader (for all practical purposes) right now. As crazy as things are/may be over there, Bush could have been portrayed as being down with the peeps--"I care about my troops, but I care about you too." He could have talked about how he wants to give Iraq back to the Iraqis as quickly as possible, talked about upcoming elections, etc. That sounds like a 1-2 PR punch to me. "Look at him! He went all the way to Iraq to eat with the troops and to talk to Iraqis personally! What a stand up guy!"

Carville and Matalin better be looking over their shoulders.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 11-30-2003 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:46 AM   #5
Torrere
a real smartass

Didn't his father do something similar, albiet with a less brilliant flourish?
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:49 AM   #6
elSicomoro

Dubya's dad went to Saudi Arabia to visit the troops on Thanksgiving Day in 1990, a month and change before the start of the first war.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:15 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Just what Iraquis would you have him visit? The man in the street? Hell, why not Saddams home town. Sure get down with the home boys. C'mon, the only Iraquis he could visit would be the ones we're grooming to run the joint and that would just give them less credibility with the man on the street. Mingling with the natives is a bad idea. No win situation.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:31 PM   #8
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

I was flipping around the television on Thursday when I caught it. I remarked to myself "Huh. Nice one. Well done." and moved on. Now, given my feelings towards the man, that's saying something.

Fast forward to Friday, where I'm again trolling the news channels, and I stop short on one particular story. Apparently, Hillary Clinton had a visit to Iraq scheduled for Friday, an event that naturally would be well-known inside political circles, or if not, then available to any who desired such knowledge.

I saw that and immediately thought "You know, I don't like the man. I don't like his political ideology, I don't like his agenda, I don't like the fact that he looks like a monkey. But damned if I won't give credit where it's due. That was a slick-ass move." Hell, I gave the news to my mother, who is as sweetly naive as they come. And politically, she sounds like she rolled off the turnip truck a few weeks ago, (rather than day before yesterday, I'm happy to report. I've rubbed off on her.) and SHE understood the significance of what Bush did.

Like you said, UT, it was very Bubba-esque. Koko has good advisors, what can I say? And syc, though it appears the Year Zero curse has been lifted, I don't think Bush felt like pushing it.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:58 AM   #9
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

I dunno why... but the title of this thread made me think of "Bonzo goes to Bitburg" by the Ramones.

That is all.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:37 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It turns out Bush did meet with Iraqis, and it turns out he accomplished something with them. Columnist David Warren (via here):

Quote:
President Bush’s drop-in to Baghdad for American Thanksgiving has been rightly reported as a propaganda stunt — a good one, building morale among beleaguered and homesick U.S. forces, and giving America itself a self-confident boost. But his principal accomplishment during the two-and-a-half hours he was on the ground has gone mostly below radar.
In a brief meeting with four senior and representative members of the provisional Iraqi Governing Council, he seems to have broken a logjam. The problem for the U.S. is to be able to hand over full sovereign power to an elected Iraqi government by July 1st of next year, with a “status of forces” agreement guaranteeing the continuing presence of U.S. troops to provide background security.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:10 PM   #11
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

All I know is that I was at work, watching the Purina Dog Show in Philly, and right as they were picking "Best of Show", MSNBC news kicks in with a special report that Bush went to Iraq.

I don't care. It doesn't change his intelligence or his policies or the fact that our guys are dying every day. Was it a nice gesture? Yes. But please. Such a big deal?? No.

Of course, once they came back from "ooo, ahh, big secret trip, hoo dee hoo..." the Best in Show part was over and some other fruity thing came on. So I MISSED IT! DAMN him and his "political coop" anyways! *stomps off, muttering*

(And, yes, I'm aware I typed coop. Joke.)
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 12:49 AM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Darn it! That show was at the Fort Washington Expo Center (about 15 minutes from me). I love watching the Westminster Kennel Club show every year on the two day broadcast on USA Network, would have been great to go to a live event.

I was looking around and couldn't find the results posted anywhere yet, which I think to be a bit strange. They aren't rebroadcasting on any of the cable networks, are they?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:37 AM   #13
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Some one get me a price quote on what his two hour visit cost the tax payers...

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:47 AM   #14
Dagnabit
High Propagandist

It cost the fuel for Air Force One.
Dagnabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 05:02 PM   #15
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagnabit
It cost the fuel for Air Force One.
I've been pondering replying to this or to not bother. But what the hell...

Because all of that security is free right? The only thing that costs anything is fuel? No pilots get paid, they do it for the love of their country. No security people get paid, they do it because GW is such an inspiring leader. No...

Why do I bother?

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote