The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 03-22-2006, 01:06 AM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

This is Getting Duckin' Reficulous...

I'm dragging myself through my second severe respiratory episode in less than a month. I had almost two weeks of horrible sinus clogging, quantities of drainage that would make a firehose envious, coughing from hell, and a complete lack of ability to function. That was just under 30 days ago. Starting last Thursday, I began sneezing like mad at work. It continued into the next day, and by Saturday night, I felt like a train was bearing down on me.

So here I sit at 1:00 AM CST, unable to sleep for shit. Can't breathe, nose *will not* clear up, and I've now taken both a 24 hour time release dose of pure pseudoephedrine and now a guanefesin/Phenylephedrine combo 12-hour pill within three hours of each other, *plus* I've taken a breathing treatment with a neublizer ramming albuterol down my trachea. Pretty fucking stupid for a heart patient, huh? So I'm wired and *still* can't breathe.

Mrs Elspode has also just come off a very nasty respiratory infection last week, and we now strongly suspect that we have a sick bedroom, so we just put an Ionic Breeze knockoff in there running at full tilt, plus crammed a $7.00 high efficiency filter in the furnace.

Tomorrow night, If I can breathe at all, I'm going to go through the room with a shop vac sporting a new killer filter, and vacuum the hell out of all the nooks and crannies, and burn the comforter.

In the meantime...I have inventory all day tomorrow and there's no way I can not be at work. Wish me luck.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:46 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Luck Bro. Everybody aound here has respiratory crap going on but cleaning the bedroom is prolly a good idea anyway. I'm taking horse pills for a sinus infection now.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:01 AM   #3
SouthOfNoNorth
Colloquialist

this kind of thing happens to me evertime there is a drastic temperature/weather change, which unfortunately happens all the time here in pittsburgh. i don't think mine has ever been as bad as what you've described, though. sorry to hear it, and i hope it clears up soon.

incidentally, i've dealt with this all of my life, and up until recently i just accepted never being able to breathe and that 25% of the time everything i eat tasting like mucus. i got a prescription for allegra a little while back, and it usually does the trick. not sure if you already have prescriptions for this kind of thing, though.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
FallenFairy
nope

My 19 yr old was always prone to respiratory and sinus problems (not to mention allergies) I got 2 Ionic breezes - one for her room and one for our family room - went one step further and laid hardwood floors in her room... it has actually seemed to help... And we got her on Clariton otc -
Hope you feel better soon Elspode!
Old 03-22-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Bleach your sheets, toss your toothbrushes, bleach the holder, lysol pillows (without covers), bleach every surface you come into contact with that bleach won't ruin, Lysol the others. If you don't have a dishwasher that sanatizes, add bleach to your washwater. (not rinse water). Dixie cups are a godsend. I even keep a separate garbage can for the snotty kleenexes, that gets emptied out regularly when one of us is sick. We rarely pass things between us at our house. Mt husband seems to end up with pneumonia whenever he gets a cold, so we are ultra careful when I or rugrat are sick. But not the rest of the time, dirt helps keep the immune system from turning on you....
Old 03-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
mrnoodle
bent

yuk...similar stuff has been making the rounds around here. With dad in chemo, he's particularly susceptible to infection, so we have to be triply careful. The doctors recommend Oust for disinfecting the air. You might also get someone to prescribe you some saline wash for your nasal stuff. It hurts like hell, but the relief at being able to breathe again makes it worth it.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:31 AM   #7
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Maybe I'm lucky that I have never come across the need for such an array of medicines and precautions, nor have known anyone over here that goes through the hell all of you seem to be going through.

Which makes me ask is it luck or is there some godawful foul stuff being pumped into the atmosphere you are forced to breathe where you are living? If it is induced by an allergic reaction, usually there is something that has a damaging effect to the immune system first, be that exhaust emissions or chemicals such as those used in a variety of household cleaners, paints and so on....
Old 03-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Get some decent damn rest. That should fix things.

And have some mint and slippery elm bark tea for good measure.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #9
Elspode

I've just finished (well, mostly) two of the worst goddamn work days I've ever had. If it hadn't been for two critical things occuring at the same time which required my presence as long as I could draw breath, I would have stayed home.

Massive quantities of antibiotics and Guanefesin seem to have the worst of the symptoms under control now, but my abdomen is killing me from the coughing and blowing of the nose. I calculate that, based on the number of Kleenex used, I blew my nose approximately 75 times yesterday. Needless to say, my nose is now about as raw as sushi. Even my eyelids are raw. I can't even figure that part out.

I plan to take a discretionary vacation day I have coming and stay home tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:57 AM   #10
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

The legbone connected to the ... thighbone...

Your eyes are connected to your nose via the nasolacrimal ducts. When you sneeze or blow your nose there's a slight backlash. I guess if you sneeze enough...
Old 03-24-2006, 09:59 AM   #11
glatt

I saw Penn and Teller on Letterman years ago. Teller pushed a small dried bean through that tube. He put the bean in his mouth and did all sorts of snorting and blowing until the bean (which Letterman had written on with a sharpie to identify) came out under his eyelid. Is was gross and cool at the same time.
Attached Images

Last edited by glatt; 03-24-2006 at 10:05 AM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:24 AM   #12
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

That channel opened in me when I was sick a couple of years ago. Now I have to put pressure on the inner corner of my eye when I blow my nose.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #13
Elspode

I occasionally blow my nose and have stuff come out of my tear ducts. That really doesn't explain why the surface of my eyelids are raw, though.

Oh...and I didn't get to take the discretionary day off, either. My boss has deemed me too important in his absence. What a life...too important to be off, but not important enough to be off.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:51 PM   #14
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Well. You won't be able to take next week off either, because I'm guessing that the rest of the staff will have caught it from you by then. Make sure you rest over the weekend.

On the eyelid thing - the surface huh? Pretty weird.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:25 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
is there some godawful foul stuff being pumped into the atmosphere
Yes, it's called advertising.