The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Adak
Lecturer

Now that all those NSA is eavesdropping on us

nightmares, are shown to have become true. (by Snowden)

How do you feel about it?

I have this unshakable feeling that if someone in gov't can press a few keys and call up every phone call, email, Tweet, and internet post that anyone has made - we can kiss Mrs. Liberty goodbye.

Time to say hello to Mr. Tyranny. Those keys will be well used.

I especially enjoyed the revelation that Microsoft was working with the NSA, to make it easier and more efficient for them to de-code encrypted Skype and email communications. Since MS, like Google, Intel, and every related company, is required to assist the gov't -- it's all very neat.

Our privacy rights have been yanked away from us, but the gov't has them in a swell looking box with very nice wrapping paper around it, and a substantial bow on it's top!
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I have a subscription to Counterprism Online and for just $49.95 all records of my electronic communications are virtually shredded, to top secret classified information standards, for an entire year.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Well, that's what you're paying for, but is it paranoid to wonder if subscribing to that just gets you red flagged on the NSA computers?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:40 AM   #4
Adak
Lecturer

Yes, for every dire emergency, our Congress will put forth another bill - not because we need it, or that it does any good - but just because "something has to be done", and their new idiot bill is "something". :p

One thing we need to change - I believe it's in the Patriot Act - is having this massive eavesdropping by the NSA, against US.

They have always worked OUTSIDE our borders, not INSIDE them. Any agency that needs to eavesdrop inside our borders, should present probable cause before a judge, not just press a few computer keys, with no oversight judicial oversight.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

I've probably said it before but when it was decided to subvert the Articles of Confederation because it didn't create a powerful enough Federal government people wanted their rights guaranteed because the new Constitution was a naturally grasping document. Our present situation with the deterioration of the 4th Amendment smells like total state.

The NSA business outside our borders breeds the same sort of contempt for America that the Bush Administration didn't take into account before the Iraq debacle. Its a small planet and getting smaller.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
Yes, for every dire emergency, our Congress will put forth another bill - not because we need it, or that it does any good - but just because "something has to be done", and their new idiot bill is "something". :p

One thing we need to change - I believe it's in the Patriot Act - is having this massive eavesdropping by the NSA, against US.

They have always worked OUTSIDE our borders, not INSIDE them. Any agency that needs to eavesdrop inside our borders, should present probable cause before a judge, not just press a few computer keys, with no oversight judicial oversight.
I also agree 100%, which is pretty rare with you, Adak.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Hey Adak! Guess what?

I agree.

Yah really.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Hey Adak! Guess what?

I agree.

Yah really.
Imma go out on a limb and say its because you're all correct to be concerned.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #9
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Hey Adak! Guess what?

I agree.

Yah really.
What??

Have I entered into another dimension? Perhaps the Twilight Zone?

Aside from the obvious fact that our political leaders are largely idiots and liars, I doubt they would have the ability to turn the country into a tyranny, at this time.

That will eventually change, as the erosion of our rights continue.

And if we don't stop this erosion, it will be the end of our democracy. Oh, we will still have elections, they'll just be like the Soviet Union's were:

You have just one candidate that you can vote for.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

This is indeed a disturbing thread.

The inevitable incompetence of all massive bureaucracies is our greatest hope. And it's a sad day when that is true.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
Adak
Lecturer

Unfortunately, they have "volunteered" MS, Google, and many other competent experts to help them out - already with great results, according to the leaks from Snowden.

No chance it won't be a first class eavesdropping effort, I'm afraid.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

1- Except for a brief statement, we don't know exactly what Snowdon was saying, or if it was true. We only get what other people thought he said.
2- We don't know what the NSA is doing with this supposed capability, only what people are speculating they can do.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #13
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
1- Except for a brief statement, we don't know exactly what Snowdon was saying, or if it was true. We only get what other people thought he said.
2- We don't know what the NSA is doing with this supposed capability, only what people are speculating they can do.
sounds like the zimmerman trial, but jumping to the island of unknown conclusions was the cool thing to do in that case.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post

The NSA director has stated that they are collecting "metadata" (date, time, callers phone numbers, names, etc.), on EVERY phone call, both from inside the USA, or calls going to or coming from, outside the USA.

Also, they are collecting every email (encrypted or not), every Skype call, etc., to or from, every person inside the USA.

All the above, and more, are being stored. At any time they want, they can recall and read every record they wish. They would not need, in practice, any judicial approval whatsoever.

We need to go back to the simple idea that the CIA and NSA work OUTSIDE the USA, not inside it, and nobody archives every form of signal (call, email, video, etc.), from every citizen.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

We knew in 2007 they were monitoring everything going through the country, and everything coming in from, or going out to, other countries.

There has been a lot of cartoons, and comedians joking about the NSA listening to your phone calls but I think that has misled the public. As I understand it, they are only keeping what number you called and how long the call lasted, unless they are already on your ass for some other reason. If that's the case, nothing will stop them.