The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 10-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #1
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Baseball Playoffs

The Yankees 8-4 rout of the Tigers is not a big surprise.

Today's big news is the A's and Zito beating the Twinkies and Santana, baseball's best pitcher. It's hard to get a lot of fastballs past Frank Thomas without him hitting it out of the park (twice). He can't hit Zito's curveball at all, which isn't an issue this year

The playoffs are all about pitching and defense. That's where the A's are best. Except for Jay Payton, who muffs a lot of plays in LF. The A's pitching staff is deep right now with Loaiza, Haren, and Harden to start, and several regular-season starters on call for long relief. Minny is thin at pitching with their injuries now, and Oakland now coming back from injuries. So, beating Santana was very big.

After a bad September, the Cardinals took care of business in San Diego. They look ready for prime time again.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:58 PM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

baseball is ghey
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:53 AM   #3
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Agreed on the Yankees. You know their pitching isn't top notch this year but when their offense puts 8 runs on the board they aren't going to lose much.

That A's victory was fantastic from my view. Santana was lossless in his last 23 starts in the Metrodome. To go in there and take what looked like sure victory for Minnesota is a huge coup. Frank Thomas, with his two homers in that game, has finally provided what Beane was looking for with Durazo a few years back: somebody who can take the ball deep and score a few runs when facing a control pitcher like Santana. Zito picked the perfect time to pitch a great game and hold the Twins offense down. The pressure is really on Bosner now. I like Loaiza given his postseason experience but it's by no means an assured win.

St. Louis certainly has the players to win. As long as they don't underachieve like they did most of the year I think they'll make it past the Padres. Still, when a team collapses like the Cards did at the end of the year it makes you wonder.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
W.HI.P
Free

I went to the bookies yesturday to bet on the yankees, Carpenters St.Louis and the Twins, only to find that the twins were favorite at 1,30!!!
Thats like Italy vs Egypt in soccer, and I'm like wtf?? Santana sucks, I've seen his past few starts, a totally hitable pitcher, I said why not take the 2,50.
So thanks to the A's, And 2 easy ones, I had a perfect day Yesturday.

The Mets are down to 1 pitcher=Glavine, and although I hope the Dodgers progress, I cannot bet against the Mets line-up, because I know that it has he ability to put more runs up then the Yankees.

I'm gonna take b.Bonser today, unless they friggin have it at 1,30 again,lol!
...but I doubt it..The rest goes to HOCKEY which happens to be starting TODAY!
W.HI.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
warch
lurkin old school

split loyalties. Twins/Wild. Wild Home opener Thursday at 7. I'm there!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Wow. Hunter keeps Kotsay's hit in front of him and it's just 1st and 2nd with 2 outs. Not a terrible jam at all. A veteran has to take calculated risks and not just wildly gamble. Credit Kotsay for running hard out of the batters box. Even in his prime, Bonds would have been trotting to first then settle for a triple.

So, WHIP, I find it interesting that you would bet on a rookie pitcher in the playoffs. Doesn't seem like a good risk to me.

Warch, did I tell you already that my bro live in Minny? We went to the Steelers game at Vikings in Dec along with 20,000 other Steelers fans. Another trip we saw Joe Jackson over in St. Paul.

I think its weird having two different cities across the river. Cities I lived in, Portland and Pittsburgh, span rivers.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:21 AM   #7
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

I'm not sure on Hunter. If he plays it's runners on 1st and 3rd with Bradley up. If he catches it inning over. Right then and there. I highly doubt he equated missing the catch with two runs scoring.

Now Santana sucks? Guess the A's are in good company
Old 10-05-2006, 02:31 AM   #8
W.HI.P
Free

Santana's overated, always was, he's no Carpenter, he's no pedro, and of course his stuff dosen't come close to k-rod's or even in the same proximity as M.Rivera's.
The A's suck, they've sucked all year...I did make some cash off them game 1 though. But a team??? lol...someone had to be there for the Yankees to step on. Of course you have to cheer Jebediah, the Raiders can't bring you any joy.
Enjoy it while it lasts!

One questions remains in baseball, can the Dodgers surpass the Mets to face the Yankees in the World series? ..or will it be another NY-NY matchup?
W.HI.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:04 AM   #9
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

EL OH EL!
Old 10-05-2006, 06:05 AM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Rain out = Afternoon game! Hooray!
I'm sure Fox and Espn could come up with a worse schedule for baseball but they'd have to try pretty hard. When I was a kid I remember coming home from school and watching playoff games. There is no way I'm letting my kids stay up all night watching baseball.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:49 PM   #11
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

MLB just plain hates its fans sometimes. I paid for the radio pass to listen to games this year. Try to tune into the first playoff game and I get a page saying for only $9.99 I can listen to all the playoff games... WTF? Follow the whole season just so they can try to spread your wallet again? Stuff like that (and insane blackout rules, boneheaded scheduling, etc) is why Baseball is America's #2 sport.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #12
warch
lurkin old school

Awww. Twins gone. It was fun while it lasted. Flew too close to the sun on wings of pastrami. Still, whoever...beat those Yanks!

But on to hockey: Wild beat the Avs in the home opener in OT..Todd-o White!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:05 AM   #13
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Looks like it not even be against the Yankees unless they get their act together.

Twins had a great run but they really had some major failures and played against a team who didn't make mistakes. Twins were really hurt by lack of depth among their starters, bullpen choking and hitters being unable to produce with men on base. Give them another year or two, they are a team going places if they avoid injury and fill a few holes.

Oakland played a good series and will benefit from the extra days of rest thanks to wrapping this up early.

If the Yankees win will they put Johnson back on the mound?
Old 10-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

I don't know if that wasn't his last game ever. Good pitching beats good hitting so its starting to look like football season. The Yanks have to play a different brand of baseball than they played all year due to the personnel changes. On paper they look much stronger, but when a guy like Melky who performed in the clutch all year long ends up riding the bench and the other role players get almost no playing time you wonder if the team feels like a team.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #15
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Wow. Rogers was in a zone and couldn't be hit by the best lineup in baseball. I'm hoping that the A's don't have to face any more Jeter heroics.

The Unit shouldn't have gone out there for the sixth inning. Oh, yeah, the Yankees have no bullpen.