The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-26-2003, 11:13 PM   #16
Dr. Zaius
Superior Inhabitant

Here's a link if you want to know more...

http://www.whitington.com/fouke/

Apparently there is more to the legend of Boggy Creek than I thought.
Dr. Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 09:03 AM   #17
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
THe sequence in 'the others' where she pushes slightly on teh door and it pushes back a couple of times, then slams in her face made me jump.
me too. the first time i watched it was at my parents house where they have a very nice sound setup. i seriously doubt i would have found the movie as creepy without hearing the sound as it was intended to be heard. the sound in that movie is fantastic.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 11:46 PM   #18
headsplice
Relaxed

The last movie that scared the beezus out of me was Event Horizon. I went to the Land of Cheese to visit some friends and we went to the theatre where they had worked before coming to school. There were only about ten of us in the building and they had the music turned WAY up. I was so scared when the astronaut's helmet opens up at the end I actually yelled. Everyone was so afraid after the movie that no one would go the bathroom alone.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:14 PM   #19
Elionwyr
Coronation Incarnate

Re: Movies that actually scared somebody

<i>Scream</i> scared the bejeezus outta me.
But that's because I have a whole healthy little "oh crap the axe murderer is gonna get me" phobia.

As a kid, the only movies that scared me that much were:
<i>The Exorcist</I> (I'm really not sure why - probably because I was roughly Reagan's age when I saw it)
<i>Have You Checked the Children?</i> (I think that's the name - never actually saw it, but heard the whole damn thing because my folks watched it with the volume turned way up)
<i>The Shining</i> (which is where the axe murderer thang first started)

(Did see <i>The Ring</i> and thought some of the images were dang creepy...reminded me a LOT of <i>In Dreams</I>, much to my surpise. Good flicks, both of 'em.)
Elionwyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:35 PM   #20
Chris MC
IT'S IN THE TREES! ... IT'S COMING! ...

Location: I moved down to Southampton on the central South Coast in 1967
My scariest movies were Black Christmas aka Silent Night Evil Night 1974 starring Keir Dullea and Margot Kidder coz you never get to see the entity, you just hear it vocalise and shuffle about. The noises it makes are sooo inhuman ... freaked me out completely. The next one was Night Of The Demon aka Curse Of The Demon 1957, b/w movie based on an M.R. James story called Casting The Runes. I feel the title was changed to curse in the US coz that would prolly attract a bigger audience. Next one was The Haunting 1963 ... didn't like the latest one. The Legend Of Hell House 1973 was based on The Haunting and was a darn sight more frightening shot in a documentary style with times and dates. It starred Clive Revill, Gale Hunnicutt and Roddy McDowall. Judith Crist said in 1977 "one of the most absorbing, goose-fleshing and mind-pleasing ghost breaker yarns on film"

On to television now, The Stone Tape is a classic ghost story mixed in with modern technology, something that really does it for me, the more believable it is the more frightening. It starred Jane Asher and Ian Cuthbertson. the script is quite a good read too. The Nightmare Man was a BBC production from 1981. Shot on a Scottish island and made by many of the team responsible for Dr Who during its most frightening period. I always found Sapphire & Steel quite frightening especially the second story which was set in an abandoned railway station and had ghostly wartime travellers appearing and disappearing ... very scary.

Chris.
"It doesn't involve going to the theater."
"In my experience, Mr. Grissom, some men go to the theater ... some men are the theater."
-- Lady Heather and Gil Grissom (Slaves of Las Vegas)
Chris MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 01:01 AM   #21
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

"Aliens"..."Last House on the Left"...the very last scene in the movie "Carrie"..."The Amityville Horror", before everyone found out it was total fabrication.

Just as a general note, I've always preferred films where the awfulness is inferred, rather than graphically depicted. "The Others" was a modern and very, very well done example of this tradition of horror/suspense which I'd thought had died long ago.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:24 PM   #22
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Scariest TV show goes to 'Kolchak: The Night Stalker'. Before 'Friday the 13th' it was one of the few shows or movies in the 70's to add suspense to horror.

I still remember the episode where he is in a hearse in a junkyard trying to lay the zombie to rest. He was almost on top of it when it opened its eyes.

My cousin was outside the picture window directly behind the couch I was sitting on. At that exact moment he tapped on the window. Yep, I still remember that moment.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 02:30 PM   #23
Dr. Zaius
Superior Inhabitant

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode

Just as a general note, I've always preferred films where the awfulness is inferred, rather than graphically depicted.
Thats why I always get the creeps when the Blair Witch Project is aired.
Dr. Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 05:19 AM   #24
iDadalex
Aggregate Aggravator

Poltergeist 3 scares the crap out of me because of that Preacher, he is just freaky
Old 06-17-2003, 09:29 PM   #25
bmgb
Master of the Domain

I would have to second "Signs" and "The Others". After I saw "Signs", I had to keep my feet away from the edge of the bed, afraid there was one of those creatures underneath it. And I am an adult (supposedly).

I saw the Others in the theater on a day when they were having sound malfunctions (it was louder than it should have been). I was there with my burly big brother and he was shaking when we walked out. Not sure if it was the movie or the loudness.

I've procured copies of both versions of "The Ring" so I'm looking forward to watching those. I think I'll watch the US version first since the Japanese version is supposed to be better. Even better, I'll watch ALONE. :-o
bmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 10:10 AM   #26
cin
Fellow-Commoner

Most of the movies already mentioned scared me. It doesn't take much for a scary movie to paralyze me with fear. I kind of enjoy it... so I probably exaggerate it a bit. Hmm... Anyway, I have seen trailers for two new movies that creeped me out. 28 Days Later (nothing's scarier than a zombie) and Godsend. I don't think Godsend is supposed to be a horror film, but there's a scary little boy in it. I take back the zombie line. Nothing's scarier than kids in horror movies. The Shining is probably the worst. Also, those of you that can't look at your tv screen when it's turned off, you should check out Ringu (the original Japanese version of The Ring - Much scarier).

cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:42 PM   #27
bmgb
Master of the Domain

I've got to see this...

Man Scared to Death by Horror Movie?
bmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 06:52 PM   #28
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Unhappy Re: Movies that actually scared somebody

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm not talking about something jumping out of the bushes unexpectedly. I'm talking about a movie that scares somebody into a fetal position, can't sleep for three days without nightmares stuff.
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The only movie I can think of that qualifies is The Excorcist. I got a copy of that when I was 16 and showed it to the 15 year old son of a holy-roller across the street. He balled up in the corner of the couch and whimpered, "Turn it off" a few times. I found it facinating to watch him, unable to turn away, scared shitless. Amusing too. Anyone else?
I'm a big old ninny, so most horror movies I REFUSE to watch, but I'll have to agree with you on The Excorcist ("The power of Christ compels you!!" Or something like that). Hell, just reading the BOOK creeped me out!

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 01:10 PM   #29
Kate in the City
Fhqwghads Lovechild

Crossroads

My friend MADE me see it a couple months ago. I wake up from my sleep, screaming sometimes.

It still hurts.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:48 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Ha, Ha, Ha! Good one Kate.