The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 04-28-2004, 03:05 PM   #16
russotto
Professor

Quote:
The number of documents referencing a person named Jesus and the key events in his life is exponentially larger, mostly because it was more recent history. [/b]
None of them, however, are contemporary with his supposed life.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:47 PM   #17
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by Clodfobble
Well, taking up a part of your argument you probably never intended... do you seriously have doubts whether a man named Jesus actually existed? Not that he was who he said he was, just that he existed at all? I mean, come on... the amount of historical reference to him is staggering.
Depends on which history your're reading, same as many other issues in history.

I never said he didn't exist, I was just couching it in the context of the specific person referrenced by me. The red letter guy specifically. I'm just curious about the person, if that specific person actually existed, and how much different he would have been from the version everyone is familiar with.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:17 PM   #18
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
do you seriously have doubts whether a man named Jesus actually existed? Not that he was who he said he was, just that he existed at all? I mean, come on... the amount of historical reference to him is staggering.
I know that there have been lots of guys named Jesus. One of them mows our lawn. But as far as Jesus of Nazareth, I not only have doubts, I'm fairly certain that fictional character wasn't even based on an actual person.

Nothing written about Jesus was written during his supposed lifetime.

In fact there is not one shred of proof of the existance of Jesus of Nazareth other than embellished stories written and told several generations after that character supposedly died.

But even if they did find that Jesus was an actual person, he was only a person. Only a teacher like Confucious, Buddha, Mohammad, etc.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:29 PM   #19
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

...and the constitution is just some ink on paper, no more significant than any other piece of paper with writing on it.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 06:34 PM   #20
marichiko

Its stuff like that web site which gives God a bad name. I feel sorry for God. S/he has enough to contend with as it is without having to deal with defamation of character on top of it all.

Last edited by marichiko; 04-28-2004 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:45 PM   #21
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
...and the constitution is just some ink on paper, no more significant than any other piece of paper with writing on it.
Luckily for me, the United States of America has always been and always will continue to be a secular nation based on the Constitution instead of fictional books about a guy named Jesus.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:45 PM   #22
SamGrey
Born of Text and Hubris

Well, as I tactfully avoid the real or fiction argument, it does appear as if I will be joing my fellow sinners in hell.

What was the line, oh yeah:

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the Sinners are much more fun..."

And Kirk, as far as hell goes, I've seen Growing Pains, you first.
SamGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 08:02 PM   #23
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast
It does, however, have the benefit of being something people agreed to abide by, and can be changed if 2/3 of the country thinks it's a good idea.
Let's take that standard to the bible (or any other religious tract) and see what's left.

- Pie
Old 04-28-2004, 08:47 PM   #24
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Kirk Cameron and I share the same birthday.

That is all.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:11 PM   #25
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Let's see...just to inform (trans: DON'T lose your minds over this, because I'm just passing on info and really couldn't give a rat's ass what anyone else believes. I'm not attacking Christians here, so put that out of your minds)

Christos means simply "Anointed one," and was a title of many Middle-Eastern Sacrificial Gods. Among the Essenes, a Christos was a priest, specifically designated as Sin Bearer or Redeemer; one who atoned for other's sins. Among the Slavs, Christos or Krstnik meant a sacrificial hero and also an "accursed one," due to the ancient practice of laying a formal curse on the sin-bearer before he was sacrificed.

Immanuel, which is what the Angel told Mary her child would be called, is the Persian title of the god Immani, or E-mani, venerated in Elam as a sacred King-martyr. One of his later incarnations was the savior Mani, allegedly born of a virgin named Mary.

Like Adonis, Jesus was born of a virgin. He was eaten in the form of bread as were Adonis, Osiris, Dionysus, and others. Like the followers of Osiris, his followers made him a part of themselves through consumption, thus participating in his resurrection.

Like Attis, Jesus was sacrificed at the spring Equinox and rose again three days later, when he became God and ascended to heaven. Like Orpheus and Heracles, he "harrowed hell" and brought a secret of eternal life, promising to draw all men with him up to glory. Like Mithra and all the other solar gods, his birthday is celebrated nine months later at winter Solstice (Dec. 25 is Mithra's birthday. Jesus was born in the spring, when the census was taken).

From the Elder gods, Jesus acquired not only his title of Christos, but other titles as well. Osiris and Tammuz were called Good Shepherd. Sarapis was Lord of Death and King of Glory. Mithra and Heracles were Light of the World, Sun of Righteousness. Helios was the Rising Sun. Dionysus was King of Kings, God of Gods. Hermes was the Enlightened one and the Logos. Vishnu and Mithra were Son of Man and Messiah. Adonis was the Lord and the Bridegroom, and Mot-Aleyin was the Lamb of God. "Savior" (Soter) was applied to all of them.

Turning water into wine was a Dionysian Ritual practiced at Sidon and Alexandria. Many years earlier, Priestesses in Nineveh cured the blind with spittle, and the story was repeated of many different gods and their incarnations. Demeter of Eleusis mulitplied loaves and fishes in her role of Mistress of the earth and sea.

There's more, but this is WAAAAAY too long as it is. But for all you pagans out there, this is a good way to shut up the people who try to convert you and tell you you're going to hell. It's always worked for me Forgive me for the length of this post.

I honestly believe that Jesus did exist. However, I think he was a teacher (we know he was a Rabbi), because I know how Christianity borrowed from other religions so much that it's hard to know what part of Christianity is really original.

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:17 PM   #26
elSicomoro

I just look at anyone that tries to sway me to their religion and growl, "All religions are shit! Now fuck off and die!"

That seems to work really well.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:18 PM   #27
Lady Sidhe

By the way, according to his little test, I'm going straight to hell. Do not pass through Limbo, do not collect good time in Purgatory.

You know, according to him, God must spend 99% of His time thouroughly pissed off at everyone. He must be hell to live with up there in heaven (no pun intended).

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Old 04-28-2004, 10:20 PM   #28
Lady Sidhe

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I just look at anyone that tries to sway me to their religion and growl, "All religions are shit! Now fuck off and die!"

That seems to work really well.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Do you have to tell them to close their mouths so as not to catch flies after you say that?

-Rita Rudner

Old 04-28-2004, 10:36 PM   #29
elSicomoro

I just like the hurt look that I get from them...
Old 04-28-2004, 10:38 PM   #30
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Clodfobble
do you seriously have doubts whether a man named Jesus actually existed?
I sure the hell do.