The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-26-2006, 02:23 PM   #331
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

GUNS, GERMS AND STEEL: The Fate of Human Societies
Jarod Diamond.

YIKES.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #332
Maui Nick
... is not really in Maui. Weird, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Welcome to The Cellar, Maui Nick!!
Thanks.

Wasn't sure where to put my first post and this thread seemed as good as any.
Maui Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:55 PM   #333
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

What Color Is Your Parachute by Richard Nelson Bolles.

Recommended to me by footfootfoot, for which I am indebted. This is not my first time through this collected wisdom. Many years ago I read it like a kid takes medicine, and when the job happened, I forgot the unpleasantness of the bulk of the work of the book. I am now catching up on a considerable backlog of deferred maintenance on my career.

Thank you, footfootfoot. Nine chapters down on my first lap. Keep you all posted.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:37 PM   #334
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Wow. I had no idea that still existed. I thought TA went the way of Primal Scream therapy. (although one of my schizophrenic gaming friends did go to The Primal Institute in California where they gave him a radical cashectomy and in return added some interesting flavoring to his pre-existing delusional systems. Last I heard, by the way, he was working for the IRS.)
I'm only just starting it. The surface premise is reasonable. I'll know more in a few weeks. I'm reading seven texts this semester in school.

Last edited by Troubleshooter; 01-26-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Troubleshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #335
Griff
still says videotape

The Invasion by Gerald Griffin. Vikings are invading Old Ireland. It is really interesting to read something written by a relative quite removed in time and space. I really understand the conflicted feelings he carried about his people [Irish], religion [Pagans/ Catholics], and government [how to throw out the Brits is the real question]. He's not a bad fantasy/ faux history writer but for me the cool part is to read someone whose thoughts were in part formed by my ancesters thoughts. Bottom line there is some damn good libertarian soliloquy buried in there. There is a difference in hero building compared to modern writers. In modern books heros arise when circumstances demand one. In this one, Elim (our hero) develops himself over time knowing that he's called to greatness. Interesting.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #336
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

revisitng the whole Outlander series from Diana Gabaldon - time transport through standing stones into Scottish history. I'm so jealous.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:34 PM   #337
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Just finished the third book in George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. I have never before come across an author who so royally screws over every character with an ounce of goodness in them. I like it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:43 PM   #338
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Absolutely. I reread book 3 last summer, and book 4 is near the top of my to-read stack.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:17 PM   #339
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm actually deliberately holding off on book 4 as long as I can, hopefully until there's an official release date set for book 5. There were 5 whole years in between 3 and 4, and the way he likes to end on cliffhangers, I'm not about to use up all my available material and have to wait that long for the next one.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:41 AM   #340
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I've read some of George RR Martin's stand-alone novels and some Short Stories over the years, but never got into the series stuff.

I am about to embark upon The 48 Laws of Power.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:21 AM   #341
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of the Ryche
revisitng the whole Outlander series from Diana Gabaldon - time transport through standing stones into Scottish history. I'm so jealous.
I think this is a great series of books. The love story is wonderful. Transports me to unimaginable fantasies and stuff like that.....

I've recently finished reading the whole 7 books in The Dark Tower series and loved it. I'm a fantasy freak so anything to do with that sort of thing is great for me. Stephen Donaldson is my favourite author so if there are any other Thomas Covenant fans, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

At the moment I'm reading a biography of Mary Shelly (the chick who wrote Frankenstein).
Aliantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:26 AM   #342
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have to read the last three books in the Dark Tower. No spoilers, please!!

I think there was a discussion on Thomas Covenant around here somewhere ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 01-27-2006, 01:30 AM   #343
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Roll back to around page 19 of this very thread (post 271 starts a discussion) and you'll see some talk about The Unbeliever.

It also gets mentions in this thread.

Last edited by wolf; 01-27-2006 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:57 AM   #344
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

#1) Diana Gabaldon's Outlander books always got me hot for men in kilts.
#2) How come so very many of you guys read this dastardly Science Fiction stuff? I have never read a Sci-Fi I liked. Too technical--like reading a stereo manual only on another level. I don't need fifty pages discribing how the influx capacitor worked, I am very adept at willing suspension of disbelief.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:19 AM   #345
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Piloting, Seamanship, and Small Boat Handling. Black Wind by Clive Cussler. Coast Guard Auxiliary Vessel Examiner Course. I should be reading somthing socelely redeeming but I dont want to.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books