The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #661
Griff
still says videotape

He reads likes he's in his thirties but the photo talk has me thinking he is late fifties.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #662
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Just turned 62
Old 06-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #663
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:38 AM   #664
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Thanks for participating; alas, no one guessed it. Please try again next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
He reads likes he's in his thirties but the photo talk has me thinking he is late fifties.
A combination of being young at heart and blending with a younger crowd because IRL no one thinks that I look my age either.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #665
casimendocina
Professor

On asking someone today what their job was, they answered "I am a seaman." ... one fun part of what was an essentially crap day.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #666
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

This is more than mildly amusing, this is cracking me up to be honest, but there's no "What's cracking you up today?" thread...

So like 5 years ago, I bought a CD from a cute little independent website called CDBaby. Flash forward about 3 years, I get an email from the owner of the site talking about how he has sold the site for a ridiculous sum and used all the money to create a charity promoting music classes for underprivileged kids.

It was a nice story and all, but the tone of the email was more than a little pandering. The whole thing was written as if we were good friends, mail-merged with my first name, the name of the CD I had bought way back when, and even my shipping destination city. (As in, "Hope you've been enjoying that great weather in Austin!") Of course it had been sent to the entire email list of everyone who had ever purchased a CD from him, and was basically asking, in a super chummy way, for donations and other support for his new charity.

Well, I was bored that day, and more than a little bemused, so I wrote him an email in reply--as if yes, we were in fact good friends, and here, since he's given me such an extensive update on his life, let me in turn give him an extensive update on my interests. I told him all about the autism treatments, my cooking blog, sent him links to the progress videos, etc. He did write back with thanks and cursory interest, then it fizzled out after one or two more back-and-forths.

Then a few months later, he spammed me again with more self-serving links and information about his "projects." Again, to his whole list, again as if we were old friends from before the war. So I replied again in kind.

And again. And again.

Every time this dude contacts me about shit I don't care about, I send him one back about shit he doesn't care about. Today, my email said this:

Quote:
Hi Derek,

It's so great to hear from you! I apologize for the delay in my reply, my email program had moved your message to the spam folder (what could it possibly have been thinking?!) I know you must have been eagerly awaiting an update on my son's recovery from autism...
Etc., etc., lots of details about how great he's doing, the Tae Kwon Do school where no one has any idea he has (soon to be had) a diagnosis, and the current balance of digestive meds. But the real kicker was my closer:

Quote:
Check out the attached pictures from my son's colonoscopy!
God, I hope his email program has a preview function that will load the image without asking.

I know it would be more effective to just ask this guy directly to take me off his email list. But this is so much more fun...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #667
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
you are an evil genius, CF
Old 07-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #668
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

That's awesome.

I've taken to messing with the system lately. If I ever get anything addressed "to the householder" with a return address that looks unimportant, I return it marked "not known at this address". Or "deceased".

Make some bored drone in the dead letter office have a total WTF? moment.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #669
Griff
still says videotape

Nicely played!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #670
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I should not be allowed in the Tar-jay without a responsible adult.

Luckily I will be returning about $50 worth of the stuff I bought because it didn't fit.

So, like I'm in the female workout wear department. They have a lot of cute stuff, little racerback sports bras, little yoga pants, little Daisy Duke running shorts, emphasis on the little.

There was a staff member stocking and rehanging these cute little outfits. She was a very substantially sized young lady.

I asked her, "Excuse me, but do you have any workout wear for women who actually need it?"

She didn't say a word. She just shook her head, very slowly.

We both laughed in a very jolly manner.

I have to go check out the workout wear section at the Walmart. I think they are more likely to have my size.

My problem was that I decided to go around the whole store. Usually I just head straight for what I went for. And I kind of did. Unfortunately, there was an entire store in between the first thing I went for and the second.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #671
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

hehe thanks for the laugh clodfobble!
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:15 AM   #672
casimendocina
Professor

That's hilarious Clod. Awaiting the report of the CD guy's reply.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #673
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I should not be allowed in the Tar-jay without a responsible adult.

Luckily I will be returning about $50 worth of the stuff I bought because it didn't fit.

So, like I'm in the female workout wear department. They have a lot of cute stuff, little racerback sports bras, little yoga pants, little Daisy Duke running shorts, emphasis on the little.

There was a staff member stocking and rehanging these cute little outfits. She was a very substantially sized young lady.

I asked her, "Excuse me, but do you have any workout wear for women who actually need it?"

She didn't say a word. She just shook her head, very slowly.

We both laughed in a very jolly manner.

I have to go check out the workout wear section at the Walmart. I think they are more likely to have my size.

My problem was that I decided to go around the whole store. Usually I just head straight for what I went for. And I kind of did. Unfortunately, there was an entire store in between the first thing I went for and the second.
I love this story.

Oh, and the "entire store" included the Hello Kitty duct tape, right?

Target gets me into trouble every time!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #674
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Yes, wolf your story was funny too but I read it second and so, I forgot after the chuckle fest I had over clods.

"The emphasis on the word little" is oh so true. I've thought the very same thing. They certainly look like a size 3. I pick one up and I imagine a trim toned tall athletic person, tanned and gorgeous and put the item down, thinking it's out of my league.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #675
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I saw a woman in the Wally World with an outfit made of those very items, the 'little' ones. I was totally jealous until she turned around and I realized she wasn't a working-out, dedicated, 'my body is a temple' health fiend, she was a hillbilly crackhead.

But she looked GREAT from the back.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote