The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-28-2006, 01:05 AM   #16
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

No...I'm smoking the last ganja I ever actually bought (I've done some hits on other people's stuff since then, you know?), nine years ago. I'm cheap, and mostly sober on a day to day basis.

We just found this little bag while unpacking. I'd pretty much forgotten we had it at all. I have to admit it is coming in handy. I'd have gone for Camels by now, and probably end up in jail just trying to drive the two blocks to the C-store.

One of the reasons I'm not real good at this whole gettin' blasted to ignore reality thing is that I lack practice for the past eight years or so.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:15 AM   #17
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

ambivalent, schmambivalent, buddy.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:26 AM   #18
Elspode

You're awfully insightful for a car salesman, buddy. Oh. Now I get the whole thing.

No wonder you do well.

And I *am* ambivalent, man. At least, until the Mrs is sitting at home at 1:30 in the morning and I'm the one out going yeehaw.

I never said I was enlightened.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:18 AM   #19
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

This is a very depressing meaningless drunk thread.

I think our Aussie one was much more entertaining...at the time and in hindsight.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #20
Elspode

I didn't have as much participation...and I was experiencing a serious life issue. If I weren't so shameless, I wouldn't have shared.

FWIW, things were cool for her, and I seem to be okay in the light of dawn. I can't and won't wax philosophical about the big picture of Polyamory/Open Marriage/Whatever, but it is a functional and stimulating lifestyle - but it certainly isn't for everyone. In particular, it isn't advisable for primary couples who aren't actually very much in love with each other and who don't have a very stable relationship. Poly doesn't solve problems, and shouldn't be approached as such. It *can* be very difficult surmounting one's insecurities, and I certainly have a lot of those.

For us, I honestly think that it tends to make us more attentive and engaged spouses. Go figure...
Old 10-28-2006, 10:01 AM   #21
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Not to sound too trite, but everyone has to find there own way to happiness, or at least contentment (the dictionary and I disagree on whether these are the same).

Our current national move back towards conservatism seems to have resulted in an attempt to solve divorce by moving back to a strict definition of marriage, teaching abstinence only education, and outlawing abortion. I'm assuming the hope here is that this will cause a larger quantity of marriages due to horny virgins and unplanned pregnancies. I think examining and possibly expanding the 'meaning' of marriage is better for everyone, especially considering the rigidity, almost slavery, in some cultures definition of the term.

I don't want to give marriage advice, because I notice that all of the conservative pundits and other relationship counselors giving advice on marriage have been divorced at least once. This would not be a problem if the advice was along the line of "Don't do what I did and...", but they all seem to gloss over this fact.

I just hope that it works out for you. I always assumed that polyamorous meant a group marriage, or at least 'wife swapping' within a group. What you're describing sounds to me to be more of an 'open marriage' arrangement.

From a safety perspective, the former is better than the latter. In any case, I hope you both stay safe in every sense of the word and that you find what you are looking for.

Stay well.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:06 AM   #22
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
You're awfully insightful for a car salesman, buddy. Oh. Now I get the whole thing.

No wonder you do well.

And I *am* ambivalent, man. At least, until the Mrs is sitting at home at 1:30 in the morning and I'm the one out going yeehaw.

I never said I was enlightened.
Do you make no distinction between a car salesman and a finance manager, or do you just keep forgetting? ( i know I've told you what i do )
IIRC you are an office manager. This is like me calling you a secretary.

I understand what you mean, it just makes me wonder because you seem to have graduated from the Alan Alda school for sensitive men, and should know that the distinction is important to me. I sold cars for 2 of the 10 years i've been in the car business. the first two. For someone who plays the caring/sensitive card, it seems like you might actually be just a little bit self absorpbed.

How that for insight, ya stuttering prick, ya?
Old 10-28-2006, 01:00 PM   #23
Elspode

You and I seem to have the same "my jokes push your buttons" thing going from time to time. Yeah, I can be a little self absorbed, especially when my inhibitions are down. Otherwise, I work real hard to be humble and deferential the rest of the time. Anyway...sorry, I know you're a hard working SOB. You couldn't pay me enough to put in the hours you do. Further, I know that Finance Manager is an incredibly pressure-filled position. I couldn't do it. Too much of a pussy.

Now I'm gonna go cry...you beast.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #24
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Are you happy now, LJ? You made Elspode cry!
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:42 PM   #25
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

you didn;t get the Joe Pesci reference?
Old 10-28-2006, 01:48 PM   #26
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
you didn;t get the Joe Pesci reference?
No. I missed it. Where?
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #27
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

ya stuttering prick. its from goodfellas, when he's asking him if he's a clown. stands him all up, rattles him. it's what i was doing to spodie.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #28
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

'Splode , question you said your wife was going out with a friend , how does that work later ??? Uncomfortable silence ??
Or a big hand shake from him saying " Thanks Buddie , I was Needing THAT !!! "

No offence intended , just querious .
Old 10-28-2006, 09:44 PM   #29
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Din! Din! Din!
You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din!
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Old 10-28-2006, 10:35 PM   #30
bmwmcaw

Captain Morgan and coke.

Just came back from seeing The Departed.

Lost of killing and swearing. Story was ok but a little to twisted and a sad commentary on humans.