The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-09-2012, 05:11 AM   #2116
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
Because there have been rumors that she was already suffering from workplace discrimination, like MANY people of Indian and Pakistani descent working in Britain do. There isn't major anti-polish sentiment in Britain, and not nearly as much anti-chinese sentiment as anti-Indian, either. It was the ridicule and racism connected to her screw-up on the phone that pushed her over the edge, supposedly.
Not quite that simple. Different Indian and Asian communities are treated quite differently and face different levels of discrimination. There's a broad colour based discrimination which might hit anybody of Indian descent, but that kind of discrimination is as likely to hit someone of Chinese descent also. Of the various ethnic groups, people of Indian origin are second only to white british in terms of employment levels and economic status. The relationship between 'British' and Indian cultures and communities is a complex one.

Pakistanis almost universally face discrimination and outright hostility in mainstream culture. Anti-muslim violence generally, and anti-Pakistani and Kashmiri more specifically is rife. Much of what does exist of anti-Indian sentiment is actually a confusion of terms and a spill-over from this anti-muslim stance. Even the BNP draw a distinction between Indians (they claim to have a Sikh writer on their political newspaper, and they have definitely had Sikh members) and Pakistanis.

Poles on other hand are now facing rising levels of mistrust and racism because of the influx of new workers from the EU. Most of the 'they're taking our jobs' type muttering now is directed at Central and Eastern Europeans.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #2117
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

whatever she was ethnically, nationally, whatever---she felt bad about what had been done to her and it pushed her over the edge.

people are fragile (Fra-jill-eh; it's Italian) and some more so than others. We walk this earth and do not consider our brothers and sisters; I'm one of the worst offenders. We are all here together so why don't we try to have a cuddlefest (as bruce so nicely put it) instead of creating hatred and chaos (which certain energy fields really love and feed off of)? I'm really through with the negativity around here; I"ve contributed to it and I don't like who and what it makes me. If you want to call me Pollyanna-go right ahead. I'm going to feed the good wolf in me and try to starve the bad wolf so that i am a better human being. IF you want to call me a wuss or whatever-have at it. I don't care. I really am going to try to participate in positive threads about positive things and shoot you all later; let Goddess figure it all out (I kid) --- If refusing to argue/fight/flame makes me a pussy---good for me. I want GOOD things in my life. Some want chaos. Some want a bit of both. s'okay. It's YOUR path after all.

the tragedy this woman faced-the embarrassment, the self-loathing that comes from being a 'sucker'----for falling for it. I understand that pain. Those DJ's should be permanently banned from any radio/tv/video feed/youtube and sent to that big rock you all have over there to do some soul searching----a lost art IMHO.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #2118
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Ghost View Post
Why are news stories finding it important to specify that the nurse was from India?
The fact that she possibly killed herself over this would be diminished if she was from Poland or China?
The frist wave of stories I read only mentioned her name, no discussion of her roots.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #2119
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
The frist wave of stories I read only mentioned her name, no discussion of her roots.
The second or third story I saw about it mentioned her nationality.
I guess I was looking at it in terms of light green and dark green.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #2120
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Ghost View Post
The second or third story I saw about it mentioned her nationality.
I guess I was looking at it in terms of light green and dark green.
or brown as the case may be...
Old 12-10-2012, 02:21 AM   #2121
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Not quite that simple.
Never quite that simple, thanks for the detail!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #2122
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

OregonLive.com
Emily E. Smith
12/12/12

Cornelius woman ordered to leave cul-de-sac after years of neighbor disputes
Quote:
A lengthy neighbor clash in Cornelius punctuated by numerous calls to police, nearly a dozen court cases and one criminal conviction came to an abrupt halt this fall.

When Barbara Jeanne Wyatt, 62, told her neighbor, "Don't talk to me," that was the end. It was a violation of her no-contact order, a condition of her probation.

For that, Washington County Circuit Judge Don Letourneau ordered her to move out of her house, in the North Barlow Place cul-de-sac, where she's lived for 18 years.

The drama started, at least on paper, several years ago when Ed Legler put in a concrete parking spot for an RV on his property. Wyatt said the project created water runoff that damaged her house. Legler refused to help pay for repairs, and conflict spun from there.

<snip>
The rest of the story is too involved for TheCellar,
but I think it is an new extreme in court judgements.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #2123
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

My neighbor ('crazypants') and I have a relationship similar to that.

We've both been trespassed from the other's property. Officially. With police records and everything. She's the woman who had a video camera pointed at my house lo those many years ago. She's batshit insane but it's okay. She's gonna lose her house. She bought it free and clear but mortgaged it to sue her brother (who she wants a DNA test to prove he really ISN'T her brother) for 250,000 inheritance. She's spent 100,000 dollars fighting over 250,000 dollars. Oh, and she's suing her own lawyer, too.

She's a real peach, that crazypants bitch. AND she's in her late sixties. and yes, she does have 11 cats----at least.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Last edited by Trilby; 12-12-2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: crazy computer stuff
Old 12-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #2124
Griff
still says videotape

I remember her, she's the Almond Joy of neighbors.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #2125
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I remember her, she's the Almond Joy of neighbors.
You know, I have been calling her crazypants but I like Almond Joy much much better. It's more....respectful somehow.

thanks!

—James Barrie

Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #2126
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Yes there is a delicious irony in Almond Joy.

Rather like a wedding called on account of rain.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #2127
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

yes, and when questioned, you can say it's because she's so sweet. when she objects, you can say you didn't think she'd rather be known for her Mounds.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #2128
Griff
still says videotape

My pleasure!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #2129
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

12-12-12 is a "holy day" so this guy carved a pentagram in his 6-year-old son's back.

Quote:
A Richland Hills man allegedly carved a pentagram into his 6-year-old son’s back with a box cutter before smearing blood around the doorway to his home early Wednesday morning.

Brent Troy Bartel, 39, called 911 to report the incident and matter-of-factly told the dispatcher that he’d “shed some innocent blood” because “it’s a holy day.” Police arrested Bartel on a charge of aggravated assault on a family member with a deadly weapon. He was being held at Quad-Cities Jail in North Richland Hills in lieu of $500,000 bail.

“There have been very few things in my career that would render me speechless. This was one of them,” said Sgt. Nathan Stringer, a Richland Hills police spokesman. “I don’t know what would possess somebody to hold down a 6-year-old and carve something into him.”
Old 12-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #2130
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

W. T. F.???

Insane? Criminal? Criminally insane?

Poor kid.