The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-31-2008, 10:43 PM   #2281
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

I'll admit it, kids and people do get hurt by untrained/unsafe dogs allowed to wander, but I don't think a dog that would unprovoked attack a person should be allowed to live. Cats don't have anymore right to wander than dogs though I don't believe. Don't fool yourself into thinking a cat is less dangerous because of its size, the injuries I got from being attacked by a 10lb cat were a lot more extensive than when I got bit by an 80lb dog. The dog stopped when it was yelled at, hasn't done it again (he mistook me for danger because I was on a bike in his territory), the cat wouldn't quit and couldn't be caught. I say keep your cats inside if they seem happy with it. If you're comfortable with letting it wander around, do so, but don't get pissed at my dog if he catches it. I'm not trying to be a bitch, if I'm around I'll save your cat, but I'll assume its a stray to the pound it will go. If you do the same to my dog, well fair play I guess.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:46 PM   #2282
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Cat, dog or kid, if it attacks me, one of us will be dead.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:53 PM   #2283
morethanpretty

Sorry about the wonderful looking building CZ, but the fire was pretty. Hopefully something better or equal will take its place and ya'll will pull through this year just fine. If it makes you feel better about your weather, its been 100+ and humid a few times these past few weeks here.

Glad you found your cat SG.

I'm upset just because my mind won't quit worrying. Of course it would stop if someone would just text me back....
Old 07-31-2008, 10:56 PM   #2284
morethanpretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Cat, dog or kid, if it attacks me, one of us will be dead.
Well in this case the dog was doing its job.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:42 AM   #2285
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post

I'm upset just because my mind won't quit worrying. Of course it would stop if someone would just text me back....
I'm sure if you post your number here, someone will text you.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #2286
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzinZumerzet View Post

The long arm of the pier was anyway a problem because we have the 2nd highest tidal rise and fall in the world, and when the tide goes out it's gone for miles and miles, so the pier was pretty useless to ships getting caught as the tide left them on the mudflats.
I guess a new pier would be a lot more attractive than a tidal power plant...
Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #2287
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I was bringing a basket of laundry into our bedroom.

Mrs. Dallas' nightstand is right next to the door. It has a jewelry box on top of it. Nothing fancy, but I gave it to her last Christmas so she'd have a place to stash earrings for her newly pierced ears.

I managed to knock the jewelry box off onto the floor. As if that weren't bad enough, I stumbled forward and regained my balance by planting my foot . . . . right into the jewelry box. :crunch:
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #2288
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Ow, you crushed the family jewels!

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #2289
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Right. Bedtime.

Have been up waiting to see if the burgalar alarm would go off again.
As it was doing from about 23.00 onwards.

After much distress and hair pulling I finally got an engineer on the phone who gave me some useful advice. Which was very good of him as it wasn't his alarm and he wouldn't have got a penny for the call. Previous calls to the police, the council, the electricity board and the alarm manufacturers were less fruitful. As were the calls to HM, away at a festival.

Not sure how he'll feel when he sees the mess I made of the alarm panel. But the outside alarm only stopped about 30 minutes ago, and given that our neighbours have a toddler and a child on the way (not to mention the rest of the street - oh, and me!) I figure he can deal with it when he gets back. Also, the reason he couldn't help is that he has forgotten the code - it's been so long since he used it. Which to me suggests he won't be too miffed.

Why Sunday? Why always Sunday?
I was so looking forward to a quiet night. For once since I started work.
No HM inviting people round to play guitar until gone 03.00.
No HM coming home pissed and deciding to climb through the skylight into my room rather than knock on the front door having forgotten his keys (last week).
Monday is my only 12 hour working day in the week. Why always Sunday?

Sleep. Sleep now. Night night.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #2290
Tink
Why oh why?

Someone sending me a report that they didn't check. The spreadsheet had about 75% of the data doubled out. Faster for me to edit than send it back and wait for a response.
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #2291
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Monday I'm supposed to be picking classes at late registration, and I'm also supposed to pay for the semester. Silly me thinking that the "SUPER EASY ONLINE" application for student loans would be simple, and I'd have money for school. Silly me thinking that maybe when you call your bank they'd have someone available for you to talk to. Silly me thinking that when you called the number the bank gave you, someone would be there to tell you why you were denied. Silly me thinking that the next phone number wouldn't lead to a recording with no real people AT ALL for a free credit check. My letter will arrive in 7-10 days telling me why I can't get any aid. With a co-signer. For school.

Silly me.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:14 AM   #2292
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Razz, are you looking at Stafford loans? You don't need a co-signer, there's no credit check, and the rate is fixed by the feds. Alternative, or private, loans are another animal altogether. Also, a student who gets no "free" grant money will have eligiblity for federal Stafford loans because eligibility is based on Cost of Attendance versus aid received. You should have no problem getting a stafford loan, and most schools have a listing of lenders who they have worked with in the past; many students don't use their local bank. Of course, you can use whatever lender you choose, you would just give the lender code to the FA department.

Since every school does things a little differently you should go online to your school or contact their FA department to see what their steps are. Stafford loans are based on the FAFSA, so you would have to complete that process, but it's a better deal and you should exhaust that possibilty first due to the many benefits of the program (one of them being the deferrment while you are attending school, and the 6 month grace period once you finish or cease attending.)

I should add that it can be a lengthy process, especially if you have not begun the FAFSA process; many schools offer a payment plan and if you are eligible you will basically be reimbursing yourself at a later date. This is high processing time, so it can take some time...but I believe it to be worth it.

PM me if I can help in any way.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:15 AM   #2293
Griff
still says videotape

There is expertise in the Cellar.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #2294
Tink
Why oh why?

Go to the financial aid office and ask for help. I have found them to be extremely helpful making sure that all things are "checked off the list". If you haven't done the FAFSA, do it right away.
http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Also go to the school website for financial aid options. There should be a link to the Stafford Loan which is pretty easy to apply for. I've done this for both kids and it is pretty painless. They'll just ask you to sign a letter accepting the funds. Once this is done, you'll pretty much get it throughout your school terms.
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #2295
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Well, as I said, every school is different, but the FAFSA is an annual process. Also, not all schools pre-package. You may need to specifically request a loan throught a request form, rather than relying on saying "yes" to loans on the FAFSA, same for federal work-study. The reason for this is some schools, such as us, are firm believers in default management, and we have felt that the student needs to know what they are getting into (i.e. REAL debt) as opposed to them seeing a pretty number on a page and thinking "sweet! I'll take it!"

As Tink said, contact your FA office for specifics on their processes, and PM me if you have related questions.

Tags
swiss