The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 06-19-2003, 12:33 AM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Billboard

This is an image that I was directed to by some online acquaintances. My sentiments exactly.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 12:39 AM   #2
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

My thoughts are: Eat what you like, just don't get pissed off when a mountain lion mauls you, a wolf kills your cattle, a gator eats your dog, or a elephant tramples you at the local zoo.

But let's face it, if it kills a human it's bad and must be immediately hunted down and killed. If we kill it, that's because "we're at the top of the food chain". Is there a 'two faced' icon/smilies I can use here?

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 04:50 PM   #3
Leus
Abecedarian

Hmmm... beef.
Leus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 05:06 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mmmmm...meat.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:00 PM   #5
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah
But let's face it, if it kills a human it's bad and must be immediately hunted down and killed. If we kill it, that's because "we're at the top of the food chain".
Although these statements are true, something tells me you were being sarcastic.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:12 AM   #6
quzah

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobiasly

Although these statements are true, something tells me you were being sarcastic.
Truth is subjective. It's like beauty, all in the eye of the beholder.

Quzah.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:41 AM   #7
russotto
Professor

Quote:

Truth is subjective. It's like beauty, all in the eye of the beholder.

Quzah.
If you truly hold this position, you can hold no other.

There is an objective truth. It is approximable (if not discoverable) by human beings.

(beauty ain't totally subjective either..)
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 10:42 AM   #8
warch
lurkin old school

Love animals. They're delicious.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 02:44 PM   #9
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Ob/Sub Jective

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
There is an objective truth. It is approximable (if not discoverable) by human beings.
About everything? I've discussed this with my brother, a philosophy/math history double major, who holds a similar opinion. Do you think there is an objective truth about everything? Even beauty? Is there a "most beautiful" person on Earth, but the people who aren't impressed with that person's looks are fundamentally wrong?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 03:19 PM   #10
Bitmap
Look who thinks he's clever Dan.

i have a bumper sticker on my college size fridge that says
"Save a tree,
kill a bever."

Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 04:13 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mine said, "SAVE A TREE....eat a beaver".
Old 06-21-2003, 12:48 AM   #12
quzah

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
If you truly hold this position, you can hold no other.

So everything you're told is true, you accept?

Everything you believe to be true, you're sure is? The 'truth' we're told is that there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. That's the truth, and they're sticking to it. However, there really is no evidence of any such. As a matter of fact, the report that supposedly lead us into battle has since been dubbed 'inaccurate'.

Ok, so the 'truth' at the time, was that there was information of WoM in Iraq. We made them a state so that we could get their oil, I mean, we invaded them to liberate them from their evil leaders, because they had these dangerous WoM.

So the 'truth' at the time was one thing, but in reality, it wasn't true at all. However, many many people accepted this 'reality' as truth.

Perhaps I should have used a better word. Something like "Truth is whatever people can convince you of." Would that be better?

You see, like I said, truth, like beauty, is in fact in the eye of the beholder.

Furthermore, what I find to be beautiful, you may find revolting, and vice versa. Or perhaps not revolting, but maybe it doesn't quite "stir the soul", [dusty rhodes]if you weel[/dusty rhodes].

Beauty, like truth, is what ever people think it is. This is generally based on society as a whole. For example, people liked "heavier" women in the past, just look at examples of art. Now, popular culture seems to fancy women who are thin as a rail with huge plastic breasts. To each his own I say. But I'll stand by the statement: Truth, like beauty, is subjective.

Quzah.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:07 AM   #13
dave

I have ten fingers. This is true.

Mind explaining to me how this is up for debate?
Old 06-21-2003, 01:03 PM   #14
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Everything you believe to be true, you're sure is? The 'truth' we're told is that there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. That's the truth, and they're sticking to it. However, there really is no evidence of any such. As a matter of fact, the report that supposedly lead us into battle has since been dubbed 'inaccurate'.

So the 'truth' at the time was one thing, but in reality, it wasn't true at all. However, many many people accepted this 'reality' as truth.
Truth and what we believe to be true (or what we're told is true) can be two completely different things. There is one objective truth about the weapons in Iraq before the war. That is indisputable. Whether we ever know that truth remains to be seen, but that doesn't mean that truth doesn't exist.

Quote:
Perhaps I should have used a better word. Something like "Truth is whatever people can convince you of." Would that be better?

No, that is still an incorrect statement. As Mulder said, "the truth is out there." If people convince you that 2 + 2 = 5, that doesn't make it true, it just makes you wrong. There is only one truth.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 01:26 PM   #15
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I think I understand what Quzah is trying to say.

There is certainly undisputable truth out there. Unfortunately people are not always completely truthful via the use of half-truths. At the same time, our interpretations of the truth may differ. I may interpret an undisputable fact as one thing, while Quzah sees it differently.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote