The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-27-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

50's Vintage

The lumber fairy left a gift in my front yard so I thought I'd show the Dwellars how hillbillies deal with such things. This is my Grandfather's 1951 Ford 8N attached to a Dearborn buzz saw of similar vintage operated by a 1950's era Marine. As you can see all the original saftey devices have been left in place. When I was a kid the old guys used to try to out work us. The saw would really be whining so wood could just be jammed into the blade. It was stupid and we got a metric ass-load of work done. Dad and I take it a little easier.

We had an intense storm earlier which knocked out our sat link so I'm hoping I'm not double posting. Lil Pete took another video which showed the blade better but it didn't upload properly. I'll effort that later.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

all fixey

Old 06-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh man, does that bring back memories... but no earmuffs.

OSHA has just subpoenaed youtube for your ID.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:49 AM   #4
glatt

I really enjoyed that. Thanks, Griff.

So are you making kindling? I like the rocking table. In the first video I was wondering how you fed wood into the thing,but the second video answered that question.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Oh man, does that bring back memories... but no earmuffs.

OSHA has just subpoenaed youtube for your ID.
Yeah, ear protection is a late development. There was nothing like the high rpm scream when we did hardwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I really enjoyed that. Thanks, Griff.

So are you making kindling? I like the rocking table. In the first video I was wondering how you fed wood into the thing,but the second video answered that question.
Yeah that is kindling. It is mostly hemlock, my cousin just did a big job for a local timber framer. That saw was state of the art, the table really works nicely. I can't imagine anybody trying to sell such a useful dangerous thing today.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Would I watch a clip of men sawing wood with a 50s vintage tractor/ saw if it wasn't a Dwellar? No.

Was it fascinating and am I glad I did? Yes.

I love to know that simple tools/ machinery are still in use by people who know what they are doing and don't feel the advertisers' pressure to upgrade just for the sake of it. We have some old and potentially dangerous things here at work (shhhhhh) that work very well and are used by people with common sense and experience. No 50s tractors though I must admit.

Thank you for another insight into a world I don't know.
Beautiful setting too.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:35 AM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Would I watch a clip of men sawing wood with a 50s vintage tractor/ saw if it wasn't a Dwellar? No.

Was it fascinating and am I glad I did? Yes.
I think places like the Cellar have a ton of potential for showing how people actually live rather than how Hollywood perceives lives. I come here for the broader perspective and really appreciate it when others share. Your video walking home is one that I really liked. Anyway, I realized that most dwellars are far removed from or even nostalgic for country life so I thought this was a good bit.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's a lot easier being nostalgic while watching that country life on youtube, with my fat ass parked in a comfy chair.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I know the guys down the road have and use that kind of technology ...
I get my kindlers by picking up the sticks from the sycamore ( ) and ash in my front garden. I'm about to buy a year's licence to collect firewood from the forestry here, and to buy a domestic chainsaw (the sort you don't need a licence to use). I've got an axe and woodblock, and a bushman saw. Am wondering about making a sawhorse ... Anything to reduce using electricity for heating this winter ....

Edited to add "lumber fairy" ... snigger!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:51 PM   #10
Tulip
Professor

cool video, griff! thanks for sharing. is that you in the green shirt by any chance? and your dad was handling wood without any gloves! eek! i hope he didn't get any splinters.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:33 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Yeah, it is weird to see myself on film... I used to be really wirey with a reasonable mass of hair. Despite having his body wrecked in an car accident, Dads hands are still tougher than cowhide so no gloves necessary.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wouldn't wear gloves anywhere near that saw. Get too close, and you lose a finger or part of your hand. Wearing gloves you lose your arm or worse.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #13
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I think places like the Cellar have a ton of potential for showing how people actually live rather than how Hollywood perceives lives. I come here for the broader perspective and really appreciate it when others share. Your video walking home is one that I really liked. Anyway, I realized that most dwellars are far removed from or even nostalgic for country life so I thought this was a good bit.
Great vid, Griff. I lust for such a nifty tool out here in my neck of the woods.

Some day I'm going to have the neighbors video me with my scythe*, as I whack down the ever-advancing brush along my gravel road, so ya'll can see how much fun us country folk really have.

* Couple years back, I saw a Craigslist ad announcing a cleaning out of an old farmhouse/barn - apparently grammy and grampy had finally passed on and the kids weren't interested in cleaning out 60 years of OLD stuff. All free - first come first served. Man did I score. Came home with several old scythes, trowels and shovels, antique shoe-making tools and lasts, metal buckets and standing sinks/tubs, several handmade tool boxes filled with square-head nails, hasps, and etc., six or eight bitchen antique oil cans, a motorized wring washer from the '20s, a treadle sewing machine, and so much more. Awesome!
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #14
monster
I hear them call the tide

I just loved listening to it. Almost as good as a thunderstorm.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #15
lookout123
changed his status to single

very cool griff. i may have watched too many mob movies in the past. i caught myself thinking Joe Pesci would have liked that to take care of bodies with.