The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 12-19-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Five Brides for Five Strangers

From Reason here.

Almost 10 years ago, Amna Niazi, now 22, was married to a man she has never met. A village council in Pakistan ordered her and four other girls, all cousins, to be married to males from another family after the father of one of the girls killed another man. Now, their husbands want their brides to come live with them. The girls have refused, and the same village council has ordered that they should be abducted and raped or killed for refusing to go. And it has pronounced a death sentence on their fathers for refusing to turn them over. The Pakistani legislature has banned so-called honor marriages, but the law is widely ignored by local village councils.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:10 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well, it's not like they were something valuable like goats.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:33 PM   #3
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
...The girls have refused, and the same village council has ordered that they should be abducted and raped or killed for refusing to go.
Just thought I'd take this opportunity to remind the good citizens of Earth that these people are armed with large, powerful, nuclear BOMBS.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:08 AM   #4
ArcReforged
Insert Random Title Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
Just thought I'd take this opportunity to remind the good citizens of Earth that these people are armed with large, powerful, nuclear BOMBS.
Ditto.
ArcReforged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:49 AM   #5
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Dare we hope that these people are so fucking backward that they might perhaps blow themselves up accidentally?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:01 AM   #6
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

That's what hope is for, the long odds.

[Edit] ...the long odds with the really good payoff.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Well, it's not like they were something valuable like goats.
The girls' father was actually quoted as saying, "My daughters are not goats that I would give them away to a pack of illiterate fools." Apparently, the daughters are highly educated and even attending university while their "husbands " can't read or write.

Which brings me to my next thought. Its not the villagers in the primitive backwaters of the country where this judgement has been handed down that have the bombs. Its the forward thinking people up in the big cities who have them. If the villagers had the bombs with a mindset like that, they'd have all used them all on each other by now. Where's natural selection when you really need it?
Old 01-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #8
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
If the villagers had the bombs with a mindset like that, they'd have all used them all on each other by now.
This insanity brought to you by ISLAM, the sponsor of fine Honor Killings everywhere. I'm sorry, but a religion that treats women like this is beneath contempt.
Jordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:40 PM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

The practice of vani is a tribal tradition, not strictly an Islamic one:

From here

[The father] added that his family had already paid blood-money to the aggrieved party. 'I have refused to give into the council's request as it is un-Islamic. I cannot hand over my girls like goats to marry these illiterate boys,' he said.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I guess that humanity is not a part of modern Islam. These enlightened and peaceful people need to join the modern world, and start treating women like the wonderful and enchanting beings that they are.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote