The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #151
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippikos
Didn't Lott impersonate himself on the internet as this "Mary Rosh" female person to praise his own work? Can we take this guy serious?
I've had lunch with him. I take him seriously.

You on the other hand...well... Not to worry, your government isn't about to let you have a weapon, so it's a non-issue for you.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:36 PM   #152
MaggieL

Quote:
Lott finds, for example...that reducing the number of black women 40 years old or older (who are rarely either perpetrators or victims of murder) substantially reduces murder rates.
"Reducing" them how? Citation, please?

I suspect that high rates of crimes around black women 40 or older would have to do with the presence of black men 20 and younger.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:49 PM   #153
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL

You on the other hand...well... Not to worry, your government isn't about to let you have a weapon, so it's a non-issue for you.
My friend Bob said that Making sure there are NO guns in the entire world would reduce the number of murders by guns. I've had lunch with him. I take him seriously.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #154
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Where did you have lunch: where the elite meet to eat?
Old 10-09-2006, 04:01 PM   #155
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
I've had lunch with him too. I don't know whether it was his bulging biceps, or his steely gaze, which seemed to pierce my very soul. All I know for sure is that, at that moment, John Lott could have told me anything, anything at all, at all and I would have believed him.

God help me, that man is impossible not to believe... . . . when you have lunch with him.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #156
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
My friend Bob said that Making sure there are NO guns in the entire world would reduce the number of murders by guns. I've had lunch with him. I take him seriously.
Making sure there are no guns in the entire would would require godlike powers. (Making sure that only criminals have them only requires passing an idiotic law, of course).

Is your friend a deity? Does he talk to you when others are around, or only when you're alone?

Old 10-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #157
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

Quote:

You take a researcher who anonymously praises his own work serious? Or are you just a gullable person and eat his words without any criticism?

Quote:
"Reducing" them how? Citation, please?
Ask your lunch partner Lott, it was his resarch. The New England Journal of Medicine reviewed his book and found this strange result.

Lott's junk science proofs that legalizing abortion increased murder rates by around about 0.5 to 7 percent and the murder rate would have increased by 250% since 1974 if the United States had not built so many new prisons.

Next time you have lunch with him, ask Mr.Lott why he had no variation in his key causal variable – "shall issue" laws – in the places where most murders occurred. America's counties vary tremendously in size and social characteristics. A few large ones, containing major cities, account for a very large percentage of the murders in the United States. As it happens, none of these very large counties have "shall issue" gun control laws.

Last edited by Hippikos; 10-09-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Hippikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #158
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
Where did you have lunch: where the elite meet to eat?
The Delaware Valley Pink Pistols meets once a month for lunch; he accepted our invitation to join us a while back.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #159
MaggieL

Quote:
Ask your lunch partner Lott, it was his resarch. The New England Journal of Medicine reviewed his book and found this strange result.
So you don't have a citation. Makes the claim difficult to refute.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #160
Spexxvet

Quote:
Making sure there are no guns in the entire would would require godlike powers. (Making sure that only criminals have them only requires passing an idiotic law, of course).
I'll accept that as agreement. It's probably the closest thing I'll ever get to agreement, anyway...
Quote:
Is your friend a deity? Does he talk to you when others are around, or only when you're alone?
You better watch what you say, Bob is standing right next to you. And that's his name, not what he does.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #161
Spexxvet

Quote:
The Delaware Valley Pink Pistols meets once a month for lunch; he accepted our invitation to join us a while back.
Uh, ahem... she was talking to me.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:21 PM   #162
MaggieL

Quote:
A few large ones, containing major cities, account for a very large percentage of the murders in the United States. As it happens, none of these very large counties have "shall issue" gun control laws.
Not true. Philadelphia County is a case in point...despite the lobbying of the mayor, the state shall-issue law preempts any county statute.

When "shall-issue" laws are passed, they are usually accompanied or preceded by state-level preemption statutes, otherwise the largely Democratically-controlled urban areas would pass their own local law requireing citizens disarm themselves when entering.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #163
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
I'll accept that as agreement. It's probably the closest thing I'll ever get to agreement, anyway...
If there were in fact no ${x}, there could be no deaths caused by ${x}. But for ${x}=firearms, such a state is neither possible nor desirable.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:28 PM   #164
warch
lurkin old school

So...you bought lunch. ; )
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:42 PM   #165
Spexxvet

Quote:
If there were in fact no ${x}, there could be no deaths caused by ${x}. But for ${x}=firearms, such a state is neither possible nor desirable.
Thank you for the concession and agreement.