The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-26-2008, 06:40 AM   #16
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Forgive me if this is out of turn Ali, but I think you were over harsh in your initial reaction. A flippant comment is not the worst sin in the world and hardly unusual/out of place in a Cellar thread, even a pretty serious one. It was a witty aside that made a comment about racism in schools. Not an attack on you or an attempt to reduce the situation itself.

For myself I had an interesting situation when me and J were together. His dad is adorable. I love his dad. A thoroughly nice, gentle, clever, funny and affectionate guy. His step-mum is also lovely. She can be a tad prickly from time to time when stressed and is.....in her own way mad as a hatter (to look at, think someone from 1920s Berlin crossed with a little 60s Carnaby class) but very sweet and generous and never shirked from the difficulties of bringing up a deeply troubled 11 year old step-son. I got on well (and still do on the occasional visit) with them. His actual mother, however, was another matter.

How many people here have had the fun experience of going to work for their partner's estranged (but recently back in contact) mother, only to have her burn down her own business and try to fit them up for it? How many people here have been arrested at 6am on a Sunday morning, stuck in a cell without any shoelaces or belt, held for several hours of heavy questioning until they start to believe maybe they did drop a lit cig into a basket? How many people here have sat in such a cell, wondering if they might actually go down for a ten year stretch for an arson they were fairly sure was nothing to do with them? Now, that, my friends is a mad MIL (only an honorary MIL, as me and J never made it official).

Fortunately, it turned out she had form on the whole arson thing, so that was that. I was 20 at the time. Scared the shit out of me.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:54 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Don't have one right now THANK GOD! The first one was a psycho. The "hopefully" next one seems wonderful - - - so far.
Next one!?!? What, did you go to public school?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:59 AM   #18
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

lol - yes I did xoB. I surtinly dun did.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #19
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Forgive me if this is out of turn Ali, but I think you were over harsh in your initial reaction. A flippant comment is not the worst sin in the world and hardly unusual/out of place in a Cellar thread, even a pretty serious one. It was a witty aside that made a comment about racism in schools. Not an attack on you or an attempt to reduce the situation itself.
Check the other threads he posted in at around the same time yesterday Dana. This wasn't the only thread, and definitely not where it started.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #20
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Yes it is. And thanks Dana, that's why you are on my christmas card list.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #21
Aliantha

OK, so you carried the tripe to two threads then regardless of where it started. If you start something, why should you expect to come off looking holier than thou? You weren't funny. You were being a shit IMO and that's why I said what I did.

If others find your comments amusing, good for them. I did not.

eta: and to clarify, it started when I responded to your post number 28 in the Chinese market stall thread.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:27 PM   #22
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Hang on. Are you saying that footfootfoot is really squirell nutkin? Or is squirell nutkin really footfootfoot?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #23
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yes. It was an alter-ego openly created a long time ago for drunk-posting purposes, but it has been awhile since he used it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #24
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Squirell nutkin is my churlish, and apparently unfunny, sock puppet. See his first thread.

I am not the first one to be the brunt of Ali's humor impairment/paranoic/grandiosity attacks nor will I, or Mr. Nutkin, be the last.

I am amused at how seriously she takes everything.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #25
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Clodfobble, again is more concise and informative than I. I envy her ability to coherently put together thoughts and convey them in a readable manner.

When that sound thing is no longer fulfilling , you should take up writing; you'd kill like a champion.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #26
DanaC

I must admit, Ali, to being a tad confused as to why you think he was being a shit with the public school comments. I fully accept you have a reason, but I just can't see it. He seemed, to me, to be making a satirical comment on the state of public schooling currently. I may be wrong, of course, but there didn't appear to be a personal attack in the initial comments at all.

Whatever, you are just as entitled as anyone else to take offence at something another dwellar posts and for your own reasons. Just puzzles me is all.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #27
Aliantha

Just forget it Dana. It's not worth carrying on with. You thought it was witty. I did not. That's the end of it.

It's not even worth discussing.

For the record, I have never seen humour in people taking the piss out of others. It's why I don't like shows like 'The Chaser' over here. In this place it's given me the spurious title of someone who is 'humour impaired' etc. Who cares? Not everyone gets along, nor will they ever. I'm just as happy to be different as the same, and I don't really care if people like me or not because I do or don't find something funny. I find humour in different things than the mainstream posters here I guess. It's no big deal. I'm pretty sure someone else will be accusing me of being anti-american again soon. Whatever. Who cares? Same place same shit. Nothing ever changes.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #28
DanaC

Quote:
For the record, I have never seen humour in people taking the piss out of others.
depends on the protagonists and the situation. Humour is entirely contextual. My point was, and I'll drop it after this comment: he didn't appear to be taking the piss out of anyone by commenting on public schools being breeding grounds of racism.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #29
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Same place same shit. Nothing ever changes.
The only thing that can ever change is your own self (and I don't mean just you, Ali) it's the only thing anyone can ever change and it's damn hard work.

I just get the impression that you are a bit unhappy and that's perfectly within the realm of usual human conditions. I wish you well and I wish you peace but mostly I wish you some serenity and happiness.

Now, if you feel I've stepped out of bounds by "making it seem you are this or that" you'd be wrong. I am only posting from my experiences with some of your posts. If you ARE happy and I am wrong, I apologize. But my wishes for you remain the same.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #30
Aliantha

Thanks for your thought Bri, but I'm perfectly happy with my life. It's pretty good actually. I've been lucky.

Unfortunately mud sticks, and a few things I said in my early days here don't seem to come off regardless of what I say or do.

People said I shouldn't have an opinion on US politics so I've basically stopped commenting (more or less) in politics or current events.

People say I have no sense of humour, but maybe I just don't put enough smiley faces in my posts.

People say I'm anti american, but I can tell you that's a lie whether you believe it or not.

The problem with this place is, people like to pidgeonhole people because it makes them feel something. Maybe safe. I don't really know. Of course, it doesn't just happen here. It happens on most internet forums because once you say something, it's there for good and those who decide they've an axe to grind will never forget it.

I haven't posted on here too much over the last 6 or 8 months up till the last few weeks or so because I was just tired of it, and then the first time I have a slight issue with something someone else has posted it becomes a big deal. It's not necessary and it doesn't say anything about me or my well being. Basically I'm tired and grumpy most days lately, but that doesn't mean I'm not basically a happy person. I have the same amount of sadness as everyone else more or less. There have been bad things in my life, but everyone has bad stuff happen from time to time. Maybe I do harbour some anger at some people here after sharing a couple of bad things that've happened to me and then had people basically tell me to get over it. I didn't see anyone telling you to 'just get over' your cancer. I don't mean to personalize this post in a bad way, but it's true. Some people get support from this site, and others don't so much.

Bri, I know we've had words in the past and regardless of who was right or wrong, or even if we both were, it's in the past and I don't hold any grudge against you. I honestly don't, and I'm very happy you're doing well. You have the right to comment on anything i post just as everyone else does, but really to be honest with you, this whole discussion is upsetting me. I don't think I deserve it. I really think foot3 knew what he was doing when he made very similar comments in threads I was posting in and he did it to stir me up. I foolishly responded and I just don't think it's fair that I should be the one to look like I'm being unreasonable.

Anyway, that's it for me. Once again, thanks for your thoughts, yours too Dana; and foot3, I'm not angry at you either. If it makes you all feel better, I'll just accept that I should have just ignored you or laughed at you. Unfortunately for all of us I do have an issue with the whole public versus private school debate and I take it very seriously because it affects so many kids who really aren't responsible for their parents decisions.