The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Slow Cooker Experiment

Well....okay, experiment sounds way more exciting than this thread actually is, so please forgive me dragging you in here under false pretances *grins*

I just acquired my first electric slow cooker. Never used one before. I do like throwing bunches of different stuff into a big pan and cooking for a few hours with constant stirring and adjusting of water and adding more stuff and generaly faffing about.

This is my first attempt at using it and I have, straight away, abandoned this whole 'cut away all the fat from the meat and use only the leanest cuts' healthy nonsense. The fat's where the flavour is damnit!...bones if you can get 'em.

So. Pork chops (with some of the fat removed, cut into cubes, quick fried to seal em. Then sliced onion dropped into the fry pan with them, along with three cloves of garlic, peeled but uncut. Once onions caramelised and garlic partially smoked from sitting on top, time to go into the crockpot. First into the pot some sliced carrots, and cubed potatoes, then the onions and garlic, then the pork. Little salt, pepper and a sprinkling of chilli flakes along with some dried sage and parsley. Boiling water on top of that. On full for half an hour just to get it bubbling then diwn to slow for about four and a half hours. After that I added some tinned beans (without sauce) and some defrosted frozen cauli and broccoli. Also added a vegetable stock cube and a dash more herbs. Leaving it now for another couple of hours on slow.

I'll let ya know how it turns out
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipes