The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #6121
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

My Mum bought me an online voucher for some Pieminister pies.
That's not irritating, that's lovely.

But the original plan was that the one person I know in Otley was to staore them in his freezer and I would have them at his house, with him doing the cooking and providing the rest of the meal.
Which seemed like a good deal.

However in the last few months I've eaten at his house.
Just reheated food, but it's not been hot - it's been lukewarm.
I can't eat lukewarm food. Call me Ms Picky but it turns my stomach. I can't even send it back to be reheated (privately or in a restaurant) as it is completely spoiled for me.

Also, he snorts and grunts like a warthog when eating, which disgusts me.

Now I don't know what to do with my £21 voucher. Sob.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:36 AM   #6122
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Can you not buy them one at a time and eat immediately upon arrival?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #6123
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

No, sadly. They only deliver in multiples of six.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #6124
glatt

My hand hurts.

I cut the shit out of it.

I was alone in an almost empty workroom, and I was scooting my chair around back and forth as I did stuff (indexed files) on opposite sides of the room.

I pushed off backwards with a huge push and a wheel of my chair hit a recessed outlet in the floor. It stopped rolling and I went over backwards. Time slowed down and I remember being annoyed at this object that got in my way, then being amazed at how my inertia was lifting me out of my chair, then thinking "this is probably going to hurt."

It did hurt. I hit my head on the floor, but the real pain came from my hand. I looked down and saw a one inch binder clip in my palm with blood oozing all around it.

I gingerly removed the binder clip as blood made its way down each of my fingers and dripped onto the carpet. Then I folded the loose flap of skin back down to where it belonged and applied a lot of pressure. I tried to keep the blood from getting everywhere as I walked over to the first aid kit which was only ten feet away and then I stood there waiting for the bleeding to slow down before grabbing bandaging. Opened the packaging with my teeth and wrapped my hand up. I was all proud of myself until I saw the blood oozing through a second or two later, so I went into the pantry to get another first aid kit. Wrapped another one around, and it was all good. got a wet paper towel and cleaned the rest of my hand off. And then left work to take a cab to urgent care.

Urgent care was great. They cleaned it well. Gave me numbing shots, and stitched me up. 7 stitches.

I'd never had stitches before. Now I have. I would have preferred not reaching this milestone.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:06 PM   #6125
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Ouch, that sucks. For some reason we don't want to let go of whatever's in our hand when god trips us. Usually we'd be better off if we did, like not dragging a loved one under the train with us, but there's no time to think.
Are they self-dissolving, or the mo money type stiches? Either way, keep it warm and moist.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #6126
Clodfobble

Wow, 7 stitches gives me a fair idea of the size of the cut. Pretty impressive! Right or left hand?
Old 12-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #6127
Clodfobble

Ah, left I see, from the Bruises thread. Still, it's going to make using that hand hard for awhile. Good job remembering to take a picture for us before it was sewn up.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #6128
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
My Mum bought me an online voucher for some Pieminister pies.
That's not irritating, that's lovely.

But the original plan was that the one person I know in Otley was to staore them in his freezer and I would have them at his house, with him doing the cooking and providing the rest of the meal.
Which seemed like a good deal.

However in the last few months I've eaten at his house.
Just reheated food, but it's not been hot - it's been lukewarm.
I can't eat lukewarm food. Call me Ms Picky but it turns my stomach. I can't even send it back to be reheated (privately or in a restaurant) as it is completely spoiled for me.

Also, he snorts and grunts like a warthog when eating, which disgusts me.

Now I don't know what to do with my £21 voucher. Sob.
Can't you insist on heating them yourself as it's your "treat", then leave the rest of the food because you're too full of pie?

Other than that, why no go to a local shelter or old folks home and share with them. yes, you won't get to eat all six, but better than nothing?
Old 12-14-2015, 08:57 PM   #6129
monster
I hear them call the tide

Also, how long before the voucher expires? You might have found someone else to do a deal with by then.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:38 AM   #6130
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Ah, left I see, from the Bruises thread. Still, it's going to make using that hand hard for awhile. Good job remembering to take a picture for us before it was sewn up.
Nice!
Old 12-15-2015, 07:15 AM   #6131
glatt

I should have taken a picture when they had the flap open. That was more dramatic and hamburgerish. But I would have felt self conscious doing that while the doc was examining it.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:38 AM   #6132
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Also, how long before the voucher expires? You might have found someone else to do a deal with by then.
I think this is my best bet. May even get them sent to Mum's house; we can have 3 x pie meals together!

Glatt - blimey that looks sore.
I don't know how you heal, but I know if that was me the whole hand would balloon and be unusable for weeks
Old 12-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #6133
glatt

Turns out it's not that bad. I'm able to function almost normally at work. Lifting boxes of documents is not advisable, but it can be done if I'm careful.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:25 AM   #6134
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Supermarkets.

It isn't the actual premises and certainly not the staff at my local branch who are a great bunch.

It isn't even the woman at the check out in front of me last week who appeared to have based her shopping list on the possibility of the Red Army dropping in unannounced for afternoon tea.

What really annoys me is the methods that are employed to make you spend more than you need. They would probably call it merchandising or marketing. I would call it sharp practise and chicanery.

Everyone is familiar with economies of scale. It's obviously cheaper to buy a box of one hundred teabags than two boxes of fifty. Except that it isn't on occasion, it's actually more expensive.

Similarly, two 500 gram bags of sultanas should cost more than a 1kg bag but they don't from time to time. The shopper in a hurry will just grab what should, on the face of it, be the cheaper option, and ends up paying more.

Then there's the periodic rearrangement of the whole store which means nobody can find anything. I've mentioned that one before so I won't revisit it.

There's also the practise of putting the costlier items on shelves at eye level. Look down at the lower shelves and you'll find the cheaper stuff there, but how many people bother?

It's probably the same in the US, Canada and Oz, but in the UK we have unit pricing regulations which means it should be possible to compare different size packs of the same, or similar, product for value.

Here's a couple of examples:

Not difficult to see which is the least expensive, given that the packs are the same size. But why is the unit price of one expressed in pence per 100 grams, and the other one in £ per kg?

That can be annoying when you're trying to compare packs of different sizes.

It's easy enough to shift a decimal point about, but we shouldn't have to do it.

Chicanery and sharp practise.

Last edited by Carruthers; 12-16-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #6135
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
why is the unit price of one expressed in pence per 100 grams, and the other one in £ per kg?
Sometime here, you will see one product as cents/ounce and another as dollars/pound. It makes doing math in your head much more tricky when you have to multiply by 16 to get the answer. I'd love to just move the decimal.

Tags
mild cheddar