The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 02-15-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
grazzers
Aim for the Best

Thumbs up Aberdeen, Scotland

Since there doesn't seem to be a lot about cities in this forum, i thought i'd add something. I live in Aberdeen in the northeast of Scotland, known as the Granite City for the large quantities of granite used in most of the buildings here, making it a rather dull gray city through-out. It's also known as the Oil-Capital of Europe since oil was found in the north sea, making it rather rich.

I myself quite like Aberdeen, since I've lived here all my life, but still can't wait to escape to Edinburgh this September for Uni, cos it's generally better.
grazzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Tell us more! Can you post pics? Billy, our main man in China, posted some great pics of his home and yard, etc. and it was great!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:58 PM   #3
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

Yes, please

Please torture me with pictures of Scotland. It's top on my list of places I want to visit.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:45 AM   #4
grazzers
Aim for the Best

Here's the pics you wanted

Sorry if some of the images are a bit dark, it's cloudy today and there's rain coming, plus the sun doesnt get very high here in winter.

This is my house. I live in the suburb of Bieldside, one of the well off areas in the city that has grown extensively since the oil boom created many well payed jobs. It's on the north side of the Dee valley about 5 miles from the city centre.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2005, 06:49 AM   #5
grazzers
Aim for the Best

Bieldside

This is a view over the Dee valley from the wall that marks the border between the houses and the forest further up the valley. To give an idea of scale, the far side is about 2 miles away.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2005, 06:53 AM   #6
grazzers
Aim for the Best

Greenery

Bieldside and the adjacent suburb of Cults are generally quite green, with many tree lined pathways linking cul-de-sacs of houses.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2005, 06:57 AM   #7
grazzers
Aim for the Best

Schools

Here are the local primary and secondary schools, Cults Primary and the larger Cults Academy. Both are in walking distance of my house. I went to Cults Primary when i was younger and I'm now in my last year at Cults academy. Both are known to be among the best schools in the city.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2005, 07:02 AM   #8
grazzers
Aim for the Best

Aberdeen

Here's a view down the Dee valley towards Aberdeen from Cults. There seems to be some smoke rising from somewhere further dwon, obscuring the view. The second pic is of a 737 flying over the area , coming from Aberdeen Airport. That's about the biggest aircraft that can land in Aberdeen, and many international flights have to re-fuel in England because the runway is too short for a fully fuel laden plane to take off here.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2005, 07:10 AM   #9
grazzers
Aim for the Best

Finally

This is the view up the Dee valley towards the mountains. It's a shame the photos aren't that high quality because at this time of year they are topped with snow and it is really quite a view. On a clear day you can see right down to Lochnagar, about 45 miles away and 1154m high, with a huge vertical cliff-face visible even from Aberdeen. It's quite spectacular.

There is quite a lot in Aberdeen itself, which i might be able to snap later if i get the chance.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2005, 07:27 AM   #10
grazzers
Aim for the Best

Apologies for sounding newbish, but i thought i remembered reading in the faq somewhere that there was a limit on the size of image you could upload, but looking at other posts, i see other peoples photos are far better quality. Is there a limit to size or not, because if not i could post much better quality pics than these. Anyone know?
Old 02-16-2005, 07:30 AM   #11
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I think the limit is just over 100K per image.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:32 AM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Grazzers-I can't help you with the technical question but I do thank you for the pics! It is so great to see other parts of the world and I really appreciate you sharing with us. This is what makes the Cellar so awesome! Thanks!!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:32 AM   #13
grazzers
Aim for the Best

Ok thanks HM, i should be able to get a better shot of the mountains at that quality.

ps Brianna, no problem, its the half term holidays and this is a great way to fill my time!
Old 02-16-2005, 01:17 PM   #14
Mr. Ears
RULER OF THE WORLD!!!

wow, looks like an awesome place to live, i wanna go there!
Old 02-16-2005, 01:45 PM   #15
grazzers
Aim for the Best

It's not bad, i can think of worse places to live. Oh, and there is heavy snowfall predicted for the weekend, so i should be able to get some good pics!