The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-31-2005, 09:10 AM   #76
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

yes, it's regional. We don't say it much in Ohio. Like this:
officeWorker #1---"what's for lunch?"
officeWorker#2---"Oh, I packed."
oW#1---"I want Skyline."
oW#2---"Me, too. Let's go!" (throws packed lunch out, or, saves it for tomorrow, or, most likely, some 2nd shift worker finds abandoned lunch and eats it at 11pm and no one is the wiser.)
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:41 AM   #77
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Stop it you two - all this talk of food is making me hungry. Presume you know the Englishman, Scotsman, Irishman sandwich joke - if not let me know and I'll post it on the humour thread.

As for 'brown bagging' - sounds extremely rude to me...!!
Old 10-31-2005, 09:54 AM   #78
mrnoodle
bent

"More fun than a barrel of monkeys" -- seems to me that just about anything is more fun than that. They're either dead, which is just gross, or they're alive, which is creepy.

Also got schooled recently on the "spittin image" term. It's not spitting image, it's a contraction of spirit and image. "That girl is the spirit and image of her mother," means the two are alike in both appearance and action.

What about various fuck-related curses? Are they just ways of using the word creatively, or do they mean something? "I don't give a flying fuck", "well fuck me running", "fuckin-A". Like, WTF do they mean?

Oh yeah. My mom had a good one -- "Well, you look like the morning after the night before." Hangover euphemism. Funnier if it's said with a particular inflection.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:59 AM   #79
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
Is it true that fortnight for 2 weeks isn't generally in use in the US?
Very true. And we can't figure out what the heck a "stone" is either, unless we're heaving it through someone's window.

(There is a social organization nearby for mental patients called Fortnighters, because when they formed (30 or 40 years ago) they met once every two weeks. None of the current members know why the club is called Fortnighters.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:01 AM   #80
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Cheers for the spitting image explanation, never heard that before.
A guy I knew used to say "Just like the spit from his/ her mouth" to indicate resemblance..... I didn't like to think too hard about that one.

My Mum says burnt to buggery, bored to buggery, hurts like buggery. I'm worried to ask her about personal experience.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:05 AM   #81
wolf
lobber of scimitars

"Brown Bagging" has fallen out of use because hardly anyone has the brown bags anymore ... There used to be two ways you got lunchbags. One was that you bought a batch of them at the grocery store. The other was that you purchased small items at a grocery or variety store and they were given to you in the small brown bag that just happens to be the right size for a lunch.

Well ...

Stores don't use those brown bags anymore, you get plastic. And the supermarkets only have the full-size brown bags, and they hide them under the cash registers. You have to ask for them special ("Can you bag me paper in plastic?") It doesn't make the plastic bag any stronger, that's what double bagging is for, but the traditional brown bags do keep your stuff standing up straighter, and the bread doesn't get squished.

Anyway.

If you take your lunch to school or work or whatever these days, you usually have some kind of special vinyl lunch bag to take it in.

Mine has the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on it, but only because I couldn't find a Star Wars or a SpongeBob. I actually have trouble cramming stuff in there sometimes (grown up dinners are bigger than kid lunches) so I've lately been using a gift bag. That has Star Wars on it, so it's all good.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 10-31-2005, 10:11 AM   #82
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
What about various fuck-related curses? Are they just ways of using the word creatively, or do they mean something? "I don't give a flying fuck", "well fuck me running", "fuckin-A". Like, WTF do they mean?
Fuck if I know , but my favorite is "oh, for fuck sake!"
Old 10-31-2005, 10:13 AM   #83
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

I think I got muddled between 'brown-bagging' and a 'double-bagger' which is a rather unkind way to describe an unattractive lady - dangerous territory I'm entering here so I'll stop immediately (no double-entendre meant, but can see how that thought might arise....)
Old 10-31-2005, 10:17 AM   #84
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Stores don't use those brown bags anymore, you get plastic.
Actually, if you buy stuff in glass bottles, some stores will put the glass bottles in lunch-size paper bags to protect them from breaking.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:19 AM   #85
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Around here jars of pickles and peanut butter just have to take their chances. Glassware, pottery, and stuff like that gets wrapped in two of the plastic bags.

Old 10-31-2005, 10:35 AM   #86
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
Fuck if I know , but my favorite is "oh, for fuck sake!"
Or an airborne attempt of actual intercourse at a perambulating perforated piece of pastry.

More simply... A flying fuck at a rolling donut.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:36 AM   #87
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
I think I got muddled between 'brown-bagging' and a 'double-bagger' which is a rather unkind way to describe an unattractive lady - dangerous territory I'm entering here so I'll stop immediately (no double-entendre meant, but can see how that thought might arise....)
It describes an unattractive person round here....
As well as the obvious covering the head with the bags, I've heard it used to describe a man who is considered a bit of a tart - you make him double bag it for your own sexual safety...
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:42 AM   #88
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Imperial weights and measures - know some of them but not all:

pound - something to do with the size of stones used to pound the wheatears to remove the grain prior to milling, I think

stone - the largest stone in the process - 14 pounders were roughly the equivalent in weight of the larger stone

Funny how so many of these have something to do with agriculture, like...

yard - something to do with the length of the step ('foot' is the average foot size and a step or yard is three of those) - not sure more than that - there's a yardstick, being a standard measure of the step, but not sure why it's called that - then there are 22 yards (steps) to a chain...

chain - the length of the chain from the plough to the horse's 'collar' or yoke, and there are 10 chains to a furlong (links to the yard when one imagines the ploughman walking behind...)

furlong - literally a 'furrow long' - the length of the furrow in a ploughed field, obviously 220 yards, and then there are 8 furlongs to a mile (1760 yards)...

All quite logical in a rural sort of way....

Last edited by Cyclefrance; 10-31-2005 at 11:00 AM.
Cyclefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:45 AM   #89
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
It describes an unattractive person round here....
As well as the obvious covering the head with the bags, I've heard it used to describe a man who is considered a bit of a tart - you make him double bag it for your own sexual safety...
Quite right too! (seeking safe harbour....)
Old 10-31-2005, 06:09 PM   #90
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I've heard that what is commonly known as a "piggy-back" ride among people my age was originally a "pick-a-back" ride, before lazy tongues got ahold of it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote