The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-24-2004, 01:14 AM   #61
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There, it works, I've washed my brain, my mind is clean as a whistle. Now I have to finish up by cleaning the rest of me. I'll have to take a shower so I'll take my clothes off and get naked. Damn.....now I have to start all over again.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:17 AM   #62
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
Water has been discovered to be a very useful substance to aid in the cleansing of numerous objects. Studies have proven it also as an essential factor in hygiene for all parts of the human anatomy, including the brain.You will be updated as results from the experiment are revealed...............
I prefer whiskey. I am given to understand that it contains water. Can I substitute safely if I carefully follow the package directions?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:46 AM   #63
wah
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Quote:
I prefer whiskey. I am given to understand that it contains water. Can I substitute safely if I carefully follow the package directions?
Be careful. Whiskey includes alcohol, which is water without one of them hydrogens (OH). It tends to cause the mind to spin. The body can also be "trained" to enjoy this spin, to need the spin, and such a 'disease' is called alcoholism.

So be careful with that fire water. Personally, I'm a scotch and water kind of guy myself, when I take a drink, but to each their own.
wah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:00 AM   #64
404Error
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wah
Be careful. Whiskey includes alcohol, which is water without one of them hydrogens (OH). It tends to cause the mind to spin. The body can also be "trained" to enjoy this spin, to need the spin, and such a 'disease' is called alcoholism.

So be careful with that fire water. Personally, I'm a scotch and water kind of guy myself, when I take a drink, but to each their own.

Wah, are you, or have you ever been a *client* at Wolf's place of employment?

or maybe he's flippant's alter ego...humm?
Old 11-24-2004, 12:04 PM   #65
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by wah
It's a shame to know that you'd ruin scotch that way. Probably put ice in it to, don't you, you philistine!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 11-24-2004, 12:52 PM   #66
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wah

Actually, White zinfadel and a percocet has been my choice of late. I'm sure the wine has sufficient H2O. Maybe It's the percocet thats counteracting the
positive cleansing effects of the wine. There are many people who enjoy the spin. 1 in 10 are alcoholics. Alcoholism is defined as when the use causes significant problems in ones life. There are actually people who drink daily.
These people defined by the Big Book of A.A. are considered heavy drinkers.
I have known people who drank beer etc.. everyday, but it never caused them
problems such as jails, institutions, or any of the other problems that are caused by alcoholism....
Old 11-24-2004, 01:08 PM   #67
wah
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Quote:
Wah, are you, or have you ever been a *client* at Wolf's place of employment?
I'm guessing by that you mean either an institution for the mentally unstable or a prison, eh?

Umm, I've been to 'jail' before (DUI, to continue the threadjack)...there's a story there, as per.

As to the other, I get to that well down in this mefi thread. [search word: "foucault" & "insanity"]

Also, I agree with the 'social definition' of alcoholism. Many of those who 'need' the substance everyday are quite capable of leading mostly normal lives, but, I think most would agree, it puts quite a strain on things. Things like your 'liver'.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:16 PM   #68
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

NEWSFLASH

************Whiskey Contains Alcohol..........................................

Imagine that.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:23 PM   #69
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Wolf: Allow me to guess where you work.
Ithink you reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, And experience 2-3 hours of happiness each work day (during the evening hours). Also there is probably one evening each week that you show some favoritism to ladies. Hmmmmmmmm
this is a hard one.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:54 PM   #70
lookout123
changed his status to single

i find it disturbing and amusing that some cellarites continue to think that in order for a soldier to do his job (kill people and blow shit up) , he must either be brainwashed or have a cold dark heart full of murderous intent.

while there are some individuals that fall into that category currently wearing the uniform, you won't find them in much greater proportion than you would in everyday civilian society. most professional soldiers understand that it is a job. that is not to say that they were forced into it by dire financial need and they would run away if there was any other choice. the military men and women fill a special calling. those that choose to stay more than one enlistment understand that.

as individuals they have their own ideas of right/wrong, just/unjust - just the same as everyone in here. they accept the fact that the execution of their duties will, at times, require the death of someone. they understand that their actions and decisions will pick who that someone will be - themselves or someone who is in the same position but from another nation or organization. it is as simple as that.

i've got 13 years in the military and this is a conversation that i've had and heard in a lot of different places with a lot of different military members. i don't hold any particular hatred for the person i may fire my weapon at. i'm sure they've got a family and friends that love them. but i don't really give a shit. they are on the other side. whether it is by their choice(jihadists), or a politician's choice (iraqi or american), is unimportant. they are people but they are also targets, just as i am in their eyes.

professional soldiers know that it isn't up to us mete out justice. we're not naive. we are the "big stick" that allows politicians to negotiate and lead in the direction they feel is appropriate. sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong. it doesn't really matter that much on the ground what led up to the war, only the most effective way to eliminate those that stand in the way of the path our government has chosen.

and CapnHowdy - Wolf is most definitely not a bartender.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:17 PM   #71
wah
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Quote:
Probably put ice in it to, don't you, you philistine!
I put ice in my milk. I just try and drink it faster than it melts...same with the scotch.

The water is only to soften the blow. Once a few go down, the stuff tastes like candy, and the water is ordered on the side.

lookout123, I agree with pretty much everything you said. The 'brainwasing' is just 'heavy training'. That story showed how useful it is for maintaining discipline under intense circumstances. I know the vast majority of soldiers, like regular people, are not psychopaths. I would argue there is a <i>slightly</i> larger percentage, however, and that the percentage increases given one's exposure to war. It also makes for a number of <i>extremely steady</I> people too, and probably a good bit more of those that on the other end of the spectrum. To shift gears wildly, I'd say that Palestine is a good example of a breeding ground for psychopaths and heroes. Israel, to some extent, is the same, but with wealth comes class and the actions look different.

Anyway, thanks for a good conversation. I just noticed the IOTD rss feed, so will probably be around more often. Nice to meet ya'll.

Old 11-25-2004, 12:05 AM   #72
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
Wolf: Allow me to guess where you work.
This is going to be fun. I can feel it. Mystery Guest, would you sign in please?

Quote:
I think you reserve the right to refuse service to anyone,
Actually, I'm not really allowed to refuse service to anyone, including those with no ability to provide payment.

Quote:
And experience 2-3 hours of happiness each work day (during the evening hours).
No. Although there is occasionaly hysterical laughter, happiness does not come in 2-3 hour stretches.

Quote:
Also there is probably one evening each week that you show some favoritism to ladies.
Only on "used up crack whore" night. This is not a regularly scheduled event, but we do sometimes have "theme nights."

Quote:
Hmmmmmmmm. this is a hard one.
Some of the walls are, yes.

I'm sorry panel, but we're just going to have to declare this round over.

Old 11-25-2004, 03:58 AM   #73
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Israel, to some extent, is the same, but with wealth comes class and the actions look different.
With wealth comes class? Bwahahahahaha.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:15 AM   #74
wah
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Quote:
With wealth comes class?
"social class". Dropping a bomb from an F-16 Looks different than strapping one to one's chest. It is an option only available to the wealthy. Our current "limited" and "targeted" war in Iraq is also a concept that only becomes a possibility when fighting from a position of tremendous relative wealth. There is the assumption that 'class' (in the classical sense) comes along with such a position, but such is just an assumption based on perception of action relative to one's culture.