The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I'm getting married too (again)

My sweetheart and I are going to tie the knot.

She is busily planning the wedding and I am preparing to move to Texas. For reasons best left to imagination, she is unable to live outside a desert environment for long.

One question: Am I wrong for NOT wanting to be married by/with Elvis in Las Vegas as she is hoping? I always thought a wedding should be at least a BIT serious (lifetime commitment and all) and not too zaftig. I don't mind some frivolity but I think I should draw the line at that. Or is it possible that she is pulling my chain and I'm too dense to know it?

I know a church wedding is out so it's going to be a JP or similar. I might be cool with a handfasting if I get to wear my skirt^H^H^H^H^H kilt and she hasn't ruled it out either, pending a Googling to see what it actually involves.

Mostly I just wish she would make up her mind about simple little things...like wether to invite family or not. My family cannot make the trip to Texas, hers cannot make it to PA. She will simply DIE if not kept warm (truism of living with her). Looks like Vegas is a done deal but I cannot quite get over the whole Elvis thing. Or Star Trek, or any other silly theme wedding idea.

Yes, I know the wedding is really about HER and not ME. I'm just a bit player in a huge stage show really. That's why I can get away with a $100 tux while she has to choose from a bewildering array of frocks and price tags, depending on the wedding she chooses. I got it easy really, I think. All I have to do is nod and say "Whatever you want dear. It's YOUR wedding day and I want you to treasure it forever." I know I have to make some small decisions like which font to use on the invitations (from the list SHE gives me) and such. I am cool with all that part.

What I really need is advice on how to participate in a meaningful way in the whole wedding discussion without winding up on the sofa. Ideas anyone?