The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #1411
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

"Millionaire" is a measure of wealth, not income. Plenty of people making over $250K have over $1 million net worth.

But that's beside the point. The proposed millionaire tax is on income over $1 million. If someone with enough income over $1 million per year to care about the tax isn't a millionaire, then taxes aren't their problem.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #1412
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
"Millionaire" is a measure of wealth, not income. Plenty of people making over $250K have over $1 million net worth.

But that's beside the point. The proposed millionaire tax is on income over $1 million. If someone with enough income over $1 million per year to care about the tax isn't a millionaire, then taxes aren't their problem.
President Zero uses the term "the wealthy" at every chance he gets...

"A millionaire (originally and sometimes still millionnaire[1]) is an individual whose net worth or wealth is equal to or exceeds one million units of currency." wiki.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #1413
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
How many? Does that include those who make over $1 million? Maybe that's what Zero is doing, guessing there are plenty of people who make over $250k are actually closet millionaires.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #1414
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

are you being deliberately dumb about this? If so, you're doing a remarkable job of it.

I'm tired of giving your crap the time of day when you act this way. When you just call names and holler making outrageous and unhelpful statements... I'm done trying to have a serious dialog when only one of us is serious. Get back to me when you grow up.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #1415
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Just how long do you expect to live?

KIDDING. I KID. I got no dog in this race, and even if I did he'd probably maul somebody.

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #1416
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
are you being deliberately dumb about this? If so, you're doing a remarkable job of it.

I'm tired of giving your crap the time of day when you act this way. When you just call names and holler making outrageous and unhelpful statements... I'm done trying to have a serious dialog when only one of us is serious. Get back to me when you grow up.
Ask HM those questions, I was only answering his comments.

And you obviously have a problem with that.

Why should I have a serious dialog with a person, you, who thinks they know everything already and need not look at what other people post to support their positions? You mind is much more closed than you let yourself on to be...
Old 09-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #1417
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Just how long do you expect to live?

KIDDING. I KID. I got no dog in this race, and even if I did he'd probably maul somebody.

This long:

{-----------------------------------------------------------------> x 1 million pi + the speed of light to the 2 millionth power-------}
Old 09-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #1418
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Ask HM those questions, I was only answering his comments.

And you obviously have a problem with that.

Why should I have a serious dialog with a person, you, who thinks they know everything already and need not look at what other people post to support their positions? You mind is much more closed than you let yourself on to be...
I conclude from this reply that you aren't being deliberately dumb on this subject, therefore, there must be some other explanation, like you really do not understand the difference between wealth and income. That's fine, fine, really, you have lots and lots of company.

As for what I obviously have a problem with... I have a problem attempting to have a serious conversation about a serious subject with someone, you, who regularly uses language that I left behind on the playground. president zero, republickins, demoncrats, etc ad nauseam. It's childish and disrespectful. Disrespectful to me because you are acting like this is the kind of language *I* use to think critically. I don't. And that is the part I have a problem with. I can't have a conversation with someone who persists in using that kind of language.

You're right, my mind is closed in this regard. I close my mind to the words of a child that is having a tantrum and says things that are clearly untrue, clearly emotionally saturated. If I didn't I'd be at risk of being drawn into an argument on those terms. What could be the best possible outcome of such an indulgence on my part? That you would actually persuade me that the Democrats are really demons? Or that Republicans lick pubes (I hear a long U sound when you use that way). Really? I mean, let's say we get into it and you WIN! What has been accomplished? Not a fucking thing. That's why I won't engage you until you start talking like a grown up. Or I lose my cool and start spouting playground insults.

As for why you should have a serious dialog with me, my answer is that by means of a serious dialog, each of us has a chance to learn something we didn't know before. Your idea that I think I already know everything would be very early on that list of things you could learn, if we only had a serious conversation. I wonder if you are referring to a recent set of posts and links from politifact discussing taxation. In that case, I did already know the things I posted about before I read the information at that link. What I read confirmed what I'd already said.

It is a measure of my open mindedness that I have let you throw so much trash in it. I'm closing my mind to more of your garbage.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #1419
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

in summary,
Old 09-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #1420
SamIam

Motto of the Cellar Politics Forum:

"I'm right and the rest of you are incredibly stupid."

That's what makes the "discussions" around here so compelling.

Eh? What?
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #1421
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #1422
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Interesting. I've seen that before. Let me ask you UT, do you think I've treated TheMercenary terribly?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #1423
infinite monkey

I stopped watching at number 2.

'They' ARE idiots.

(disclaimer: 'they' in no way refers to any individual or entity that you know of, and these views do not necessarily reflect the views of the Cellar. Content may not be duplicated without the express written consent of 'them')
Old 09-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #1424
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

well, then you tuned out before she said the third conclusion is that "they" are evil, then said this strong attachment to our sense of being "right" causes us to treat others terribly.

this is what I was asking about.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #1425
infinite monkey

Afterward do we get to hold hands and sing Kumbaya?

'Cause I really need me some Kumbaya.