The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2004, 07:45 PM   #16
wolf
lobber of scimitars

A newstory that I read this morning indicated that one of the most haunting aspects of the scene were the cellphones of the dead ringing and ringing ... that's probably why there are many photos of people checking phones.

I have heard similar statements from EMTs and Firefighters at accident scenes with fatalities ... the cell phones ring, and there is no one left to answer them. It's a stark reminder for the EMS professionals that the individual they are "holding the tarp" for has someone, somewhere who is still expecting them to come home.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 08:33 PM   #17
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by Uryoces
That is the problem, in a nutshell. Blowing the Al Queda fuckers' families away to be more precise. It simply provides more fuel for their pretzel interpretation of Islam.

The difference between you, Leah and a terrorist is that this is the way you feel versus what you would act on. The terrorists have no qualms about acting on those feelings. I would lie if I didn't want to see every every arabic and persian capital city disappear under a mushroom cloud on the afternoon of September 11, 2001. I realized this wasn't a very productive line of thought, and mostly got over it. I imagine that Spanish and American intelligence will find the culprits within a few weeks, and there will be arrest, trials, jailtime, and possibly executions, though I am no expert on Spanish law and capital punishment.
The problem with your reasoning is that a thorough job of genocide WOULD solve the problem. That problem at least.

The other side of the coin is that a thorough job wouldn't be done.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:07 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The difference between you, Leah and a terrorist is that this is the way you feel versus what you would act on.
How do you know she's not a natural born killer?
Old 03-11-2004, 11:07 PM   #19
mrnoodle
bent

The thing is, when They(tm) do something like this, you are almost justified in turning an entire time zone into molten glass, if only to prevent it from happening again. Almost.

Just ask any Israeli. Or Palestinian.

Civilization hasn't taken over Antarctica yet, has it? I think I'll relocate.
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:30 PM   #20
mutating string
Questionist

Quote:
Originally posted by glatt

Thanks, Leah, for showing us all what it looks like inside the mind of a terrorist.
If we aspire to be "better", we're doomed, sorry to say. Be quick or be dead, the choice is yours (that includes families - ours or theirs. Feel free to call me names, but I choose my family to live )

Last edited by mutating string; 03-11-2004 at 11:36 PM.
mutating string is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:45 PM   #21
Olikat
Fellow-Commoner

Que Triste

Quote:
Originally posted by dar512
Might not be the basques. AP says
I'm wondering if the ETA isn't trying to make it look like al-Qaida. I'm also wondering if the backpacks were planted or if there were suicide bombers. They said the explossives are the same that the ETA usually uses. But then again Spain DID heartily support the US in our "War against terrorism". Hopefully those responsible will be found.

In the mean time I hope ample medical and psychological support is provided to those in need.

lo siento mucho

Olikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:59 PM   #22
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by mutating string
Feel free to call me names, but I choose my family to live
In the grand scheme of things, I say, "No you don't." You and your family could die in your sleep tonight due to CO poisoning. Or you could win the lottery tomorrow. We can only make decisions and support decisions that we think are best for us. But in the end, life is a game of craps.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:52 AM   #23
Mundofer
Alphabetarian

Quote:
I imagine that Spanish and American intelligence will find the culprits within a few weeks, and there will be arrest, trials, jailtime, and possibly executions, though I am no expert on Spanish law and capital punishment.
There is no capital punishment in Spain (not in any country of the European Community) and I'm happy about that, even in this situation.
Regarding the political effects of this terrorist act, It depends of who did it. If it was ETA, this will bring support for the actual government (right winged) that has a hard position against any basque political party (even those that are pacific), but if it was islamic, it will bring support to the opposition (left winged) that had a strong opposition against spanish intervention in the iraqui war.
Dave Clark, Chairman of the Internet Activities Board (IETF)
==============================
Mundofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 03:14 AM   #24
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Quote:
Originally posted by Troubleshooter

The problem with your reasoning is that a thorough job of genocide WOULD solve the problem. That problem at least.

The other side of the coin is that a thorough job wouldn't be done.
I would most definitely like to call whatever group or people the terrorists come from friends, and more precisely that they would not be terrorists.

Genocide is a very, very naughty thing, and not at all friendly.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:52 AM   #25
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by Troubleshooter
If we define "thorough" as including everyone who would want to retaliate against us once we started, it would have to include all moral people.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 10:21 AM   #26
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
A newstory that I read this morning indicated that one of the most haunting aspects of the scene were the cellphones of the dead ringing and ringing ......snip...
According to friends who worked at Ground Zero, for days afterwards, you'd hear cell phones ring in the pile. The knew the same thing - someone trying to get in touch with a lost loved one
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 10:31 AM   #27
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
I would most definitely like to call whatever group or people the terrorists come from friends, and more precisely that they would not be terrorists.

Genocide is a very, very naughty thing, and not at all friendly.
War has settled more arguments, more thoroughly than ANY other option, sad to say. But somethimes it is the ONLY option.

I don't want to be their friend, I just want to not be bombed again.

Did America (or Spain) deserve it? No.

Has America done things that would make people want to do it? Yes.

Regardless of what America has done though, immediate, thorough, precise and well documented elimination of the threat posed is the order of the day.

Not what is going on now.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:33 AM   #28
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy Monkey
If we define "thorough" as including everyone who would want to retaliate against us once we started, it would have to include all moral people.
How so?

Define which morality.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:14 AM   #29
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

The morality that says genocide is evil. I'm sure you can find people who don't agree, but that's universal enough that I feel no need to defend it.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:24 PM   #30
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy Monkey
The morality that says genocide is evil. I'm sure you can find people who don't agree, but that's universal enough that I feel no need to defend it.
That's the funny thing about universality. It's only universal if EVERYONE agrees.